• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill Eligibility

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GI Bill eligibility for NROTC guys was just mentioned in another thread. I am only vaguely aware of the restrictions or eligibility requirements for GI Bill benefits for NROTC and USNA sourced officers. So, will the guys with personal experience please offer the executive summery. Are restrictions limited to educational benefits only? What is this cap referred to? Same restrictions for USNA and NROTC? Have the rules changed with the gold plated New GI Bill?

torpedo0126

NROTC and USNA have to meet their commitment obligations (so eight years, regardless of active or reserve) plus the GI bill eligibility requirements to receive the funds.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC and USNA have to meet their commitment obligations (so eight years, regardless of active or reserve) plus the GI bill eligibility requirements to receive the funds.

Where are you getting eight years? MSR for USNA is five years.

It'd be eight years to get 100% GI Bill if you do your five, plus the extra 36 months, which is what the Bill stipulates.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
From www.gibill2008.org:

f) Officers (ROTC/Academy Grads)

Officers who graduated from service academies or received ROTC scholarships do qualify for Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). However, time spent satisfying the ROTC/Service Academy active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits.

Beyond that single restriction, I am not aware of any other differences. The VA will start taking applications for the new benefits starting tomorrow, May 1st. The benefits will only be for education starting on or after August 1st.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
To expound a bit more on your questions, wink. The new GI Bill (aka post 9/11 GI Bill) pays out only for education from an IHT (institute of higher learning) meaning, in general, no vocational training. Additionally, it pays at a rate equal to the highest state undergrad tuition in the state of the school you are attending. Benefits are paid directly to the school (so no out of pocket for individual if costs are under pay cap). In addition to tuition it pays up to $1000 per year for fees and E-5 BAH if enrolled as full or 3/4 time student. If qualified for 100% an individual receives 36 months of benefits.

If you paid into the Montgomery GI Bill you can get an additional 12 months of benefits, but I am a bit fuzzy on how much/how it works/the kicker etc.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you paid into the Montgomery GI Bill you can get an additional 12 months of benefits, but I am a bit fuzzy on how much/how it works/the kicker etc.

Here's the answer on that:

11. Question: Will my $1,200 enrollment fee be refunded?

Answer: Yes, MGIB (chapter 30) contributions (excluding $600 buy-up) will be refunded at a proportional amount [based on the number of months remaining under MGIB at time of Post 9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33) election] of the basic $1200 contribution. This refund will be included in the last monthly stipend payment when chapter 33 entitlement exhausts. Individuals who do not exhaust entitlement under chapter 33 will not receive a refund of contributions paid under MGIB.

Source: http://www.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/20-top-faqs-for-new-gi-bill#10

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Just to address that wrt NROTC and USNA guys. If you were prior, were enrolled in the MGIB program, went to either ROTC or USNA, you are ineligible to use any benefits from that, even now with the new post 9-11 GI Bill.

I tried to use my MGIB benefits and recieved a nice thanks for playing letter from the VA. Now I'm fighting to even get back the $1200 I paid into it since I can't use the benefits of it. *Edit* Thanks thisguy, that's a better answer than I'd gotten from the VA.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, chapter 33 is the educational benefit. You need 3 years to fully qualify and the MSR for ROTC or USNA does not count. Any other non educational benefits handled differently for former Mids? The cap that was mentioned in the other thread was in regards to one of the previous GI Bill educational benefits only?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
OK, chapter 33 is the educational benefit. You need 3 years to fully qualify and the MSR for ROTC or USNA does not count. Any other non educational benefits handled differently for former Mids? The cap that was mentioned in the other thread was in regards to one of the previous GI Bill educational benefits only?

I'm not sure what you mean by a cap. Well, I do understand what a cap is, just not how it's being applied in this situation.

torpedo0126

Where are you getting eight years? MSR for USNA is five years.

Hmmm thats interesting, I should have referenced the "new" NROTC website. when I went through, we were told (and signed away) were were obligated to EIGHT years of service--FOUR which must be active. The other four years would be in the reserve (don't remember the name--where your name is on a piece of paper).

When I received a brief on the new GI bill, we were told we would be eligible for the benefits after that initial 8yrs (service) + 3yrs (GI).

torpedo0126

Yeah, Uncle F is right, bum gouge here.

I don't think this is bum gouge...here is the link to the OLD NROTC website. The new one with the 5 years service was just established now...

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/militaryservreq.cfm

As you can see, the basic service requirement indicated here and in the old ROD (im trying to find an old copy right now) was eight years, four of which must active. So a SWO who goes off active after four is till obligated to 4 more years in the reserve.

However, on the new NROTC website it says only a minimum of 5 years active service.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EVERYONES initial military obligation is some combination of Reserve (IRR or SELRES) and active to total 8 years. Your minimum service obligation on commission is different. ICO NROTC, minimum total service would be 5 years active and 3 in the IRR.