• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY2018 O-4 Board

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure there is a billet for any 1310/1320 on a cruiser somewhere.......whether it gets filled depends on how desperate someone is.....

Hey bro those are DH billets... I'm sure them having to qualify OOD and TAO will make them competitive for O-5 though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Can we keep it to unfounded rumors and conjecture about this year's board results, please?

Thanks.

Fine, the 5% reduction in opportunity is going to come from the aviation side of the house because SWO, SUB and SEAL/EOD are undermanned... that's going to translate into about a 10-15% reduction for pilot/NFO selection rates with a fairly decent chunk of the pilots getting picked up dropping their letters so ther can get out at the MSR which falls after the board (like previous years), so they'll pin and bail to a major airline of their choice leaving more slots open to pick up above zone next year.

Don't worry though, if you FOSx2 as a pilot you can leave the Navy on a Friday and be in indoc at your first company in your civilian flying career the following Monday (I've seen it happen).

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Fine, the 5% reduction in opportunity is going to come from the aviation side of the house because SWO, SUB and SEAL/EOD are undermanned... that's going to translate into about a 10-15% reduction for pilot/NFO selection rates with a fairly decent chunk of the pilots getting picked up dropping their letters so ther can get out at the MSR which falls after the board (like previous years), so they'll pin and bail to a major airline of their choice leaving more slots open to pick up above zone next year.

Don't worry though, if you FOSx2 as a pilot you can leave the Navy on a Friday and be in indoc at your first company in your civilian flying career the following Monday (I've seen it happen).

That's more like it!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the results move at the same pace as last year September 12 is our target date.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
I wonder who updates that tracker. I like to imagine it's some O-3 who's hinge just told him/her to "make some shit up every week or so."

Makes more sense that way.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wonder who updates that tracker. I like to imagine it's some O-3 who's hinge just told him/her to "make some shit up every week or so."

Makes more sense that way.

I'm not saying it's an OCM, but as an aside... I've known several guys who have gone on to be the Assistant to the FTS OCM and will see their name on stuff that's been posted. Sometimes it can be helpful when I see their name in the document creation properties because I can just say, "Oh, Banjo wrote this. Why don't I just call him and ask my question rather than wading through more BUPERS pages..."

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm not saying it's an OCM, but as an aside... I've known several guys who have gone on to be the Assistant to the FTS OCM and will see their name on stuff that's been posted. Sometimes it can be helpful when I see their name in the document creation properties because I can just say, "Oh, Banjo wrote this. Why don't I just call him and ask my question rather than wading through more BUPERS pages..."
Never heard of a callsign "Banjo" . . . . . pretty cool. Is there some movie reference from Deliverance ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It may have been. To be honest, I don't think I ever heard the background...and I just don't know the movie well enough to put the pieces together if it was.

NUFO06

None
Speculation time. Any thoughts on the correlation between the blood bath at the O-5 board and what that might mean for the O-4 results?

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
didn't realize there was a bloodbath on the O-5 board

I know some guys didn't pick up that were on the right path, and there were some below-zone selects, but I didn't realize there was a bloodbath, either.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Speculation time. Any thoughts on the correlation between the blood bath at the O-5 board and what that might mean for the O-4 results?

They already posted reduced opportunity for selection to O-4.

I think those that resign after getting selected for O-4 won't have to worry about a bloodbath for AD O-5 ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They already posted reduced opportunity for selection to O-4.

I think those that resign after getting selected for O-4 won't have to worry about a bloodbath for AD O-5 ;)

reduced opportunity to get selected for O-4 or reduced opportunity for BUPERS to select qualified candidates for O-4. Seems like there is a pretty present and real shortage of people sticking around for DH orders based on the last board vs people actually taking this year. Pretty big percentage of this year's DH selects had already dropped letters. Saying O-4 is competitive right now seems a little unrealistic....