• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Get selected but CO wont release me

hs2128759

I got selected for SWO in March 2023 , but my co and xo wont release me until May 2024 , will the navy keep the position for me ? or how can I fight for shipping early ? thanks a lot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I generally agree folks selected for OCS should be released ASAP, there are some billets (IDC, CRUDES MAA, etc) where there is literally just one person assigned to do a very particular job. In those cases, releasing an individual before their relief is onboard could put the command in a bad spot - particularly with an upcoming deployment.

BL: It depends, need more info.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
While I generally agree folks selected for OCS should be released ASAP, there are some billets (IDC, CRUDES MAA, etc) where there is literally just one person assigned to do a very particular job. In those cases, releasing an individual before their relief is onboard could put the command in a bad spot - particularly with an upcoming deployment.

BL: It depends, need more info.

Are Navy squadrons really set up with single point of failure billets? Or is it just that leadership's lives would be easier for another few months? Is that worth the consequences to a Sailor's career and not letting them have their shot at earning a commission? (I don't know what IDC or MAA is...)

I'm, not trying to be a dick at all, it's an honest question.

Context: one of the things I like about the ANG is that once an Airman has a TFOT (OCS) slot, the local command has no say in whether they can go or not. They're going when the Guard Beaureu puts their name on the spreadsheet. We also have a lot of single point of failure jobs, and it sucks when you lose that NCO (who is trusted with that single point of failure job because they're good, so this happens frequently), but in the long run it's good for the individual and the service, it's just inconvenient for everyone else.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are Navy squadrons really set up with single point of failure billets? Or is it just that leadership's lives would be easier for another few months? Is that worth the consequences to a Sailor's career and not letting them have their shot at earning a commission? (I don't know what IDC or MAA is...)
Not squadrons per se, for these examples, but many ships are. IDC - Independent Duty Corpsman (usually an HM1 or HMC) - will be the only medical personnel on a lot of ships. CRUDES have only 1 Master At Arms billet to run the security/force protection/anti-terrorism functions. If I were a ship's CO, I would not want to deploy without those critical NECs in place. The way those billets are planned for by PERS is based on PRDs. If you let someone go early for Officer Programs, Skill Bridge, etc, that billet will be gapped until that person's PRD. In most cases, that is manageable, but not always.

exNavyOffRec

I'm, not trying to be a dick at all, it's an honest question.

Context: one of the things I like about the ANG is that once an Airman has a TFOT (OCS) slot, the local command has no say in whether they can go or not. They're going when the Guard Beaureu puts their name on the spreadsheet. We also have a lot of single point of failure jobs, and it sucks when you lose that NCO (who is trusted with that single point of failure job because they're good, so this happens frequently), but in the long run it's good for the individual and the service, it's just inconvenient for everyone else.
Not a squadron but with ships company sometimes small division have a potential single point failure. I have seen twice where Reactor Laboratories was supposed to have an ELT qualified MMC but didn't due to one random reason or another. In the cases I saw there was no choice so they stuck at ETC to lead the division. If their was a choice to keep the person I am sure they would have postponed the orders. In most cases there is more than 1 ELT qualified MMC in the department due to someone making Chief or someone about to rotate out.

In the end everything worked out fine so there was no issue at all, unusual circumstance yes but a way was found to make due.

haubby

None
Contributor
Former CRUDES CHENG here: Alot of things could be at play which may be keeping you on the ship longer. Are you a GSE? Which underway watches do you stand? Depending on the depth on the bench will your early departure put people in a port and starboard situation or worse? Within your rate, are there any junior Sailors reporting soon? Does your ship have a deployment on the horizon and are they just keeping you for the deployment?

Have you asked to speak to your CO about his/her desicion on the why if it hasnt been adequately answered by your CoC? That conversation may help you understand the why.

And please, if you don't understand your importance and your role within the department please take some time and think about that. You're more important than you think. At least you have been deemed important enough to gain a spot at OCS...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A zillion years ago, when I was picked up for AOCS, my Marine unit was set to go out on a Med Float. My company commander wanted to deny my orders and the battalion XO agreed…I thought I was doomed. But, the battalion commander said that if America couldn’t fight and win her wars without Devil Dog Griz in place we had deeper problems…maybe at the company level. The company CO took the hint and sent me packing. BLUF…a good commander knows what is good for the individual, ship, and the service and they’ll usually do the right thing.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can we sticky this post for the “enlist for a better chance at OCS” thing?
This +1. They don't have to have a good reason to say no...they don't even have to have a reason.

@Swanee Ships don't try to wind up in that position, but sometimes shit happens, though sometimes it also happens adjacent to poor planning. Doesn't even have to be a high-profile billet. On my first ship we had three qualified Master Helmsmen (typically E-3/-4s, needed for driving the boat during higher-risk evolutions like getting underway, UNREPS, etc). In the space of two months on cruise, one went home on emergency leave (wife killed in car crash, baby badly injured), one popped positive after a port call in Costa Rica, and the third lost his qual after his second Mast for underage drinking. I don't know if something like that is the situation here or if the CO is just being a Shoe about it.

I would think Millington/OTC would be wiling to work with accommodating the losing command's release date, though? This can't be the first Fleet selectee in this position.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I would think Millington/OTC would be wiling to work with accommodating the losing command's release date, though? This can't be the first Fleet selectee in this position.
I was wondering the same thing and I really hope it works out that way.

Jacksa71

I am kinda in a similar situation but it’s with the chief mess. We have a big inspection coming up, chief results, and other personnel life changes along with my selection with in my division. I was planning on leaving as early as possible which I believe the skipper would’ve let me leave, honestly. Looking at the manning, inspection preparation, and possible more than usually chief selection, I would be hurting the command and other peer evals. I do believe, that one of the other 5 of the 6 same rated E6s could easily fill the shoes and pass inspection but if 3 people make chief and two people leaves at the same time then the experience is gone leading to preparing for a big inspection and training new people will suck. As suggest, it could be more than you know. I’m not sure what pay grade you are (could matter) but since my selection i have been in the loop a little more from chiefs and officers. I don’t know everything but everyone is giving subjective advice and things to think about.