• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Married While at TBS

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
My fiance and I are looking at the possibility of getting married in Dec while I have some time off from Alpha Co. Im gonna get as much info as I can though avenues here, but Im looking for some inside info and advice from other Marines who might know more than I can find out.

How hard is it to get the Corps to move her and my stuff from WA to VA a month into TBS? Is this even a possibility?

She has a job lined up and I know that there is a list of places to live I can get from the Mike Co office. Any info could help. Thanks

s/f

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I know a couple guys who did that same thing last year...just be careful and explain EVERYTHING to her; your schedule, what you need to do each night, etc...

For the move...I don't think you will have a problem with it just talk to TMO when you get down there, as early as possible. You might want to get the number and call them ahead of time even.

Best of luck...

BugDriver

pilot
Quick Advice

For the sake of talking to TMO about this, be aware that the government isn't responsible for moving *her* stuff unless you're married when you RECEIVE your PCS orders. Now, if you're just delaying moving "your" stuff until after you're married, well then TMO shouldn't have any problem with the feminine contents of your household goods...

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Helmet Fire said:
For the sake of talking to TMO about this, be aware that the government isn't responsible for moving *her* stuff unless you're married when you RECEIVE your PCS orders. Now, if you're just delaying moving "your" stuff until after you're married, well then TMO shouldn't have any problem with the feminine contents of your household goods...

I dont plan on them being too helpful until the marriage is all official. But thank you for the heads up.

As for her knowing everything, I try to be more than honest about everything. I feel like sometimes Im trying to talk her out of it just because I dont want her to be caught off guard. Ive told her that I might spend a week in the field, come back, get cleaned up at the BOQ then head out with Marines for some drinks. She is a strong girl, knows the ins and outs of life in the Corps, and is not one of the clingy types. She knows that she will have to spend lots of time without me. On the other hand, she knows that there will be wifes around going through the same stuff. She will have no problem bonding with them and getting by without any issues. She has some great work opportunities here so its not like she will be sitting at home waiting.

Anybody know about apts around the Quantico area willing to do 6 month leases? Its not a problem if its up to 20 miles or so away. I plan on being the brown bagger who will spend lots of nights in the BOQ. I aint gonna leaving my apt at 0 dark thirty, drive around the TBS lot for 30 mikes to find a spot, then be dragging ass by the time everyone else is just waking up.

Last, thanks for the advice and best wishes!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
whats wrong with signing a one year lease and pulling the 'oops, pcs orders' card? I've done that more than once due to the one year rate being much cheaper. perfectly legal too.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
whats wrong with signing a one year lease and pulling the 'oops, pcs orders' card? I've done that more than once due to the one year rate being much cheaper. perfectly legal too.

Hell, I didnt know that was an option. Sounds damn good. You dont think the renters around here would know that I have that option and not rent to me? If thats the case then I wont ever worry about the length of the lease. Thanks brother.

s/f

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
devil_dog said:
Anybody know about apts around the Quantico area willing to do 6 month leases? Its not a problem if its up to 20 miles or so away. I plan on being the brown bagger who will spend lots of nights in the BOQ. I aint gonna leaving my apt at 0 dark thirty, drive around the TBS lot for 30 mikes to find a spot, then be dragging ass by the time everyone else is just waking up.

There are plenty of good places right round the back gate so don't purposely try to get something far out. I thought I would be doing the same thing but as it turns out there are more than a few nights that you will want nothing more than to just get away from base for a while...I know a lot of single guys who would go out into town and get a hotel to get away from the crap for a while...

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Yep... "oops I got PCS orders!" just like squeeze said.

When looking at leases ensure you have a military clause in your lease which states you can break your lease in the event of PCS orders. There are many threads on this website that discuss where to live in the Quantico area. After all, you honestly don't know for sure that your stay in Quantico will be six to seven months. Hopefully you will be down range as quickly as possible but it's also possible that you get injured or retained in mike company for something. Who knows.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Taxman2A said:
Yep... "oops I got PCS orders!" just like squeeze said.

