• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY2018 O-4 Board

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
It's back in VP and pretty formalized. The first bunch of guys who did it under its current iteration are in the middle of their DH tours now, so it will be pretty interesting to see how they end up.
I would be curious to know how it works out. Had a buddy do it at the beginning, back in '11, said it was a bit of a shit show as they didn't quite know what to do with him. Kinda got hosed FITREP wise.

I think an alternate track for SMEs, where you can't go higher than O4 or O5 would be a good thing. Kinda like they were trying to do with the warrant officer thing, but have them be full officers so they can command a crew. If a guy had a lot of flying experience, maybe ONE non-joint staff tour, and a lot of fleet experience, I don't know how that couldn't benefit the squadron.

As much as I love the fact that i'll probably only work 10-12 days this month, I'd have gone back to a squadron if I could have just been an O4 SME, helping develop tactical expertise for crews, and focusing on the mission rather than all the other O4 BS, I'd have done it. I know going to the squadron is a lot of work and a lot of long days, but if I were divorced of the need to do a bunch of extra crap to get a good FITREP, and I could just focus on being tactically and aviation proficient, and teaching those things, it would have been very rewarding.

There is a need for the O4s who fight the readiness battle (to a limited extent, "readiness" is another screed for another thread), resources battle, and all the other shit associated with managing a squadron. Stuff they will need to know as a skipper. Unfortunately it means they often don't have the time to devote to flying and are often less proficient than JOs.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
but if I were divorced of the need to do a bunch of extra crap to get a good FITREP, and I could just focus on being tactically and aviation proficient.
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but trying to better understand what those things are. I was the maintenance officer for 13 months of my DH tour. My FITREP(s) were based on how well (or how poorly) I ran the maintenance department and led in the air. There were no reindeer games; just being MO and flying my face off. To be fair, I had a great front office who probably ate a lot of shit sandwiches so the rest of us could do just what I've described. My gut tells me that the community and individual squadron leadership determine a lot of this.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Thanks, I guess?

It's not an attack on you or anyone else. I just have yet to see any rumors about board results yield helpful or individually actionable information. I agree 100% that waiting 4-5 months for board results sucks hard.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but trying to better understand what those things are. I was the maintenance officer for 13 months of my DH tour. My FITREP(s) were based on how well (or how poorly) I ran the maintenance department and led in the air. There were no reindeer games; just being MO and flying my face off. To be fair, I had a great front office who probably ate a lot of shit sandwiches so the rest of us could do just what I've described. My gut tells me that the community and individual squadron leadership determine a lot of this.

It's not just your gut- I am hearing this over and over again as I get ready to start my DH tour: front office quality is a YUGE factor in one's enjoyment of a DH tour.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
It's not an attack on you or anyone else. I just have yet to see any rumors about board results yield helpful or individually actionable information. I agree 100% that waiting 4-5 months for board results sucks hard.

No worries. It's my second look, so I know the effect that rumors/conjecture can have. I just couldn't stand to see the adults in the room having a meaningful conversation.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
My gut tells me that the community and individual squadron leadership determine a lot of this.

you're totally right there! Across my peer group there were widely divergent DH experiences. One guy I know flew his ass off, did his ground job pretty well, and got hammered for flying too much - being told his focus was his ground job, not flying. Others had much better leadership who rewarded both. In all cases, there never seemed to be enough hours in the day to be good at both. Partly I think this is due to the excessive BS DH's have to track and deal with, i.e. readiness.

My experiences are generally VP-centric, so take that for what it's worth.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be curious to know how it works out. Had a buddy do it at the beginning, back in '11, said it was a bit of a shit show as they didn't quite know what to do with him. Kinda got hosed FITREP wise.

I think an alternate track for SMEs, where you can't go higher than O4 or O5 would be a good thing. Kinda like they were trying to do with the warrant officer thing, but have them be full officers so they can command a crew. If a guy had a lot of flying experience, maybe ONE non-joint staff tour, and a lot of fleet experience, I don't know how that couldn't benefit the squadron.

As much as I love the fact that i'll probably only work 10-12 days this month, I'd have gone back to a squadron if I could have just been an O4 SME, helping develop tactical expertise for crews, and focusing on the mission rather than all the other O4 BS, I'd have done it. I know going to the squadron is a lot of work and a lot of long days, but if I were divorced of the need to do a bunch of extra crap to get a good FITREP, and I could just focus on being tactically and aviation proficient, and teaching those things, it would have been very rewarding.

There is a need for the O4s who fight the readiness battle (to a limited extent, "readiness" is another screed for another thread), resources battle, and all the other shit associated with managing a squadron. Stuff they will need to know as a skipper. Unfortunately it means they often don't have the time to devote to flying and are often less proficient than JOs.

The FITREP thing is unfortunate in VP as we collectively get out of flight school way earlier than other communities, and as such a lot of the SMTIs/super JOs are not in the O-4 select crowd for a good portion of their tours. Some dudes even finish up before they screen. I have pretty traditional timing so once the list comes out in the fall I'll be in 1 of 1 land and will spend the last 6 months of my tour as a hinge. Day 1 here I literally had to dispel the rumors amongst JOPA that I would be an EP hog.

That being said, our community has issues managing this program, but those are best discussed over beverages.....

sickboy

pilot
you're totally right there! Across my peer group there were widely divergent DH experiences. One guy I know flew his ass off, did his ground job pretty well, and got hammered for flying too much - being told his focus was his ground job, not flying. Others had much better leadership who rewarded both. In all cases, there never seemed to be enough hours in the day to be good at both. Partly I think this is due to the excessive BS DH's have to track and deal with, i.e. readiness.

My experiences are generally VP-centric, so take that for what it's worth.

You pretty much described my last FITREP debrief.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At any rate, the number of post-DH flying billets is pretty minimal anyway. What kind of flying billet did you think you should have been assigned as a non-due course O4? I can't think of many.

I have all the flying a non-due course O4 could ever want. I have 4 gapped OP-T DH billets because the Navy hasn't been able to send an AD O4 to my command in 3 years. I have gapped billets for any O4 that aren't being filled. That's just where I am at. There are 3 other VTJ squadrons in similar circumstances. I would argue that the navy isn't making the best detailing choices for these folk. Send me the non-due course folks, we can get a great ROI on it. And it benefits both the Navy & the member who wants to fly.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Those good idea trackers and slideshows aren't going to email themselves back and forth between higher and lower echelons and otherwise spawn more trackers and slideshows. We are putting too much emphasis on warfighting in this thread. (Can someone quantify this emphasis in a one-page executive summary and have it back to me by COB today?)