• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY18 O-5 results

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he means that if you are already over 20 years because of prior, enlisted service, then you have to retire after 7 months of notification of your 2 x FOS.

That's exactly what he says, reading comprehension fail.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
To be clear, the Navy has had a policy/rule/reg as long as I have been in that allows FOSX2 O-4's get to 20 to retire but the law allows services to admin sep FOSX2 O-4's and some actually do. A couple of years ago the USAF did one of its wholesale cuts to manning and depending on the designator manning levels at the time they sep'd some O-4's in fields that were at or above manning levels.

I remember this, and the morale consequence within USAF was dramatic, at least from talking to my USAF brethren. And you're correct, it's current policy that can change with the stroke of a pen (i.e. congressional action not required). I've had to explain that to other LT/O-4s before who weren't aware there's an actual continuation policy. I think the Navy would be fairly stupid to do something like that, but that hasn't stopped them from shenanigans before.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be clear, the Navy has had a policy/rule/reg as long as I have been in that allows FOSX2 O-4's get to 20 to retire but the law allows services to admin sep FOSX2 O-4's and some actually do. A couple of years ago the USAF did one of its wholesale cuts to manning and depending on the designator manning levels at the time they sep'd some O-4's in fields that were at or above manning levels. A couple of folks I work with were sweating it a bit to see if their designators and YG's were going to be one of those under the knife. I think the Army has done the same from time to time depending on whether they need the bodies or not.
Yep. Know an AF dude that happened to. Part of the problem, as I understand it, is that the AF is so below-zone-happy on their promotions that people could FOSx2 for O-5 before being in sanctuary.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Traditionally I've always heard everyone in leadership say that if you're an Operational DH, you'll make O-5... with OP-T it was always a pipe dream.

Just to clarify- we're saying we now have Operarional DHs with EP tickets from the fleet FOS for O-5?

If that's truely the case the question that will soon be making its way through the ready room is "What the fuck is the point of staying in and being a DH then?" Good like to PERS 43 trying to make #s work after folks realize there's a decent chance they're going to get zero reward from big Navy for the pain of being a DH. These board results will likely push folks off the fence, towards getting out.

Again, looking at the Bubba list for VFA, there were 103 eligible FY18 CDR with about 20% of those not picking up O-5. Of those 1 is listed as getting out. I know of 4 or 5 really good dudes with jacked up timing due to sequestration or medical issues, and a few might not have had their high-water O-4 FITREP because they went off and did other things, like getting a Masters before flight school.

I guess we will have to wait and see next year how those guys are treated. I really do hope we fix this broken ass system were guys are FOSed based on issues that are beyond their control or being screwed over because you went off to MIT to get a Masters.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I have no issues sharing my career as an O and the O-5 FOS. This is all post training command.

JO Tour: 12 month #2 EP in an F squadron
106 IP: short tour 18 months, two Fitreps (annual and COC), MP, #1 MP early rotate to Aide Tour
VADM Buss Aide: double tap #1 EPs
14 month PEP Tour Royal Navy : had two 1 of 1 Fitreps. Write ups from RN two star that I worked for, but I'm sure board doesn't see those breaking me out as 1 of 12 O4s. Pulled early for DH Tour and got no joint credit (thanks millington).
DH Tour single seat squadron. (3 guys picked as DHs to same squadron off same board= wtf?) P, MP, #1MP, short 4 month #2 EP.

I told my front office late in my MO Tour that I had no interest in command. Combination of age and not wanting to go back to sea. They were trying to figure out how to unfuck 3 DHs showing up all within a year of each other. I've asked several people in Millington and first CO at DH Tour why 3 guys off 1 board and no one had or would answer. First guy left with a short #1 (made O5, not command). Second guy to show up was the most junior guy, 1 YG junior. Plan was to give him a 9 month #1, me a 3 month #1 then extend my DH Tour to get me a long enough ticket for CO. Problem was (per the detailers) that wouldn't get the junior guy (awesome dude by the way) a CO ticket as this year had a ton of VFA 12 month+ #1s and they thought he would move up to current FY18 board (oh, that didn't happen either). With me bowing out of command, they decided to double tap him #1 and give me a #2 EP (Long story but squadron ended up with 6 O4s on the books for the last Fitreps) Guys in Milligton worked this plan with our front office assuring everyone that it would get him a CO ticket and me the O5 ticket.

End result was that the double tap #1 DH picked up O5 BZ and I did not IZ. The BZ pick up for him, I think, was awesome. Like I said earlier, I think it's about time we reward outstanding performers. For whatever reason, for better or worse, this years board changed. What worked in the past to get guys to O5 obviously didn't work this year. If this is the new precedent, hopefully conversations will be had between front offices, detailers and JOs about to make the decision wether or not to continue to DH and beyond. If guys know their odds up front and have their eyes wide open, then so be it. However, if the bureau guys/front offices don't have that realistic conversation with guys, then shame on them.

Oh, Cozumel was awesome and Costa Maya was a dump.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
More news from Millington.

PERs 43 had 30+ fewer O5 selects this year than the last several years. 21 of those were VFA types.

VFA specific. All Op DHs with any length #1 EP selected for O5.
Of the 21 non selects 16 were #2 EPs, 5 were MPs that did not have high water Fitreps due to timing.
Of the 16 #2 non selects, they can't determine why those did not select. Ticket length was not a factor as some very short #2s selected were as some long 11+ month 2EPs did not.

He basically told me they had no clue why I and the other non selects did not select vs some who did or vice versa. There is no smoking gun. He also said historically those who did not select this year would have in previous years.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Isn't that the standard answer?

Yes. This sounds exactly like the explanation of the O-4 results from FY15. The theory on that was that it was due to the glut of accessions for those years. However, this O-5 board is still guys senior to them, so maybe they took in too many O-4s and what we really saw in FY15 was a correction?

It's all (mostly) blind guesses and PERS mind games at this point. Bottom line, if you aren't going to get even a competitive #1 short EP on your DH tour, start planning for being a terminal O-4...

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
It's all (mostly) blind guesses and PERS mind games at this point. Bottom line, if you aren't going to get even a competitive #1 short EP on your DH tour, start planning for being a terminal O-4...

So that begs the question, Will JO's and junior O4s stay in for a DH tour, or bail and head for the airlines or other non Navy route? Will be interesting to see what happens on next years take rate and DH slate.

For those on the forum in this position, what are you guys thinking? Do you roll the dice or not?

sickboy

pilot
I'm leaning towards trying to stay in for DH, but I'm not ignoring my options. That might change by the time I'm out of orange and white though.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VFA specific. All Op DHs with any length #1 EP selected for O5.
Of the 21 non selects 16 were #2 EPs, 5 were MPs that did not have high water Fitreps due to timing.
Of the 16 #2 non selects, they can't determine why those did not select. Ticket length was not a factor as some very short #2s selected were as some long 11+ month 2EPs did not.

Just curious, any info on how many #2 EPs got selected for O-5?