• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting in to 184

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

perchul- ur from brooklyn? where is your OSO office? where about in brooklyn? Im from Rockland County,NY

Praying to get in 184

perchul

I'm from Greenpoint, Brooklyn...but I'm with OSO Miami I went to school in Florida

Tolerance only benefits the weak

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
What I heard from the SSGT at my OSO office is that it's up to the individual OSOs to set deadlines for application packages to be complete, so it may vary from office to office. Mine still hasn't been set in, but I think that I might be an exception to whatever my OSO's rule is since the delay in my case is due to factors beyond my control (medical waiver, everything else was done early May).

As far as ground vs. air... does anyone know whether it's possible to drop an air contract (switch from SNA to "Basic Officer" MOS designator at TBS)? I've heard of people doing this with a little bit of extra paperwork, although I've also heard rumors that they stopped letting people do that recently due to the decreased need for ground officers. I'd love to fly, although my girlfriend isn't too thrilled about the whole 8-10 year air contract, and being a Marine officer is more important to me than getting a particular MOS. I wouldn't sign an air contract if I had no intention to fly, of course, but I would still like to know whether that's an option.

mccabe1919

My OSO here in Pittsburgh told me that it is very hard to switch from Air to ground once you are in because of availability of jobs. I'm hoping that I get in first, from what they were showing me it is really competitive right now. You are correct about the timeline though. My package was sent in on Friday. Good luck to all of you though...

dvl_dog_2531

Esday--I've heard that if you drop your Air contract the do not consider your MOS preference and instead put you in the MOS in least demand to really discourage this practice due to the high need for aviators.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
devil dog-
mccabe-
esday-
anyone else who might be wondering-

If you drop your air contract while at TBS, you still can enter regular MOS selection. At one point in time this was encouraged. Because of the high need for aviators, those who want to drop their air contract will be counseled, and have to go in front of a board, basically to try and encourage you not to drop your air contract.

You don't lose all choice of your MOS until you go to Pensacola, and get somehow disqualified from flight training. Then it's "needs of the corps" for you.

dvl_dog_2531

Thanks for the gouge. Washing out of P-cola must have been what I was warned about.

Out of curiousity, do people often drop their Air option and is there any negative ramifications for doing so?

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Taxman2a- thanks a lot for the info. I'll try to talk to my OSO about it soon.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Actually, its not exactly like that either. The guys in my TBS company that dropped their air contracts needed to decide pretty early in the training cycle (like really quick). They told the XO, and he had to send it up to HQMC. I'm pretty sure they all got approved, but its not as easy as you think. After this, they got to do the regular selection process like everyone else. This is where you rank every MOS in the Marine Corps top to bottom in the order of your preference. They take out all the guaranteed air and law guys and divide the class into 1/3rds based on grade rankings. Then the MOS's are assigned according to where you are at in your respective 1/3rd. This gets a little weird because the top guy in the bottom 1/3rd of the class is more likely to get his top choice of MOS than the bottom guy in the top 1/3rd. The system assured a good quality spread. Anyways.... Just wanted to point out that if you are going to drop your air contract, you might want to do it before you get to TBS.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

wonderboy47

Now that we are down to the final week, here's another rumor from my OSO: this time there are about 200 applicants for about 70 slots.
Good luck everyone.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
My OSO said 1500 apps for 300 slots .... you really can't go on that .... no one REALLY knows except the board. It also doesn't make sense to go nuts over it cause it's out of our hands now ...... still prayin though!!!!!!! Wonder ... you trying for Pilot or NFO

Peace,

-Spin

wonderboy47

Spin: I'm going for pilot.

There's nothing to do now but wait. Last week/this weekend was really easy because the Blue Angels are in town to distract me....and there goes a C-17....Once all the air shows are over I can focus on the anxiety again.

Status
Not open for further replies.