• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into SELRES

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
So what is it that you want, Master? Do you want to fly or do you want to promote and to retire at the highest possible rank?

MasterBates

Based off how the last week has gone, neither.

As it stands right now, I'm leaning heavily towards getting 100% out. No SELRES, no IRR, nothing.

If I can fly as a civilian, great. If not, I have other skills that can pay well.

phrogpilot73

As it stands right now, I'm leaning heavily towards getting 100% out. No SELRES, no IRR, nothing.
I would caution against this, only because if after a couple of months of being Joe Civilian you want to be in the SELRES - getting your comission back can be a GIANT ass pain. I did exactly that, no SMCR, no IRR - and then 4 months after I got out I decided that SMCR might be a good fit. It took another 8 months to get my comission back.

I would recommend you at least drop to the IRR, and if 4 months later you want to be SELRES - it's a simple matter of rushing a squadron. Or, if 4 months later you want to be 100% done - you can. Going the other way is a HUGE PITA.

MasterBates

After talking to Phrogger on the phone, I'll probably do the IRR to hedge my bets if I want to come back, but for now, I kind of want to do this when I leave.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll just say that, when Mrs Fester and I were both abruptly laid off less than a year into civilian life, having the SELRES fallback to keep some money coming in really saved our fiduciary asses. Kept us busy and the bills paid until new employment came through. And a flying job always beats a non-flying job, right? Get into a flying unit, any flying unit, that'll have you. Best thing about the Reserves is, if it's not working out in your command, you always have the option to find a new home, or quit the Navy altogether, for that matter. phrog's right - it's a hell of a lot easier to try it and leave, than resign and then try to get back in later.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Bringing this one back from the dead:

I'm looking for the process to affiliate as either FTS or SELRES at the VTs down here. I'll have about 13 months left on my ticket before I can pull chocks, which leaves BUPERS plenty of time to do me a real solid. Is there a way to make a smooth transition from active to the reserves, either as an FTS bubba or SELRES affiliate, or would I be boned into another set of orders, or can I stall, drop my letter and ride these out/transfer early?

If you go the SELRES route, what's your 'career progression' like?

This is all way early, and I'm sure I'll have more time to pick reservists brains once I start actually remembering peoples names in the squadron, but NPC's Reservist/FTS/SELRES website is as useless as tits on a warthog. Every link to an instruction takes me to a dead web page...awesome!

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I'll second that interest. Also, any guys that have done the transition to ANG. I'm looking at the NCANG up in Charlotte.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Bringing this one back from the dead:

I'm looking for the process to affiliate as either FTS or SELRES at the VTs down here. I'll have about 13 months left on my ticket before I can pull chocks, which leaves BUPERS plenty of time to do me a real solid. Is there a way to make a smooth transition from active to the reserves, either as an FTS bubba or SELRES affiliate, or would I be boned into another set of orders, or can I stall, drop my letter and ride these out/transfer early?

If you go the SELRES route, what's your 'career progression' like?

This is all way early, and I'm sure I'll have more time to pick reservists brains once I start actually remembering peoples names in the squadron, but NPC's Reservist/FTS/SELRES website is as useless as tits on a warthog. Every link to an instruction takes me to a dead web page...awesome!

I am pretty sure you can still apply for FTS with a letter of resignation in the system. Your squadron RDH can help you get started so talk to them.

The SELRES package is a different path. Your RDH, with word from the Wing OSO, should know when the next board is being conducted. They both can help you get a package together. You will have a better chance if you are in with the SAU CO and haven't pissed off the other SELRES.

For those not currently in the VTs, contact the Wing OSO (use to be OIC) for information about how to submit a package.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From what I'm seeing, you may get boned. I know it's a different community, but the Wings +8 guys are generally getting a set of orders if they're over a year. Of course the orders are 2 year orders. If you're under a year (or at day 365), you can drop your letter and then apply to everything. Depending on your timing, I suppose you could actually hit the window where you could apply to a FTS board as you're approaching your 12 months, but even then, you're beholden to your Community not allowing any spots to transition to FTS. You'll have to watch that as the time gets closer.

For SELRES, it's a little more straightforward because you pretty much have to have already dropped your letter to apply (at least from the board messages I've seen and/or written).

There's another thread in this section about getting into FTS that FlyBoyd and I wrote up about the tricks of working the FTS board. If you haven't read that recently, I'd go back through it, as it may help you figure out what other questions to ask right now and down the road. Pretty much everything still applies except that NPC isn't releasing many people in Aviation across the board. If you drop your letter, you don't have to worry about that. But again, you're back to the timing issue that everyone is having now.

The links on the site are hard to find, but once you find them, they're working, at least for me. They still scatter some of the FTS stuff randomly around the place, but for the most part, it's been corralled into one spot. I've been digging around in there a bunch lately. Try this:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/fulltimesupport/Pages/default2.aspx

This is something you'll want to be watching as your time gets closer (it's called the Year Group Limitation Matrix...for when they change the name of the file for the next board(s)):

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/reserve/fts/Documents/Encl 3 - SPRING FY13 FTS YG Matrix_1 FEB13.pdf

This is all FTS-centric, of course. For SELRES, Jim should be able to hook you up with the OSO. He and I have been chatting and sadly, it's not going to be me, but it's a good dude who was at VT-6 with me and picked up FTS at the same time I did.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Thanks.

If you go SELRES with the understanding that you're going to backdoor into an FTS gig, what does that do to the funny retirement math?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks.

If you go SELRES with the understanding that you're going to backdoor into an FTS gig, what does that do to the funny retirement math?

As long as you don't have a gap in service (which generally you wouldn't...more on that in a second), and you have a "good" year as a SELRES while awaiting to apply to FTS, nothing happens other than you may have one year with fewer points than the rest of the years. I'm not sure it's much to matter, but you could try and plug it into the retirement calculator and just make one year "50 points" and everything else 365 and see what happens. That would be a worst case scenario.

When/if transitioning from AC to SELRES, they now have an office called CTO (Career Transition Office...or something like that). While not every CTO is a winner, they have made the process much smoother. You can only do this if you're still active duty. This also usually helps with having no gap between your last day of active duty and your first day as a SELRES.

One last thing...You can back door the FTS gig two ways. One is dropping your letter and applying as active duty to the board (you go around NPC this way), the other is becoming a SELRES and then applying. You may know this already, but just clarifying.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
One last thing...You can back door the FTS gig two ways. One is dropping your letter and applying as active duty to the board (you go around NPC this way), the other is becoming a SELRES and then applying. You may know this already, but just clarifying.

That's what I got from the other thread. My question above was related to becoming a SELRES and then applying for FTS...more along the lines of, do you get your retirement at 20 a la FTS or do you have to wait until 59 once you've had the SELRES stink on you.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Yeah, I'll second that interest. Also, any guys that have done the transition to ANG. I'm looking at the NCANG up in Charlotte.

I am in the process of just that. There seems to be a HUGE misunderstanding somehwere amongst the AF/ANG HQ's about USN records and how to interpret the way we do business. I am going on 15 months still waiting on HQ approval. The process once you are hired by a unit is to go through an Aviator rating board OR have your prospective squadron do this in house which is called an ARB waiver. You give them all your navy aviation ratings and records, get a AF flight physical, then it goes off to state and national guard bureaus.

Peers of mine doing the same thing have experienced anywhere from 6-18 month time frames for this to happen, and like I said I am trending toward the 18 right now. When you talk to a squadron make sure you ask about the ARB waiver process, this is what you need to do, and if they haven't transferred a navy type before they may not know what the hell to do (my case).

I think I have a blank ARB package PDF somewhere, if your interested PM me.