• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into SELRES

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I know also that the major carriers are about to open up a bunch of jobs because so many dudes are coming up on the 65 mark for retirement...

Heard that several times from many SWA and like commercial pilots.

Was talking about this today with guys at work. Seems in 2010 there was only 350 ish commercial tickets issued, that and the fact that alot of guys will be hitting the number around the 2012/13 change seems to indicate there will be a heavy need for stick monkeys.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Timing wise is a shame the Navy couldnt get the P-8 online earlier... VP-30 could have doubled as the FRS for SWA as well.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Non issue, (All ATPs) ATP removes the CL thrust restriction. Although the crew coordination in single sticked jet is different, sitting next to someone is vastly easier (having done both), and the chances are far less for completely fonging it away with another set of eyes, hands and a mouth to keep you out of trouble (it also can get you into trouble). Signing for a plane is all that matters, the airlines are not egalitarian.

The C-40 guys qual as a 2P out of the sims, C-9 guys had to make TAC in two years. Getting mobilized would help that timing, but squadrons are always fat with 2 and 3Ps.

TRACOM is the best bet for A time, and the most damned fun (some locations suck though).

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
MB- If you are dead set on doing the airline thing....here is my advice.

Find a SELRES gig that can get you the PIC hours you need*. Move as close to that gig as possible and find some kind of employment to make up the income gap. Build your time and network with the other SELRES. Open profiles and applications as windows open and keep them up-to-date. As you build time you may find a flying job that can replace your non-flying job. Eventually, it will work out but you may live a Puma type life again for a while.

* - The VTs are the best place to build Turbine PIC the quickest. You will be basically be the PIC right out of the gate. VT-31/35 are great places to build ME PIC. Keep in mind that you can lobby for 179/365 day active duty periods. Get one of those gigs here and you can get what you need very quickly. There are even C-12 flying 6-12 month IAs open to SELRES. One dude came back with 1500 ME PIC hours in a KA350. VT-31 has SELRES on flying IAs right now. Hell, even a T-34/T-6 gig will get you qualed for SWA, Delta, etc. Getting picked up is the first step. Start calling and telling the TW FTS dudes (used to be call OICs) you are interested. You basically have to rush the squadron so the SAU CO (a.k.a. SELRES CO) knows who you are. The fact that you are relocating for the job as I mentioned above will carry a lot of weight.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Move as close to that gig as possible and find some kind of employment to make up the income gap.

Everything FlyBoyd said was spot on, especially this. The guys who live farther away than a few hours' drive but don't have convenient transportation (ie. airline jumpseat privileges) have a hard time lasting more than their first year or two in a reserve unit. Worst case is some of them simply don't even make their minimums and get booted from the unit back to the IRR.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MB - don't write off 77 and the SAU. Yeah, it's E-2s, but as kool-aid goes, ours is much smoother and less bitter. Usually with some rum added, too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MB - don't write off 77 and the SAU. Yeah, it's E-2s, but as kool-aid goes, ours is much smoother and less bitter. Usually with some rum added, too.

I can't speak for VP, but the above is the fundamental thing to understand about the reserves. Just because you're flying the same aircraft as a REGNAV squadron doesn't mean you play all the same reindeer games. Yeah, you're still part of the same Wing (unless you're VR), but life is just different (and I'd argue better) in a Reserve squadron compared to the same community's active squadron.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Perhaps an obvious question, but are all the Lieutenants I see in VR (NALO) squadrons guys whose 8 year commitment ran out, and then they transitioned to the USNR? I'm always surprised at the amount of LTs I see on those planes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Perhaps an obvious question, but are all the Lieutenants I see in VR (NALO) squadrons guys whose 8 year commitment ran out, and then they transitioned to the USNR? I'm always surprised at the amount of LTs I see on those planes.

Generally, yes. There were a few first tour guys a couple of years ago, but what you're probably seeing are guys that recently got out and recently affiliated. Generally, SELRES get passed over for O-4 once on the active side because they've dropped a letter. Once they come back into the reserve side, they get picked up the following board with no problem.