• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going from Helicopters to Jets....

FutureAW

Has anyone ever heard of an Army WO switching to Navy/Marine Corps or Air Force to fly jets?
Just curious if it has ever happened before.

flyerstud4

there are some old threads on that some where on this site. I'm sure its the same in the Army as it is in the Marines/Navy or even the AF, there are drug deals to be had, its just all about timing. I have heard of some pretty crazy transitions out there. My favorite is the one-eyed NFO, shows you how much they do...:icon_tong good luck

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It can be done, however, you'll go through the Navy flight training from the beginning (minus API, I think). There's no guarantee that you'll get jets at the end of Primary, either, though historically Army pilots tend to smoke through Primary even though they've never flown fixed-wing.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There was an API instructor when I was at NASP that was an army Warrant who went back thru and flew E-6s.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Yeah, met an airline pilot who flew Cobras in the Army (back when they had them) and did an service transfer and ended up flying hornets for the Navy

mwardakpsi

Get money, get paid!!!
None
There was an API instructor when I was at NASP that was an army Warrant who went back thru and flew E-6s.

That guy came through my course last class. He flew blackhawks throughout college. Once he switched to the navy side, he still went through OCS and flight school just like any student, though I can only imagine how much faster it was for him.

bobbybrock

None
As a former Army helo guy I've seen it happen. It just seems more likely to happen in the Air Guard or AF reserves. When I was on active duty my old roommate did it. He went from H-60 to C-12 then into the Army Guard. He then went to the Navy reserves flying what ever their version of the 737 is.

Huggy Bear

pilot
When I was in VFA-87 two of JO peers were ex army helo drivers. I believe one was a WO and the other a JO before switching. So, yes, it is definitely possible.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Here's a link to a story of two former Army helo pilots (and West Point grads) who made the Army-Navy football game flyover in 2006 flying Navy Hornets.

Clicky

highside7r

None
Check over at baseops.net for the AF/ANG route, there are a few that visit the site. I know of a handful switching to AF Reserve units. I tried when I found out about an A-10 unit hiring with UPT slots. With the Navy Flying WO program, I hoped to be the first to switch back to the Navy, but not going to happen. Best route for Army WO's, and I tell all my coworkers...go USCG!

FutureAW

awesome info fellas, i appreciate it.
i was just curious, maybe in the far future it might be a serious consideration. i don't know if i would want to do Navy OCS though, I've already done USMC boot camp and Army WOCS. I'm done with that crap. I just want to fly now.
the Prowler would be pretty sweet though.......