• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good places to live

Rocky3168

Im reporting to API in October, what are some of the better areas to live in/around Pcola? Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

saltpeter

The walls of the API building used to be filled with fellow students looking for roommates. My preference is to live with the person who offers the largest amount of free gouge.

Rocky3168

Im more curious as to areas of Pcola, not living situations. I mean is it better to live by the beach, in town or what?

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
A large number of API students live in Northern Pensacola in the region around 9 Mile Road and University Parkway. There are a number of good quality apartment complexes, with most being very friendly to military members. These apartments are about 30 minutes from NAS Pensacola, but offer a convienent commute to Whiting Field if you end up there for Primary. I'm not as familiar with the living situation down by NAS P'cola, so hopefully someone else can give you the pro's and cons for that area.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Avoid Village of Southern Oaks in NW Pcola.

Salt - all the gouge I have found has been free...
Rocky - the areas of Pcola generally fall into a few catagories; beach, near NASP, NW, and 9mile and University.

Beach - good place to live but longer commute. Also more prone to hurricane evacs and rely on a single road to get into town so traffic is on and off.
Near NASP - Heard good things but there aren't too many places.
NW - Far from everywhere, don't live there...
9mile and University - lots of students but can be a long commute to both NASP and NASWF if you end up there.

There are only two main routes to get from Pcola to Milton (NASWF) so traffic can drastically change the time it takes.

pdx

HSM Pilot
A lot of students split the difference between Whiting and Pensacola. They live in the Marcus Point, Governors Gate, Crestview triangle.

Personally, I would live out back toward Perdido Key. Awesome beach, easy commute with little traffic. The disadvantages are you are far from downtown P-cola (who cares) and the commute to Whiting is not feasable (if you get Whiting).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The (NAS) Governor's Gate area is probably the best bet. You're near everything (supermarkets, restaurants, etc) for the most part (except beach stuff), you're in a nice midpoint if you get Whiting, and the commute to base isn't tough (20-25 minutes).

pdx

HSM Pilot
The (NAS) Governor's Gate area is probably the best bet. You're near everything (supermarkets, restaurants, etc) for the most part (except beach stuff), you're in a nice midpoint if you get Whiting, and the commute to base isn't tough (20-25 minutes).

Lots of students feels this way, but I was always too frustrated by the traffic on Davis

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of students feels this way, but I was always too frustrated by the traffic on Davis

Can be a bear, for sure. I actually lived in Crystal Lake Apartments during A-pool/API. Very close to the front gate. Far from the "action" of Pcola. In retrospect, I would have preferred to live closer to Davis/Downtown.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Apartment choices in Pensacola (relative to NASP)

Reporting to Pensacola at the end of October. I looked at http://www.livingchoices.com/market.aspx?mid=6080 and put in a couple of wanted parameters - at least one bedroom, a pool, a fitness center, and Washer/Dryer in unit - and it spit out several places that I've seen on AW.

I did a multi-destination route on Mapquest.com (a new feature?) for the below apartments (starting with the NAS Pensacola base address) to judge the distances - listed from closest to farthest away.
B. Stoddert Place (know nothing about it)
C. Village at Southern Oaks (know nothing about it)
D. Governor's Gate (comes highly recommended)
E. King's Mill (also recommended, but don't know as much about it)
--- [See the image below for the map and description]

It looks like King's Mill and Governor's Gate -the most popular ones on AW - are really close to each other (and convenient to Milton - if you know you're going there).

The one that interests me is Stoddert Place - it looks really close to the back gate, and might be a good bet for SNA's going to API. Personally, I don't understand why one would try to get a place in between Whiting and Pensacola with a most of the single guys going to Corpus.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Stoddert Place or other apartments near there? Or is it that the quality of the places is simply better at King's Mill and Governor's Gate?

Attachments

• pensacola apts.JPG
    pensacola apts.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 100

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Anyone that drives that route to NASP from I-10 needs a labotomy....

Obviously Mapquest has its flaws. I put the map there - not for the route - but to give other newbies a sense of where the places that I am talking about are.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Sweetwater is right next door to King's Mill and is pretty similar in quality to both King's Mill and Governor's Gate. I live here because they allow dogs.

GMan1976

Banned
I live in Governors Gate. It seems to be the nicest of the apt complexes around here. Coming from DC where there are lots of VERY nice apts, that's not saying much though... It's about 50%+ military, so the gouge, network, and social benefits are good too...

Firebert

Not a good Commando name
pilot
I lived in Kings Mill.....it was pretty nice and the commute to NAS p-cola and whiting was ok. Get a roommate and split the difference.

FO's can live at some place on hwy 90....8100 was the address but i dont know what it was called.....It was nice too. Easy to use either NAS p-cola gate.