When looking at leases ensure you have a military clause in your lease which states you can break your lease in the event of PCS orders. There are many threads on this website that discuss where to live in the Quantico area. After all, you honestly don't know for sure that your stay in Quantico will be six to seven months. Hopefully you will be down range as quickly as possible but it's also possible that you get injured or retained in mike company for something. Who knows.
Point well taken. There are a few Marines here who have been here for a year ... and not even started TBS yet. Planning for best case, but thanks for keeping me prepared for worst.

Its nice to know there are lots of housing options close ... obviously that would be much better.

Keep the info coming gents (and ladies, if you have something to say)...

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
There's no "oops" about it. There are laws on the books requiring landlords to allow you to break your lease for PCS orders. Don't worry about it when you rent. You may want to ask if they have a special military housing program, since some apartments will give you a special military deal with move-in fees and security deposits waived, along with a transfer/PCS clause. For instance, equity apartments, which has a number of complexes in northern VA, has fairly military-friendly policies:
http://www.equityapartments.com/content/militaryhousing.asp

yeah

Snowden Village Appartments where I live has 6 month leases in Fredericksburg VA .. and its really not that much of a price difference... 15 minute drive to Quantico in the morning... They also do month to month, if you need to extend or whatever. Plus the standard 5% military discount.

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&l...latlng=38303056,-77460833,8056409942571482824

I mean yeah you can do the PCS move break-lease thing too..
There are other Marines in the complex.. at least one LT from TBS who lives nextdoor with his wife.

s/f

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Ive told her that I might spend a week in the field, come back, get cleaned up at the BOQ then head out with Marines for some drinks.

After a week in the field, I'm sure the first thing you're going to want to do is see your wife. All the married guys in my platoon got the hell out of dodge when they cut us loose after a week in the field. And if they did come out with us that night for dinner, they brought their wives.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
PSno23 said:
After a week in the field, I'm sure the first thing you're going to want to do is see your wife. All the married guys in my platoon got the hell out of dodge when they cut us loose after a week in the field. And if they did come out with us that night for dinner, they brought their wives.

You're damn right Im gonna want to see her. I just tell her these things in case the situation comes up. That woman stole my heart almost as much as the Marine Corps. :icon_tong Much more so ... couldnt be with anyone else.

riley

Why the hell do you plan on being the brown bagger that spends a lot of nights at the BOQ? For the first time ever, all the single dudes were jealous of the married Marines - we got to leave the big suck every night and go home to a woman. It was the best thing ever to come in early on a random Tuesday and tell your rooomates you got laid 30 minutes before.

I know its already been said, but I have to reiterate, the last thing you'll want to do is hang around other Marines after a FEX. If you have a woman to go home to, do it - they smell nice and are soft to the touch. You'll have plenty of weekends to hang out with the guys.

Our Company Co. was good about sending e-mails to all of the wives, letting them know what training was coming up, which nights we'd be late or required to stay over, future mixers, etc. Within the first few weeks of TBS, they will have a spouse event where you and your spouse go to the green carpet area and they have information on all the base clubs, officer's wives clubs, benefits, Tri-Care, etc. Gen. Hagee's wife even showed up to ours and gave a little speech. I was impressed - no other service would go to such lengths to involve the wives. Make sure your fiancee signs up for the LINKS program - it is a one day class put on for the wives so they learn all about the Corps - history, traditions, acronyms, benefits, how to get benefits, etc.

phrogpilot73

Helmet Fire said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you've already at your permanent duty station (executed your PCS orders) and you get married AFTER the fact, the government WILL move you dependent. Hence the reason my buddy (who's been in the squadron for 4 years) just submitted a claim to TMO for a DITY move (moving all her stuff down here). It goes along the lines of your initial TMO move when you get comissioned, and your last TMO move. How many people know that when you get out, regardless of retiring or resigning your comission, TMO will move you wherever you want to go...

Also - don't bother with 6 month leases... They're generally more expensive than 1 year leases, and you could end up in Quantico for longer than 6 months. Sign a 1 year lease - you get PCS orders, you get out of it. I never signed less than a 1 year lease (and for the record, I left TBS with PCS orders after 9 months).

This is for the bachelors - when I went through TBS, they were renovating the barracks. What did that mean? EVERYONE lived out in town (unless they wanted to live in the barracks) :smpurple_