• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good video on Israeli F-15 mid-air

lucian_boy

just to give some local news in my area on NAS Oceana Virginia 2 F-18 landed safely after a MAC and both A/C were bit up very bad. It was not like that F-15 though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
just to give some local news in my area on NAS Oceana Virginia 2 F-18 landed safely after a MAC and both A/C were bit up very bad. It was not like that F-15 though.

yeah the pics from that mishap weren't nearly as bad IMHO as the pics of this F-15

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hopefully not a repost. Good video on how tough the F-15 is. I know an F-15 took an infra red Soviet made Atoll in an engine as well and the Israeli pilot flew it home and even downed a Mig-21 in the process.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/F15.wmv

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Wow. Incredible video. Didn't know the F-15 had a tailhook (obviously just for field arrestments, not CV ops). Is that on all of them, or just something the Israeli's added?

Couldn't imagine looking back and seeing your wing missing.:eek:

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
The have hooks for emergency situations that can arise. All AF bases that I have been to have arresting wires on the approach ends of certian runways for emergencies.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
At the local AF base I lived near which shared runways with the civilian side had these markers at one end of the runway that were a black box with a orange circle inside. I asked about it and the AF pilot said they called them donuts and would call out something on landing if the brakes failed to catch the plane (basically a wire that would lift up). As far as I can remember, the F-16 has no tailhook and it was to catch the landing gear.

There is a longer version on the Internet of this video and when I get home, see if I can find it, but it goes into how the manufactures were amazed at the story and sent engineers to see how it was possible. Came to the conclusion that he was going fast enough to treat the jet like a guided rocket.

In the interview he skips over some mind boggling details that I would like to know. For example, how did he know that adding afterburners was going to solve the problem, or why did he attempt is in the first place, is this a standard procedure to add more gas to the engine after colliding? Also, how did he know what airspeed to maintain? Did he cruise around while leaking fuel to see what kept the plane upright? If so, he should add single wing stall speeds to OPS Limits ;)

Back to work... :sleep_125

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not only does the F-15 have a tailhook, the F-16 (yes the viper has a hook), F-5, F-4, F-105, F-100, F-104, F-106, all have/had tailhooks. Look closely at the pics of these planes underneath the rear fuselage.

In fact, the F-117 has a tailhook too. However due to stealth needs the tailhook is located inside a door under the fuselage that opens and the hook drops out. the A-10 is the only AF "fighter" aircraft without a tailhook.

back on topic: an F-15 from the 97th here at Langley had a midair with an F-16 from Nellis out in Alaska earlier this week. The f-15 guy had to jump out but the Viper guy was able to land the plane. So much for the law of gross tonnage.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Huh?! :hypnotize

Why does that little tidbit confuse you? Here's a pic of an F-16 for example and it looks like there's a hook.

F-16hook.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In the interview he skips over some mind boggling details that I would like to know. For example, how did he know that adding afterburners was going to solve the problem, or why did he attempt is in the first place, is this a standard procedure to add more gas to the engine after colliding? Also, how did he know what airspeed to maintain? Did he cruise around while leaking fuel to see what kept the plane upright? If so, he should add single wing stall speeds to OPS Limits ;)

Back to work... :sleep_125

Perhaps he didn't know all those things. Sometimes, being lucky is better than being good. A friend of mine was flying the mighty C-2A when the stbd vertical tail separated from the aircraft, just came right off. There was certainly no EP for that situation. They also didn't know what was wrong with the aircraft either. They flew the aircraft in a way where it felt normal, did landing checks at altitude, testing the landing characteristics of the airplane. Once on the ground, they found out what was missing.