• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Books? (marine corps)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
scan.jpg

Oliver North and James Webb boxed at the Naval Academy ... North won, Webb lost .... and they still don't like each other very much :icon_wink .... but knowing that .... Have none of you Marines heard about .... James Webb ... "Fields of Fire" ... "Acts and Shadows" .... "Lost Soldiers" .... USNA grad, real-deal Grunt, and former SecNav ... a "real" No-sh!t guy , i.e., he's "been there" .... :)

7455.jpg
fields2cr.gif

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
DocT said:
Then there's the old standbyes of "Fields of Fire" by James Webb, "A Rumor of War" by Phillip Caputo, "Generation Kill", "One of Us", "Jarhead"

It may have been buried, but I had him there. An excellent book and a must read.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sorry Doc ... you're right ... guess I just went crazy. It ain't the first time ... :) Semper Fi .....

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I had a military instructor at the boat school who almost got relieved because he invited James Webb and Dick Marcinko to speak there. Webb's stance on women in the military doesn't make him popular at the politically correct institution, and Marcinko... Well, the usna not liking him is kind of a given.

I've read nearly all James Webb's books, and I've even read one or two of Marcinko's. Great reading, for recreation or otherwise, and both of those men can DRINK.

James Webb was the guest of honor at our TBS mess night, and he stayed there drinking until like 3am. And since no one can leave before the guest of honor... He drank the Col. under the table, too. I also made the mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time out in annapolis one night when Dick Marcinko was in town. I don't really remember much after, "Hey Jarhead!! Get the fvck over here!" I hear it was a blast though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good story .... Webb was my kind of SecNav .... Lehman was O.K., too, but I liked Webb the best. He was probably the last of the breed (no pun intended, Marines :)) when it comes to appointed bureaucrats. That bureaucratic noose around his neck is one of the reasons he left the position "early".

phrogpilot73

A4sForever said:
Oliver North and James Webb boxed at the Naval Academy ... North won, Webb lost .... and they still don't like each other very much :icon_wink .... but knowing that .... Have none of you Marines heard about .... James Webb ... "Fields of Fire" ... "Acts and Shadows" .... "Lost Soldiers" .... USNA grad, real-deal Grunt, and former SecNav ... a "real" No-sh!t guy , i.e., he's "been there" .... :)
Actually, some people claim that the "fictional" boxing match that occurs in "A Sense of Honor" by James Webb is actually him writing about fighting Ollie. Transported Ollie up by Al Qaim during Operation Matador, and got a chance to talk to him as we were both leaving the chow hall. What kind of guy wears his ring knocker in Iraq? OLLIE!

stevo01

finished "a table in the presence".. it was alright, but it took a good while to get started. I guess thats war!

I also do not agree 100% that all the things happen because of God, and not because of chance or physics

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Just read "The Walking Dead" by Craig Roberts and Charles Sasser. They both wrote "One Shot - One Kill". Its action packed from cover to cover. Tells a great story about the life of a Marine grunt in Vietnam. Easy, quick read. Great book to read on a trip or over a few nights in bed or something. Has some good trash. Check it out.

You cant beat "Fields Of Fire" as stated above. Must read.

Aeolos

Cleared Hot, A book about a Marine Corps Helo pilot in Vietnam by COL. Bob Stoffey, Not a book on leadership exactly but a good Marine/Aviator book. I think it is on the reading list as well, but I should double check.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
stevo01 said:
Wasn't he the Lt. of the recon platoon in Generation Kill?

when does it come out???

Its the same name ... and he was Recon in Gen Kill ... must be. Thats why he has " Nathaniel " instead of Nate. Sounds more author-like, since he is making a career switch it seems. Should be motivating trash. He was a leader who had the respect of his Marines. Ill be looking forward to reading it.