• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Get selected but CO wont release me

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Most importantly, @hs2128759, DO NOT do anything stupid like going all Sea Lawyer on your command or just heading out and getting drunk off your ass just to register your displeasure. Things will almost certainly work out so stay the course, do your duty, and play the good shipmate until your turn comes.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Question- as what point does the young sailor have to reapply to an officer program?

I don't think there's really a set number here. Each circumstance is different and I still think there's some sort of detail missing that is impacting the whole picture of this story. Perhaps a Chief is saying no, but CO doesn't care? Or perhaps it was communicated before that OP's ship date + availability would be a ways out due to ____ reasons?

haubby

None
Contributor
His/her follow on posts are removed so there is more to the story. I get it... I was extended on my 1st DH tour by almost 6 months. My next job was a spot promote so every month I remained on that ship past my PRD cost me money. I ended up promoting to LCDR while enroute to my next ship.

It's a hard pill to swallow knowing you could transfer at X month but your command makes a desicion to let you transer at Y month. For me it was a PERS desicion outside of my ships control. The ship could have gapped the CHENG billet but who would realistically do that?

I am all about getting people off the ship for professional development, especially for OCS. No one wants to stifle that upward mobility. This Sailor is owed a reason for the why and I'd hope the ship gave them the hard answers...

exNavyOffRec

Former CRUDES CHENG here: Alot of things could be at play which may be keeping you on the ship longer. Are you a GSE? Which underway watches do you stand? Depending on the depth on the bench will your early departure put people in a port and starboard situation or worse? Within your rate, are there any junior Sailors reporting soon? Does your ship have a deployment on the horizon and are they just keeping you for the deployment?

Have you asked to speak to your CO about his/her desicion on the why if it hasnt been adequately answered by your CoC? That conversation may help you understand the why.

And please, if you don't understand your importance and your role within the department please take some time and think about that. You're more important than you think. At least you have been deemed important enough to gain a spot at OCS...
I feel many times if a person is told the "why" behind the reason it will put everything in perspective.

Looking at some of the items you brought up I have seen the same brought up as to why a person couldn't go to a "C" school, or take leave at a specific time. The same command would immediately remove any female from the ship that popped up pregnant without regard to the the effect on the watchbill or anything else even though they could stay on the ship for several months, due to this my LT didn't disclose her pregnancy for close to 8 weeks as she didn't want to get removed prior to an inspection we were having.

If a command can get by without someone who just finds out they are pregnant they should be able to get by without a person who has another opportunity.

To quantify "immediately" depending on the CO that could be a few weeks, or being cut TAD orders that day and off the ship.

hscs

pilot
OP wouldn't happen to be a rescue swimmer or in the middle of MOB-E. Former could be a strong reason to stay until a replacement is named.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would think Millington/OTC would be wiling to work with accommodating the losing command's release date, though? This can't be the first Fleet selectee in this position.

I'm not sure if they're still sticking to this system (I would guess they are), but in 2018-ish, getting an enlisted body into a billet was a 15 month process due to how the detailing process was setup. In some ways, this was good for the sailors, so they didn't get jerked around like the officers do with orders, but it also severely limits the Navy's flexibility when a hot fill comes up (assuming the higher ISIC can't pull someone from another command).

chief results

usually chief selection

If the Chinese want to swiftly win a war with the U.S. Navy, all they have to do is attack at the end of September. The whole damn Navy grinds to a halt during Chief season.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't think there's really a set number here. Each circumstance is different and I still think there's some sort of detail missing that is impacting the whole picture of this story. Perhaps a Chief is saying no, but CO doesn't care? Or perhaps it was communicated before that OP's ship date + availability would be a ways out due to ____ reasons?
So a year? Two years? Ever? He earned his crack at OCS, is there a scenario is which he won't get to go at all because his command won't release him for what is or could be a 3 month TAD?
OP wouldn't happen to be a rescue swimmer or in the middle of MOB-E. Former could be a strong reason to stay until a replacement is named.

This is really my question- even waiting for the next PCS cycle isn't the end of the world.

But I completely understand why an NCO sailor in an important billet would leave the Navy ASAP if they were selected but couldn't go to OCS because they were just too important in their current role.

haubby

None
Contributor
I really don't think that could/would ever happen, a Sailor losing a spot at OCS because they were to important on the ship. If that truly was the case I'd be going to ISIC or opening an IG.

My best guess barring no context is that this Sailor had a ship date to OCS and the ship requested a later OCS class to support whatever the ship had going on. Was the difference 3 months? Six months? Who knows. This obviously sucks for the Sailor but could be entirely reasonable given more information.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention nobody would fight back since they're all out of funding for the FY.

Except for the thousands of $ that are suddenly found and then spent in the last week of September on luxury office chairs that then only seem to end up under the asses of the Chiefs in Maintenance. Funny how that happens.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except for the thousands of $ that are suddenly found and then spent in the last week of September on luxury office chairs that then only seem to end up under the asses of the Chiefs in Maintenance. Funny how that happens.
I probably could have gotten a lot more cool gear in my JO squadron if I’d just taken the expedient step of butt-snorkeling the MMCO, who seemed to have unlimited funds available . . . for the DHs and up he needed to kiss ass to.

exNavyOffRec

That must be an aviation thing, in Reactor we would get our consumable budget Oct 1st and by Oct 2nd it was gone lol.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not to mention nobody would fight back since they're all out of funding for the FY.

Incorrect. There's plenty of funding, it's just all being siphoned to the Chief-Selects who are at the gas station asking to pump your fuel for you. Or whatever new donation game is being played now.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Incorrect. There's plenty of funding, it's just all being siphoned to the Chief-Selects who are at the gas station asking to pump your fuel for you. Or whatever new donation game is being played now.
Maybe that’s where all our “mess dues” on the ship go too.