• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to MEPS

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Ugh, so yeah, MEPS wasn't "fun" but it was a very interesting experience. There was some problem with my paperwork so they sent me home around noon. I don't mind too much because it's all part of the process, but I will admit I am anxious and because of the fast impending deadlines.

So I tried to go to bed at 8pm, tossed and turned until 2amish, slept 30 minutes and got up. I left around 3am to make it by 4:45am (north Orange County to San Diego). I was told to report by 5am. I got there at 4:30am and the whole building was dark. No problem, it's still early I thought. So I went to the front door and saw the Hours of Operation: open at 5:45am. Poor jorgelito just stood there like a tool and was like, "what?". Both my recruiter and the web site said 5am. Ah well... at least I was first in line.

It was neat to watch the various people trickle in. Some came with their recruiters; mostly Petty Officers in white and then the big ol' MEPS bus came and a whole mess of kids got off. There was over a hundred people and only 2 officer applicants. My first reaction was shock at how young these kids were. 17-19 or so about to be shipped off to Great Lakes. How these raw recruits will (mostly) be shaped and molded into sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen.

Then some lady came out and said everyone shipping out go to the front of the line. Ack, there goes my hard earned first place in line.

Anyways, it's not too bad. There's a tv, game room, pool table, and cafeteria. Plus it's interesting chatting with the others. But by 9am I was pretty gassed from sleep deprivation and a long drive. I could barely keep my eyes open. The Liaison came and got me and informed me there was something wrong with my forms. He was very polite and thorough in explaining things. He seemed genuinely concerned and apologetic that I would not be able to be seen that day. He and his staff tried to find a doctor that would but they were swamped but that they would do their best to expedite things and get me an appointment ASAP. Then he called my recruiter to explain things.

Even though it stinks to have gone all the way down there for no results and progress, I feel like I learned alot and it made me feel more determined that this was something I really wanted to do and that I would not stop until I got rejected and ran out of time. Very interesting experiences at MEPS.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Kind of the same situation with me. They were gonna send me home due to paperwork, however there was a chief there who fought for me and got me looked at.

ClutchS306

My trip to MEPS as an Officer candidate coming from civilian world, so others will have info on what goes on. (Short Version)
Got Pro Rec'd then went to MEPS at Fort Lee, Petersburg, VA.

Arrived at Fort Lee base at 5:45 am. Parked car at MEPS station. Got in line infront of MEPS building, waited until 6:00 am. Lady came out and sorted everyone into Full physical on one side and ship outs on the other. Went inside and put stuff into cubbies, and went and talked to liason for the Navy. Showed ID and SOS card and recieved a name tag and medical papers. Told to go wait in lobby. Control Desk lady added people one at a time waiting in lobby into the MEPS computer system which includes photo and both index finger scans. Then recieved folder with papers inside and told to go to Physical through double doors. Went through door and waited in line and did what I was told.
Steps of the MEPS physical - In groups of 6-8 people at a time.
1. Vision - Got Blood Pressure taken. Then flash cards for color blindeness, Then vision check look in machine state letters in certain row. Then depth perception test - which circle is closer, then eye correctable test. Line up outside and wait.
2. Hearing - Sit in room with other people with headphones on clicking a switch when you hear a tone. Left ear then right ear for me. Advice if you hear something it's yours not your neighbors. Line up outside and wait.
3. Height and Weight - Group in room, strip down to boxers. Get on scale get weight. Stand under stick get height, then duck walk and other exercises by the doctor, then get dressed. Line up outside and wait.
4. Presentation - You listen to a speech and presentation. Fill out all forms they need filled out. Aids/Alcohol/Harmless and others. Take breathalizer test and sign documents. Line up outside and wait.
5. Physical - Answer questions from doctor regarding your info. Check eyes/ears. Take off clothes check testicles and butt. Line up outside and wait.
6. Blood - Go in booth. They tie rubberband on upper arm, clean the vein site. Hold a small ball in hand. Pump ball up and hold, stick needle in. Draw blood. Bandaid on. Line up outside and wait.
7. Urine - Go in bathroom. Get cup put your ID sticker on cup. Stand 1 foot away from urinal and fill cup 3/4 full. Put cup down. Finish pissing. Turn in piss. Line up outside and wait.
8. (Last Step) Meet with Doctor - Review all info. in folder. Get told Physically Qualified or not or waiver I assume not sure was PQ'd.
If you are an officer candidate at this point you meet with your liason and leave.
My trip went from 6:00 am - 10:45 am.
For more in depth version pm.

beaverslayer

pilot
You were done by 10:45? That's impressive... when I went through we all showed up at 5:00, and nobody was done before 2pm.