• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Books? (marine corps)

stevo01

?????????
when purchasing from Amazon.com, If you select a few different books from different sellers, (the used books) do you have to pay shipping for each book, or are the sent out through the amazon warhouse ,so that the shipping is a little cheaper?

kinda confusing, but help out if you can. Thanks

E6286

OCC 191 Select
If you buy from different sellers you pay shipping for each item. The books never go through Amazon's warehouse, they are shipped from the seller. If you are buying multiple books you are sometimes better off buying from Amazon and getting the free shipping.

stevo01

E6286 said:
If you buy from different sellers you pay shipping for each item. The books never go through Amazon's warehouse, they are shipped from the seller. If you are buying multiple books you are sometimes better off buying from Amazon and getting the free shipping.

cool, yeah i just figured out the shipping through different sellers.
im prob. gonna do what you said and Buy directly from Amazon.
thanks..hope this sh*t works

stevo01

oliver norths "war stories" has a pic of my old first sgt. now sgt major. Booker. pretty F*ing motivating..he is the hardest Marine i have ever met.

he spoke at our MC ball when he got back..motivation as hell..

motiv8r

"Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester is the absolute king of all Marine books. It gives an amazing description of the bonds that develop between men in combat. At the same time it isn't a complete literary BJ like some of the books mentioned above--it also shows the bad side of the Corps, the US military as a whole, and even American culture. The passage where Manchester describes his decision to leave the hospital without authorization, while seriously wounded, to return to the front lines in Okinawa so that he could be with his platoon, is one of the most powerful things I've ever read.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone read John McCains book? It's on my "to read" list also.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
E5B said:
Anyone read John McCains book? It's on my "to read" list also.

The "Faith of our Fathers" book? I just picked it up. Only had time to read the first few pages but it seems good so far.

MNU-OCS

Read "American Soldier" by Tommy Franks. It isnt Marine Corps, but he has so many good lessons in that book about how to be a good officer its amazing. One leadership thing he stresses in the book is about Loyalty and the chain of command, he talks about how Loyalty not only runs up the chain of command, but DOWN it also. There are so many good lessons in that book, im not even done with it yet and i recommend it already.

wutzu

surprised no-one mentioned "Making the Corps" by Thomas Ricks. He followed a recruit platoon through Parris Island and wrote about their experiences, those of their DIs, and the history and future of the Corps.

My favorite part of the book is when he asks the platoon's series commander, a Captain, if the Corps is a microcosm of American society. the Captain responded "No, the Marine Corps is better than American society" OORAH!

tperng

wutzu said:
surprised no-one mentioned "Making the Corps" by Thomas Ricks. He followed a recruit platoon through Parris Island and wrote about their experiences, those of their DIs, and the history and future of the Corps.

My favorite part of the book is when he asks the platoon's series commander, a Captain, if the Corps is a microcosm of American society. the Captain responded "No, the Marine Corps is better than American society" OORAH!

I second the nomination for "Making the Corps" by Tom Ricks. Although the book is old enough that descriptions of bootcamp are outdated, it nevertheless is one of the most thought provoking books I have read about the Marine Corp and the military in general.

Another one of my personal favorites is the "Maneuver Warfare Handbook" by William S. Lind. It's one of the best books on modern warfare tactics I have ever read. I especially loved the lecture notes on Marine Corp tactics by Colonel Wyly that are found in the last section of the handbook. The only downside to this book is that it's a bit pricey.

I'm interested in seeing how much of maneuver warfare is taught at OCS and TBS. I guess I'll find out come October. :D

wutzu

Maneuver Warfare Handbook is AWESOME. Tperng, see if you can find Maneuver Warfare Anthology, which should be much cheaper, and has essays about every facet of Maneuver theory.

Anyone mention FMFM-1 Warfighting? short little book, but very good.

Tperng, on a side note, the word is Corps

phrogpilot73

"Flags of our Fathers"
"Faith of my Fathers"
"Making the Corps"
"Goodbye Darkness"
All excellent books, I have read them and have them on my bookcase. After perusing my bookcase, here I some I haven't seen mentioned, but worth a nod -

"Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose, read it in TBS and could not put it down. Good examples of the premise "You learn something from everybody, what to do, or what not to do."

"Papa Bravo Romeo" by Wynn Goldsmith, I read it so I could get a better understanding of what Dad did during Vietnam ('cause he wouldn't tell me). Great book.

"Centaur Flights" by Richard D. Spalding. As much as I hate to admit it, it's about Cobra guys... However, it's one of the few books about helos in Vietnam written by an officer. Great Book...

"Tales of a Helicopter Pilot" by Richard C. Kirkland. Need I say more?

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason, great book about helicopters in Vietnam. Don't read the last two paragraphs. Trust me...

"Blackhawk Down" by Mark Bowden. Great book, better than the movie. I told Mom (after she saw the movie) "Don't worry, I don't have a tail rotor"

"In the Company of Heros" by Michael Durant. The other viewpoint of "Blackhawk Down" and HOLY HELL, that guy's got balls!

"Five Years to Freedom" by James N. Rowe. Recommended by the staff of SERE school, and a great book.

And finally,

"In the Company of Soldiers" by Rick Atkinson. Haven't read it, but Dad left it on my bookcase after visiting me this last time. That's enough of a recommendation for me.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
- Twenty-five Yards of War: The Extraordinary Courage of Ordinary Men in World War II
- Red Storm Rising
- Men in Black
- The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
- The Pentagon's New Map
- The Imperial Presidency

Doesn't really address the original poster's RFI, but hey, I figured what the hell.