• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into SELRES

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Yeah.. Problem is staying until 20 if you do that nowadays with the less than 100% LCDR screen rate.

I remember being told, in 100% seriousness by a CO "Pass the PRT, Don't go to Mast, get a DUI or an Adverse FITREP, and you WILL make LCDR.. DH might be a hard one though"

I'd say you probably have to wait until after LCDR screen to go "off the reservation" and be able to do it with impunity. I've gone so far off the reservation, I ended up in another one and went off that one too. Still glad I did it, but the whole "in seven months I won't have a job, and if I'm lucky, I won't be getting out from the middle east" is staring me in the face right now.

Master, You are so doom and gloom these days. Relax. You will be very marketable SELRES as 'junior most available' that you will be a shoe in for any reserve squadron. Fly, work some job (Pharma, anything,...) build time, and then work half the month as a airline guy. Most passover guys end up making out like bandits in the reserves. Oh, and they don't get booted out of a reserve squadron once they make 0-5 because they make it a few years later than their peer group. I would be willing to bet you that your quality of life will be immensly better in 9 months than it was the last 9. The only thing that sucks (and it is a small suck) for you is that you don't have the flight time now to get on the airline gig. My 2 cents- which is worth less and less each day!

MasterBates

I'm not trying to be doom/gloom, but I am getting jerked around a bit, which is kind of pissing me off.

One day, I can "do what I like" as far as reserves, the next day they tell me I am "Required" to affiliate with the SAU or VAW-77(checked with JAG, IRAD "pays off" the time I owe for the retread/DH bonus).. I want none of neither. I'll go to HSL-60 before I got to either.
One minute the squadron is "doing everything they can to keep me", then their actual actions (FITREP, Upgrade timing) show they've already written me off.
I've been fired/unfired as QAO at least 3 times that I know of, none of it performance or trust related. Strictly getting peoples tickets punched. (People get QAO on their FITREP, I do the actual work)

I've seriously been about ready to tell the USN to stuff it and get out completely. I think once the results are out and it's at least written is semi solid adobe I'll be much more OK with it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Master,

Those are Fleet Games. Trust me you are a very good SELRES candidate. Affiliate with anything that will build Fixed Wing PIC or to whomever will pay the bills (then transfer to the prior) and don't look back. You will not regret any of it. In fact you will be an 0-4 on the very next board- I am willing to wager on it! That is what all the Marines did in Meridian. Get passed over, get out, affiliate, make 0-4. The record was 2 weeks (if I remember correctly).

MasterBates

Dumb question- Are they caring about FW PIC of the Part 1 or 61 version?

The higherups (mostly NFOs) have been telling me "whacha worried about, airlines are hiring" then I try to explain the part 61 vs part 1 PIC, and how unless I'm an Aircraft Commander I don't get the 61 time, therefore, no I can't just go to the airlines and make $100k/yr next week.

Me and another E-2 retread (former S-3 NFO) were talking about this the other day, how it's kind of dumb how LTJG XXXX from the Dogs (VFA) is more "qualified" to fly airliners than either of us, because while we have heavy multi (Heavy relative to USN, not the FAA Heavy) time in a multicrew aircraft, she has A time out the wazoo in a Multi-Turbine aircraft, and we don't. But that's how it is.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Dumb question- Are they caring about FW PIC of the Part 1 or 61
version?

If you ain't signing for the aircraft you ain't the PIC as far as they are concerned. At the major level. Regionals may not care. Now sure about ACMI carriers or Foreign places like Emirites(sp?). It's their game so they set the rules. Sorry.

That is why you build your time in the Reserves with a decent pay job like Drug Sales (the legal kind) like some of those low time Harrier guys did getting out around 2002-5 time frame

MasterBates

Might be a random tangent, but as a Junior guy in SELRES land, how long before I can sign for the plane?

I've been flying E-2s for 2.5 years and have 25ish PIC hours from the random times I've been allowed to sign for it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Might be a random tangent, but as a Junior guy in SELRES land, how long before I can sign for the plane?

I've been flying E-2s for 2.5 years and have 25ish PIC hours from the random times I've been allowed to sign for it.

Dunno. I think you control it; as most in the VR world (that I know) don't really care who signs.. Just pay me my drills! And in the training command world you are almost always signing for it. You know they have C-12s/T-44s down in Corpus, and if they are like all the other SELRES units they are dying for Junior (0-3 types) folks. Ask that Flyboyd dude, I think he is an FTS down there. Don't know much about the E-2 reserve sqn so I didn't address it. You to talk them on a drill weekend and get the 411.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Me and another E-2 retread (former S-3 NFO) were talking about this the other day, how it's kind of dumb how LTJG XXXX from the Dogs (VFA) is more "qualified" to fly airliners than either of us, because while we have heavy multi (Heavy relative to USN, not the FAA Heavy) time in a multicrew aircraft, she has A time out the wazoo in a Multi-Turbine aircraft, and we don't. But that's how it is.

Don't jet guys/gals have a center line thrust restriction, and notations on all their time? I would figure that would come into play at some point.

MasterBates

When they use their NATOPS to get a Comm Ticket/ATP maybe.

Once it's gone, it's ME Turbine AFAIK. (I'll let HAL and Frank chime in on this)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Don't jet guys/gals have a center line thrust restriction, and notations on all their time? I would figure that would come into play at some point.

Yes on the Commercial Ticket but when you get your ATP there is an extra requirement to remove the restriction. I didn't need to do it because I was an S-3 guy and had mine removed at the FSDO before I went to Meridian. But my bud was a harrier dude and had to do the extra maneuver. (He also had to use Cessna time to make the ATP mins) Final cost during checkride exactly the same and that was all that matters to us cheap ass pilots!:icon_wink

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Master, FWIW regionals are hiring like CRAZY. I just sep'd from AD, picked up an instructor gig with a large regional carrier, and am working on affiliating with, cough cough, the ANG. I know my company is hiring ~20-30 dudes per month. Its shit pay for the first year, and all the bad stuff you hear about it is true, but I can almost guarantee you a job with the time and experience you have from the USN, and most of the guys that run the show here are ex-mil types so they are very friendly towards our kind. It might be a feasible option for a year or two until the big leagues start hiring again pretty soon. Just my .02c, feel free to PM me if you want some details.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I know also that the major carriers are about to open up a bunch of jobs because so many dudes are coming up on the 65 mark for retirement...

Heard that several times from many SWA and like commercial pilots.