• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good video on Israeli F-15 mid-air

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
More importantly, what's a Viper doing with two Harpoons underneath the wings? nice!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More importantly, what's a Viper doing with two Harpoons underneath the wings? nice!

looking for a mission....even some B-52s had capability to carry Harpoon just in case Navy needed some help with war at sea

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully not a repost. Good video on how tough the F-15 is. I know an F-15 took an infra red Soviet made Atoll in an engine as well and the Israeli pilot flew it home and even downed a Mig-21 in the process.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/F15.wmv

This episode had even McDonnell Douglas scratching thier heads as they tried it in a simulator later and they couldn't land it without crashing. McDonnell Douglas shipped them a new wing and had it back in the air within two months. We flew an Israeli general less than a year afterwards and he said the CO demoted the pilot for failing to obey the instructor's command to eject, but then promoted him back to original rank for saving a valuable jet.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
looking for a mission....even some B-52s had capability to carry Harpoon just in case Navy needed some help with war at sea

I could be totally wrong here, but I think I was told that the IDF/AF Vipers carry harps with more frequency than those USAF Viper drivers. I'm not seeing any tailmarkings, could this jet be an Israeli model?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could be totally wrong here, but I think I was told that the IDF/AF Vipers carry harps with more frequency than those USAF Viper drivers. I'm not seeing any tailmarkings, could this jet be an Israeli model?

Not an Israeli jet, they have pretty distinctive paint job on their birds.

Here is some info from Lockheed and F-16.net about the Harpoon and the F-16. F-16.net has the most detailed history and says the USAF lost interest in it but several other coutries retain and use the capability.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article12.html

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/1997/articles/jul_97/july4a_97.html

P.S. It is amazing what you can find when you type "F-16 Harpoon" into Google..........;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's a good pic of Israeli F-16's:

IF-16s.jpg

My boss just loves to talk about his glory days and always mentions the one big furball he was involved in. He was JO flying the Tomcat and they went 4v4 against Israeli F-16's. It was supposed to be one pass, knock it off for poltical reasons. He claims they started and we finished it. That's his favorite story, I hear it quite a lot....."did I tell you about the time we went up against Israeli F-16??".....yes, D-day, just yesterday. Have some more rum :)

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
...I don't think that story would ever get old. I ran into an F-4 vietnam POW today at work. Saw the POW license plate, took one look at the guy in the brick and stone isle and never questioned that he flew at one time. Would love to have a few drinks with that guy...I'm sure he has a million stories.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
F-15 one wing landing

Amazing airmanship and aircraft. Holy crap! Even an A-10 would have problems with this!

1wing.jpg

The full story:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is a VERY old repost, and a tribute to the Israeli badass mentality. Having many Israeli friends I laugh...

"Ehhh.... wing? You don't need to land with wing. I land with NO wings! No problem!"

Think Zohan... hahah.