• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting in to 184

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Everyone on this site seems to be in really good shape and really worried. Now I am paranoid. My package is sent in. Good is that I have about 13 or so solid references, a 279 on my pft and pretty good essay. The bad is that I made some mistakes in school(UMD - College Park). I had way too much fun. I cant change it. If I had known about PLC Im sure my gpa would have been higher. My ASTB score was ok, though not great. Now Im wondering how my chances are. Has anyone here been to OCS and met some kids who have made mistakes and gotten in? Does anyone know if a NFO vs. NA slot make a difference? Does an increase in 70 pts on a pft in 3 months make a difference?

perchul

I'm in the same exact boat reaper, I think we just need to sit and find out....If I need to I'm already preparing to post-bacc

Tolerance only benefits the weak

topher1235

All I have heard is late July early August for the board. Anyone else have a more definitive date? I'm out in California, if it matters. Thanks.

Topher

perchul

Well I have an exact date for when they meet FYI, the first day the board is suppose to come together according to my oso is aug 6

Tolerance only benefits the weak

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Does anyone know when the deadline is for having packages sent in? Also, how many ground contracts are available, and how competitive are those compared to air slots right now? I am going to try to get some of this info from my OSO soon, but if anyone has heard anything about either of these, it would be helpful.

wonderboy47

If you sift through the site you can find 12 different due dates and board dates for 184 applications.
My OSO told me 10 July was the due date, and that the board results should be released the second week of August.
He also told me that ground is more competitive than air, for now.

reapergm

Anyone know who this board is? How many members? Ranks? etc. I feel like Im applying to college again. My OSO in Albany NY said our packages were due on July 3rd. So mine is in. Although... I am going to take another PFT on the 21st. He said that the PFT will be an update for the application. So.. maybe packages can still be sent in at this point. Just remember, it has to be approved at the local level before the board sees it. That probably takes time too. And my OSO also said ground is nearly impossible right now. He said that the fall is alot easier than the summer... Not as many college kids as well as alot of Marines are retiring soon b/c the war is over and theyre coming back.

goldwingdreams

reapergm, I feel your pain. I think we are all in the same boat. I had too much fun in school and am paying for it too.

I've heard a little scuttlebutt on the board and it sounds like you guys are right on WRT to dates and such. Definitely finsih up your apps by the end of this month if you can. I'm in the process myself and hopefully i'll be g2g by 8/1.

Fall because more NFO slots are open. If you want pilot, you are going to have to wait until FY05 as they have over-filled slots for this fiscal year.

Fall is alo better to start OCS as Pensacola is unbearably hot during the summer.

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace."

President Theodore Roosevelt

CandKyMarine

goldwing-
I think reaper is talking about Marine OCS not Nacy OCS. Pilot slots are not overfilled for the USMC, but the groud is next to impossible.

1devildoc

Yeah, that is exactly what my husbands Marine OSO told him. The OSO said air was his best shot.
My husband is currently an active duty Navy hospital corpsman with 12 years in service. He decided to go the Marine route since he has been stationed with the Marines half of his career, and loved it.
He has submitted a SNA package for OCS 184. Everything looks good if they make the "exception to age policy". We will just have to wait and see.
Good luck everyone...Hope to see you all at OCS 184 graduation!

reapergm

devildoc- My OSO said that the fall is alittle easier to get into than it is in the summer. Probably for a bunch of reasons. Not easier in training.. I guess I wrote that wrong. And yeah, Im going for Marines, not Navy. Anyone know how many OCS dates the Navy has. Just out of curiousity... The home page has a ton of post all refering to OCS start dates. It seems like the Navy has 40 OCS classes a year.

kmc9280

The fall is easier to get in because it is the beginning of the fiscal year. The summer class is at the end, hence the higher selectivity. Make sense?

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.