• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill Eligibility

torpedo0126

sorry then...i guess im still confused how there are different service obligations. didn't mean to put bad gouge out there.

or rather the eligibility requirements

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
sorry then...i guess im still confused how there are different service obligations. didn't mean to put bad gouge out there.

or rather the eligibility requirements

The key wording difference here is "active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary." As was mentioned earlier everyone's MSR is 8 years, however depending on your commissioning source it can be different combinations of AD, SELRES, and IRR.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was a year ago :eek: I'm in my 30's with 3 small kids, I can't be expected to remember that far back.

I am over 50, been married 25 years and been putting up with kids for over 20 years. You can't expect me to keep track of the year you post things.

torpedo0126

The key wording difference here is "active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary." As was mentioned earlier everyone's MSR is 8 years, however depending on your commissioning source it can be different combinations of AD, SELRES, and IRR.

so then...when I went through NROTC, the active duty service requirement was 4...now it seems to be five. Which will apply to me? I 'assume' (I was told to drop that word once your in aviation) that the old requirement would apply to me then?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
so then...when I went through NROTC, the active duty service requirement was 4...now it seems to be five. Which will apply to me? I 'assume' (I was told to drop that word once your in aviation) that the old requirement would apply to me then?

It probably depends on what your contract says.

Edit: I just understood what you were trying to say. I would also 'assume' 4. But remember there is no real consequence for me of 'assuming.' Other than AW ridicule and scorn.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Just to address that wrt NROTC and USNA guys. If you were prior, were enrolled in the MGIB program, went to either ROTC or USNA, you are ineligible to use any benefits from that, even now with the new post 9-11 GI Bill.

I tried to use my MGIB benefits and recieved a nice thanks for playing letter from the VA. Now I'm fighting to even get back the $1200 I paid into it since I can't use the benefits of it. *Edit* Thanks thisguy, that's a better answer than I'd gotten from the VA.

I don't understand. So we get no GI Bill at all period the end? A non prior enlisted commissioned officer does their time and gets it, but prior enlisted commissioned don't? I guess I'll try to get my money back also then.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't understand. So we get no GI Bill at all period the end? A non prior enlisted commissioned officer does their time and gets it, but prior enlisted commissioned don't? I guess I'll try to get my money back also then.

You get the Post 9/11 GI Bill like everyone else. Or you can also to take the MGIB, but not both. However, in most circumstances I believe the new one is better.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Alright now I'm worried. After an extensive search of several sites I couldn't find a conclusive answer to whether or not STA-21 guys get to use the MGIB or Post 9/11 GI Bill after they get out. Anyone seen an instruction on this?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

What I was referring to was the MGIB. Everyone qualifies for the post 9-11 GI Bill. If you paid into the MGIB but then subsequently went to the Academy or ROTC, then you don't qualify to receive those benefits anymore.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm trying to get my money back but no one seems to know wtf I'm talking about. They can even pull up my file that shows I put my money into it, but they have no clue how to give it back.

P3 F0

None
Holy crap, I'm getting worried and pissed off that this is so complicated. I'm a College Program (all 4 years), non-prior, who paid in around 1994, and was USNR (AD) for maybe six years before going USN. Haven't touched any benefits yet, and I've been in for over 14. Am I qualified, and if so, MGIB/post-9/11/my choice?

The way I read it, I'm eligible. If I choose to stick with MGIB, am I still eligible for the buy-up, or has that deal gone away? And even with the buy-up, is the new GI Bill still better?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Holy crap, I'm getting worried and pissed off that this is so complicated. I'm a College Program (all 4 years), non-prior, who paid in around 1994, and was USNR (AD) for maybe six years before going USN. Haven't touched any benefits yet, and I've been in for over 14. Am I qualified, and if so, MGIB/post-9/11/my choice?

The way I read it, I'm eligible. If I choose to stick with MGIB, am I still eligible for the buy-up, or has that deal gone away? And even with the buy-up, is the new GI Bill still better?

I'm not knowledgeable about the college program, did you pay for your tuition on your own dime? The way I read the reg, if you were USNA or ROTC and had tuition paid for, you don't qualify for the MGIB. At least, that was the reason I was given for not being able to take my benefits.

CaliStyle

If you are prior-enlisted, do you have to serve for 3 yrs in order to use it? I contributed to MGIB, served 3 years as Enlisted, then went to USNA. If I get out after my MSR, am I eligible to use the old MGIB? I am also currently contributing to the $600 kicker right now. Very confused on this matter.