• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Married While at TBS

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
phrogpilot73 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you've already at your permanent duty station (executed your PCS orders) and you get married AFTER the fact, the government WILL move you dependent. Hence the reason my buddy (who's been in the squadron for 4 years) just submitted a claim to TMO for a DITY move (moving all her stuff down here). It goes along the lines of your initial TMO move when you get comissioned, and your last TMO move. How many people know that when you get out, regardless of retiring or resigning your comission, TMO will move you wherever you want to go...

From my understanding PCS orders coming onto active duty are slightly different, thus the reason for executing the move after already there so that he could get her stuff there. At least that is what we were told when I was there, but they might work something out...Best bet as always is to contact them direct and find out the real scoop.

phrogpilot73 said:
This is for the bachelors - when I went through TBS, they were renovating the barracks. What did that mean? EVERYONE lived out in town (unless they wanted to live in the barracks) :smpurple_

Then you were lucky. They don't do that anymore and I find it hard to believe that the barracks are renovated at all...something like 50% of them have serious mold problems...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Thank you gents. Im planning on talking to the TMO office and also ask some more questions in the Mike Co office or something. Im hoping (obviously) that I can get her ass here.

phrogpilot, thanks for the lease info. Knowing that I could get out of a lease if they have the PCS orders clause and that I can save money by signing a longer lease, Im not even going to worry about this. Lots of great places out there to live in the area.

riley mcconnell, I havnt done TBS yet so all i hear are stories from the jealous single guys who say I will have no time to see her. As Im gathering, thats not the entire case. Im gonna be with her as much as I can. Also thanks for the info about all the stuff they do to include the wives, she is very excited to get involved in the Marine community. She is already talking on Marine Wife message boards.

Crowbar

None
Riley brings up a good point. When the 'spouse information roster' goes around, put down YOUR email instead of hers. For our company, the wives always found out more than we did about what was going on. I would read the 'spouse info' email every week, print it out and let my buddies read it, and send it to my wife. That way we ALL knew the details on what was going on.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Our Company Co. was good about sending e-mails to all of the wives, letting them know what training was coming up, which nights we'd be late or required to stay over, future mixers, etc. Within the first few weeks of TBS, they will have a spouse event where you and your spouse go to the green carpet area and they have information on all the base clubs, officer's wives clubs, benefits, Tri-Care, etc. Gen. Hagee's wife even showed up to ours and gave a little speech. I was impressed - no other service would go to such lengths to involve the wives. Make sure your fiancee signs up for the LINKS program - it is a one day class put on for the wives so they learn all about the Corps - history, traditions, acronyms, benefits, how to get benefits, etc.

Hell, I think the wives knew more than we did with regards to the schedule. My married buddies would come in telling us about stuff they heard from their wives that hadn't passed to us yet. I'm sure the wives even got the daily word before we did!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
whats wrong with signing a one year lease and pulling the 'oops, pcs orders' card? I've done that more than once due to the one year rate being much cheaper. perfectly legal too.
My opinion is that's an abuse of the military clause in the lease. So long as you or someone else who signs a year lease (knowing full well it won't be a year) is upfront with the landlord/management and they agree its not a problem, I have no qualms with that. However, I think it is entirely unethical to sign a year lease (when other short term leases are available) with the intent of using the military clause at some point in the middle to get out of it. Legal? Yes. But not right.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Are landlords required to put a military clause in the lease? I ran into a few people who wouldn't rent to me because I was military and they didn't want me breaking the lease with orders. I know once you've signed the contract, they have to let you out, but are they obligated to rent to military and to put the clause in the contract if you ask for it. Also, is there a standard clause that is set by any of these laws, or is this purely something you negotiate with your landlord. I'd be interested if any of you know where I can go to actually read these laws.

Wasn't this recently made a federal law? The Soldier and Sailor's Relief Act? Wouldn't this override any local laws, or does the federal law leave room for the states to decide?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyingBeagle said:
Wasn't this recently made a federal law? The Soldier and Sailor's Relief Act? Wouldn't this override any local laws, or does the federal law leave room for the states to decide?
After I made my post, I did some searching. This is what I found.

http://www.nsa-norva.navy.mil/housing/communit/fh-lease.htm

This is for Virginia and it talks about the Service Members Civil Relief Act

My advice: talk to a real estate attorney.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
My opinion is that's an abuse of the military clause in the lease. So long as you or someone else who signs a year lease (knowing full well it won't be a year) is upfront with the landlord/management and they agree its not a problem, I have no qualms with that. However, I think it is entirely unethical to sign a year lease (when other short term leases are available) with the intent of using the military clause at some point in the middle to get out of it. Legal? Yes. But not right.
Steve, not as unethical as local property owners & rental companies conveniently charging the exact amount for their houses or apartments as that of local BAH prices instead of what the property is really worth. i respectfully disagree with you. i used the military clause several times but i would mention the fact to the landlord that i might not be around the full year. really the only catch to the military clause is some contracts will state if you don't give proper notice they will charge a fee, usually one months rent.

my 2¢

S/F

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
jarhead said:
Steve, about as unethical as local property owners & rental companies conveniently charging the exact amount for their houses or apartments as that of local BAH prices instead of what the property is really worth. i respectfully disagree with you. i used the military clause several times but i would mention the fact to the landlord that i might not be around the full year. really the only catch to the military clause is some contracts will state if you don't give proper notice they will charge a fee, usually one months rent.

my 2¢

S/F

I have known a few places to ask what my BAH is before quoting a rental price...only after I refused did they finally give me a price, high of course and came down a little as a "special deal"...my @ss

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
I apreciate all of this info so much, these are things that I would be in the dark to unless you guys passed the word. I will try to be as ethical as possible, but I do know that the rental people are out to make money, no matter who they exploit. There are those out there who are honest and want to help military families out, but that seems like the exception, not the norm.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
Steve, not as unethical as local property owners & rental companies conveniently charging the exact amount for their houses or apartments as that of local BAH prices instead of what the property is really worth. i respectfully disagree with you. i used the military clause several times but i would mention the fact to the landlord that i might not be around the full year. really the only catch to the military clause is some contracts will state if you don't give proper notice they will charge a fee, usually one months rent.

my 2¢

S/F
So are we splitting hairs here on who is going to be the LEAST unethical? Come on now. Hey, I hear what you're saying and can understand the sentiment. However....and this is a big however, the place you rent (or buy) is only worth what you will pay for it. If you are willing to plop down the cash, then you just validated their price. That is certainly not unethical. It may see unfair, but right or wrong, it is not unethical.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Getting back on topic ... a good place to live while at Quantico is The Point at Stafford apts. Had a place there with my girl (although I think I stayed in the BOQ 75% of the time). Everyone there was great and more than willing to work with me as far as lease times, etc. Highly recommend them.

Peace,

-Spin

phrogpilot73

Whenever I signed a 1 year lease, I always told the property manager that my orders were for X amount of time. However, it is the military and things are subject to change, so I'd like the flexibility of a 1 year lease with a military clause. They never had a problem with it.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
We have decided that Dec it is, 30th is set for now. Thanks for all the advice. I feel bad for all the Lieutenants who dont have you gals and guys to get all this trash from. Thank you all. If you have any more advice or sugestions, send away.

s/f