• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good places to live

pdx

HSM Pilot
I lived in Kings Mill.....it was pretty nice and the commute to NAS p-cola and whiting was ok. Get a roommate and split the difference.

FO's can live at some place on hwy 90....8100 was the address but i dont know what it was called.....It was nice too. Easy to use either NAS p-cola gate.

Fairfield Lakes. Not a bad place. I lived there during API, then moved out to Milton for Primary and Helos.

the_suck

What about NFO's that know they'll be training at P'cola the whole time...any other apartments/locations you'd recommend?

I'd like to start off renting a place near the beach and look into buying a house after a couple months. Anybody else have any experience doing this?

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
I am looking into a couple of apartments.. does any know any of these.. Woodcliffe.. Carriage Hills.. Meadowrun.. and Crestview at Cordova. Are these nice apartments? Are they good for a Milton commute?? Someone let me know please. Thanks!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The (NAS) Governor's Gate area is probably the best bet. You're near everything (supermarkets, restaurants, etc) for the most part (except beach stuff), you're in a nice midpoint if you get Whiting, and the commute to base isn't tough (20-25 minutes).

Unfortunenately, it's not that quick anymore after Ivan. I go all back roads from Pace and it takes me 25-ish minutes. It's now more like 30-35 from Gov. Gate area. Definitely recommend Gov. Gate if it's anything like it used to be (and I hear it is, maybe even better).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunenately, it's not that quick anymore after Ivan. I go all back roads from Pace and it takes me 25-ish minutes. It's now more like 30-35 from Gov. Gate area. Definitely recommend Gov. Gate if it's anything like it used to be (and I hear it is, maybe even better).

Dang, always forget how Ivan affected Pcola. They ever fix the bridges?

Could always live in a van, down by the river...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Eaton Square is about a block from Gov's Gate, and while not quite as posh, is a bit cheaper. Best of all, I live there. G2 is a bit overcrowded for my taste. If you're planning on Whiting, the 9-mile/University area is the farthest I'd consider. It's better to suck up an extra 10 mins commute during API than during Primary/Helos. If you enjoy moving, I know a few guys who had a place right by NASP, then moved closer to WF for primary. (Unsure if they rated PCS on this, but would work nicely for DLA if it spanned two fiscal years.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you enjoy moving, I know a few guys who had a place right by NASP, then moved closer to WF for primary. (Unsure if they rated PCS on this, but would work nicely for DLA if it spanned two fiscal years.)

Nope, it's the same geographical area, so not love on the PCS.

I had a friend that lived in Eaton Square back in flight school. Seemed nice enough, just kind of small. I haven't seen G2, as the gate kept me and the other common folk out when I was househunting.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Nope, it's the same geographical area, so not love on the PCS.

I had a friend that lived in Eaton Square back in flight school. Seemed nice enough, just kind of small. I haven't seen G2, as the gate kept me and the other common folk out when I was househunting.

There was a situation a little while back where Whiting didn't have housing so when it did open up they were paying for studs to move from Pensacola to base housing...thats what happened with the wife and I.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There was a situation a little while back where Whiting didn't have housing so when it did open up they were paying for studs to move from Pensacola to base housing...thats what happened with the wife and I.

Yeah, but that's different, since you're still entitled to housing. It's not a PCS though. I know the same thing happened when I was a stud. My friend (at Eaton Square) finally got a house on base, and they paid for the move. I don't know the details of the legalities, but I don't think it's the "standard" in the fleet. Kind of nice they do it here. Then again, you don't really move 25 miles every 6 months in the fleet.

I was in your spot a few months ago. Did a lot of searching and asking. My roomate and I finally decided that API (and more importantly the waiting time) is the perfect opportunity to enjoy your stay in sunny FL.

We opted to get away from base and live RIGHT on the beach. It's been an incredibly good time.

http://www.portofinoisland.com/

Haven't looked back. Good luck.

-jai5w4

the_suck

If you don't mind me asking, what's your monthly rent at Portofino Island? What's the communte every morning/night like? Is it close to any bars and restaurants? Good beaches close by?

From the website, it looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Here's hoping another O-1 can afford it...

usnarnnr

pilot
I'm renting a house outside the back gate, about 10 min to the API building. It's near the Stoddert's Place Apt's, which seem to be kinda like the Governor's Gate outside the back gate. The biggest downside to the back gate area is that it is far away from Pensacola Beach, and the mall and most of the bars, etc. The upside though is that it's quieter, the beach (Perdido Key) is only 5 min away and it's a lot easier to focus on flight school.

One thing to keep in mind though is that not only do you not rate a PCS move to Whiting but also the military clause normally doesn't apply either because Whiting is less than 35 miles from the "Greater Pensacola Area"

If you don't mind me asking, what's your monthly rent at Portofino Island? What's the communte every morning/night like? Is it close to any bars and restaurants? Good beaches close by?

From the website, it looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Here's hoping another O-1 can afford it...

Chocks-

You can afford it. Rent is $2200 between my roomate and I. That's all utilities and rent, fully furnished with things I don't even need (potted plants, mirrors, paintings, china, etc) including a covered parking spot and an outdoor one. We've got our own pool (each tower does) and there's the main pools where one may order drinks served by pretty girls. Work out facility is great as is the restaurant and bar(s). The beach is literally 500 ft away and the bay not even that far.

The commute isn't bad at all. I heard a lot of guys saying we'd get sick of it after a week or two; we're on week 8 and we haven't had a reason to complain yet.

My roomate and I carpool in the mornings (e.g. He sleeps, I drive. I sleep, he drives). When we were in A-pool it was wake up at 0645, muster at base, come back, sleep till noon, go read by pool, eat, go to bars. NASP is 35 min away, big whoop.

The bar scene is just as nice as the condo. Flounders, The Dock, Bamboo Willies, The Islander, The Break, etc, etc, etc. Cab ride is 9 bucks home at the end of the night. :D

For the amount of time an SNA spends here (API) I can't picture living anywhere else.:)

There are a couple more ENS (at least one I know of) and an O-4 who live here. The O-4 told us he's looking to buy a couple places here to rent out to SNA's, maybe you could be his first tenant.

-jai5w4