• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gouge for Selectees of FY22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Squirrel Girl

During the application process I was told that, for DCO applicants, ODS counts as AT in your first year. I reported to my unit today, and was enrolled in the October ODS class. I was told that, because ODS starts in the next Fiscal Year, I need to do AT before that in order to have a "good year".

Has this happened to anyone before? Trying to do an AT between now and October will be very difficult for me, and trying to go to an ODS class that starts earlier than October will be even more difficult given that I had long planned (with my unit's okay) family & work stuff on not going until October.
Because the new FY in October, this is correct. I'm also in your ODS class (most likely) and have to do AT at the end of next month or risk not being good for the year.

number9

Contributor
Because the new FY in October, this is correct. I'm also in your ODS class (most likely) and have to do AT at the end of next month or risk not being good for the year.
There's an ODS class that starts mid-September. If I attended that class, they're not sure if those days in September would "count" towards the AT requirement because that class will start in this FY but end in the next FY. What do you think?

The other alternative is try to get and a waiver for the AT requirement this year. I feel as if I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because my first DWE was in June, I don't have NMCI access, my clearance is still pending, and so actually doing an AT between now and October is going to be logistically tricky.

Squirrel Girl

There's an ODS class that starts mid-September. If I attended that class, they're not sure if those days in September would "count" towards the AT requirement because that class will start in this FY but end in the next FY. What do you think?

The other alternative is try to get and a waiver for the AT requirement this year. I feel as if I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because my first DWE was in June, I don't have NMCI access, my clearance is still pending, and so actually doing an AT between now and October is going to be logistically tricky.
That class is FY 22 and should count as AT. The first FY 23 class is the October class.

number9

Contributor
That class is FY 22 and should count as AT. The first FY 23 class is the October class.
Even though it starts in one FY and ends in another? There was some concern that the dates wouldn't be "finalized" (I forget the exact term) or added to my personnel record until October, which would put be on the naughty list.

Squirrel Girl

Even though it starts in one FY and ends in another? There was some concern that the dates wouldn't be "finalized" (I forget the exact term) or added to my personnel record until October, which would put be on the naughty list.
You'd have to get that confirmed/maybe someone here knows. I'm just a new person who is biting the bullet and doing the 2 weeks of AT to cover my butt.

number9

Contributor
You'd have to get that confirmed/maybe someone here knows. I'm just a new person who is biting the bullet and doing the 2 weeks of AT to cover my butt.
Roger that. Out of curiosity, what/where are you doing your AT? One suggestion I got was "Go to the NOSC for two weeks and do GMTs all day"

Also, I can't wait to get to ODS in October and ask random people, "Hey are you Squirrel Girl?" :D

fy18dco

Yes, what you described is pretty normal. You won’t need to necessarily go to ODS for your AT this FY but you will need to do a 12 day AT this FY to have a good year. (Or, your unit submits an AT waiver which makes way more sense for a new DIRCOM.)

fy18dco

Also, reservists are unable to go to ODS in mid-September to ensure they don’t cross FYs. It’s an administrative nightmare and OTCN will not allow any reservist in the Sep running for that reason. 0 exceptions.

number9

Contributor
Also, reservists are unable to go to ODS in mid-September to ensure they don’t cross FYs. It’s an administrative nightmare and OTCN will not allow any reservist in the Sep running for that reason. 0 exceptions.
Yes, what you described is pretty normal. You won’t need to necessarily go to ODS for your AT this FY but you will need to do a 12 day AT this FY to have a good year. (Or, your unit submits an AT waiver which makes way more sense for a new DIRCOM.)
I appreciate both of your replies. I didn't know that about the mid-September class, but that makes sense. Is there a reference for this anywhere?

Am I right in saying that I need AT (or a waiver) for a good year, but not a certain amount of DWEs for a good year my first year? I don't think I could get enough DWEs between now and October if I tried. Surely they have thought of that.

If I get an AT waiver and go to ODS next fiscal year, do I need to find a way to do a PRT this FY?

TheClyde

Based on my reading of the slides, it almost seems like you need 40 drill periods in the prior 12 months, but they measure that by determining if you have more than 8 unauthorized absences.

fy18dco

I appreciate both of your replies. I didn't know that about the mid-September class, but that makes sense. Is there a reference for this anywhere?

Am I right in saying that I need AT (or a waiver) for a good year, but not a certain amount of DWEs for a good year my first year? I don't think I could get enough DWEs between now and October if I tried. Surely they have thought of that.

If I get an AT waiver and go to ODS next fiscal year, do I need to find a way to do a PRT this FY?
You’ll need an AT (or AT waiver this FY). Your drills that you’re responsible for are listed within EDM under this FY. It will be the months between your commission and the end of the FY, but to answer your question—this FY will not count as a “good year” because you won’t hit 40/48. Not a big deal, just not going to count at retirement.

You’ll need to get your PHA and PFA done this cycle as well. Those are separate requirements from drill attendance and AT.

And all of that said—talk to your unit.

jzz001

Just a related question. I've heard horror stories from some prior IWC DCO selects who had to wait longer than a year to go to ODS because all of the classes were full. If worst comes to worst and that happens to me, I won't get screwed over and administratively separated, correct? In other words, if through no fault of my own, I'm unable to complete ODS within one year of commissioning, there's going to be some sort of process to deal with that, right?

fy18dco

Yes, there is a process but ODS seats are much easier to come by than in the COVID years. You’ll be told when your ODS date is but if for some reason it’s outside of your 12 month window, it’ll be handled at your unit level.

RNIOBC 1/2, on the other hand, are completely different stories. Expect to wait a least a year before attending either.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
During the application process I was told that, for DCO applicants, ODS counts as AT in your first year. I reported to my unit today, and was enrolled in the October ODS class. I was told that, because ODS starts in the next Fiscal Year, I need to do AT before that in order to have a "good year".

Has this happened to anyone before? Trying to do an AT between now and October will be very difficult for me, and trying to go to an ODS class that starts earlier than October will be even more difficult given that I had long planned (with my unit's okay) family & work stuff on not going until October.
When did you commission and when did you start drilling?

You need 50 points for a good year. 15 points are given to you just for breathing, 48 points come from drill (1/drill day, 2/month) and add another 12 for ATs so in a normal year you get 75 points. If you just started drilling in June, you aren't going to make 50 points even with an AT anyway (15 given+8 drill days+12 AT=38).

You can always ask for an AT waiver, this way you can avoid issues of not having done an AT. Otherwise, they may put you on orders to the command or to go sit at the NOSC/NRC for 2 weeks and watch the paint dry or the grass grow.