• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Generation Kill

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Hhhmm....like two engines? ;)

Bigger diff than just two motors - actually very little similarities between the one-holer and two-holer Hueys. Tail rotor on different sides (pusher vs. tractor), gear boxes, cabin design, electrical system, magnesium vs. aluminum, Different main rotor designs and blades, etc.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just watched episode 7 - the end?

Just finished watching episode 7 - I assume that's the end? Final thoughts anyone?

Has anyone read Nate Fick's book? What happens "after the story"?

AJB37

Has anyone read Nate Fick's book? What happens "after the story"?

I read Fick's book. It really just talked about him getting out. The unit was redeployed and suffered some men wounded in an ambush. The captain who replaced Fick was killed assaulting an enemy emplacement.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Bigger diff than just two motors - actually very little similarities between the one-holer and two-holer Hueys. Tail rotor on different sides (pusher vs. tractor), gear boxes, cabin design, electrical system, magnesium vs. aluminum, Different main rotor designs and blades, etc.

I was actually going for external visual clues...you know stuff you can tell as it zooms by at 120 kts...so you got me on the tail rotor. ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Mystery of the Shiney Huey puzzled me, too. I mean, yeah, okay, they couldn't get a no-shite UH-1N for the production, but given the grea lengths the show has gone through to look authentic with everything else, why leave it all shined up? Not sure why painting it Ghost Grey would have been a problem, and would have made it look at least sorta authentic.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i'm guessing some rich aircraft collector didn't want his 'Nam baby painted haze grey. I'm sure movie production deals with all kinds of prima donnas, and eventually people probably just say eff it and call things that aren't quite right part of their creative license.

I liked the show. I read the book a few years ago, and think the show matches up pretty well. They went over the top and out of context on some things, though, but all in all, well done for a cable show.

I'm glad the show is finally over. Without this or the olympics on, I can go to bed before midnight now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
i'm guessing some rich aircraft collector didn't want his 'Nam baby painted haze grey. I'm sure movie production deals with all kinds of prima donnas, and eventually people probably just say eff it and call things that aren't quite right part of their creative license.

It's actually quite easy to paint up an aircraft for a movie and then restore it back to its original paint. I don't know what they use, but they apply some sort of temp "coating" over the current paint to make it match what they need. Once shooting is complete, they strip it off. If anyone has seen "Body Snatchers (the remake in 1993 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106452/ ...a horrible movie, but if you're a Gabrielle Anwar of Burn Notice fan, it has some minor potential), the Huey in that movie was "repainted" as I described.

Fun fact: The movie was shot at KSEM in Selma. It's an old Army base that was shut down right before the movie. Back in 1994-ish, there was still one or two FBOs there, one of which was run by a helo pilot that had his own Huey. Yup, he's the pilot in the movie and that was his bird. He explained how they repainted it for the film.

I've bounced at SEM many times in the T-34 but the place looks completely shutdown. There's one or two trucks by the hangars, but otherwise I have NEVER seen anyone on the aviation side of the property. Kind of sad, as the facilities are still pretty nice. Another example of a "lost airport" that you find around the country.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I read Fick's book a little over a month ago. It ended mostly of him talking about leaving and entering a master's program. He described his reasons for leaving as essentially that he had become a reluctant warrior and that he considered himself lucky to bring all of his men back. Great read, great show... great thread.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
You probably use a checklist when you fly too! Nazi!

Look at his "tag". He self-admits that he's officially part of the problem...

If you ever want to know what is going on in your squadron unit etc go have a cigarette in the smoke pit, dont smoke go have a cigar. Get there light up shut up and listen the things you learn will amaze you and inform you.

Another endorsement for a very true fact. I used to smoke, and when I was aircraft Div O my senior chief and I got all the drug deals done in the smoke pit. Coordinating with the AT shop to the Ordies on getting the phases done like a well oiled machine. Those 10 minute breaks is really where all the planning gets done, better than the morning maintenance meetings.

Underway, you pick up stuff from ship's company that'll prevent you from either looking like a fool or failing miserably when you're running a DET.

Light 'em if you got 'em.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Nice little series. Am I correct in assuming the video the marines put together was mostly real footage?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Nice little series. Am I correct in assuming the video the marines put together was mostly real footage?

It was a remix of show footage. The last photo in front of the Saddam statue is based off one the platoon actually took, but if you compare with the one in the book, they're different.