• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY18 O-5 results

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Just talked to the VFA O4 detailer. He's been on the phone all day with guys who finished their Operation DH tours with EPs that did not pick up O5. They have no clue what happened. He said they will need a few weeks to crunch the data to figure it out. He said for guys over 20, after your second look if you are not picked up you will be separated 7 months after the second board results are released (just like any other 2xFOS). If you have less than 20, he didn't think it would be a problem for guys to stay in to get to 20.

The "we don't know what happened" sounds just like what they said a couple years ago with the O4 board. Anyway.... "I'm on a boat!" Heading on a Caribbean cruise for the week. Talk to you guys later.

I just started TDY enroute to my DH tour. Reading things like the above is scary. You'd have thought with "the show" and all the dudes getting out, making O-5 wouldn't be getting harder.

Last edited:

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I just started TDY enroute to my DH tour. Reading things like the above is scary.

Don't sweat it. Fours year from now the numbers will be different.

Don't worry about timing. Be lethal in the airplane. Be competent in your ground job. Support the front office's mission goals. Mentor the JO's. Laugh with your fella DH's. Care about your Sailors. Spend time with your family.
Everything else will fall into place. Enjoy being a DH.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I just started TDY enroute to my DH tour. Reading things like the above is scary. You'd have thought with "the show" and all the dudes getting out, making O-5 wouldn't be getting harder.
Purely speculation, but I surmise the implications of the DH culling the last few years on the ACSB and O-5 boards will likely be seen in your turn to bat at those respective birds. The guys who are up to bat now pre-date the purge with respect to manning and timing.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Don't sweat it. Fours year from now the numbers will be different.

Don't worry about timing. Be lethal in the airplane. Be competent in your ground job. Support the front office's mission goals...mentor...laugh....Care about your Sailors. Spend time with your family.....

Sound advice for all officers.

...we have allowed almost all O-4's to get to 20, with pretty much automatic continuation past HYT to retire. ...

That's good to hear, as kicking O-4's out before retirement would be a disaster. Board results already tell us DH is not a guarantee (and with it O-5). Now the Navy starts sending people home before retirement. What reasonable person would stay in? Short of those golden path types that (should be) a lock for DH (and even plenty of them leave). I wouldn't gamble any more of my time with the Navy if there gonna send me packing at year 17 because (continued) poor manpower management.

Oh and by the way, here's your blended retirement/401k/GI bill you can walk away with too. What's the incentive? One more flying tour (if you pickup DH)? The navy wouldn't have enough money to throw at people to stay in past their winging commitment.

exNavyOffRec

I happened to know a person on the list that used to be a SWO-N who failed engineers exam, lost nuke designation, redesignated and just made O-5, it was nice to see as this was a really good officer to serve with.

Congrats to all who made it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "we don't know what happened" sounds just like what they said a couple years ago with the O4 board. Anyway.
It's a fair answer, as PERS-43 doesn't own or have insight into statutory boards.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Traditionally I've always heard everyone in leadership say that if you're an Operational DH, you'll make O-5... with OP-T it was always a pipe dream.

Just to clarify- we're saying we now have Operarional DHs with EP tickets from the fleet FOS for O-5?

If that's truely the case the question that will soon be making its way through the ready room is "What the fuck is the point of staying in and being a DH then?" Good like to PERS 43 trying to make #s work after folks realize there's a decent chance they're going to get zero reward from big Navy for the pain of being a DH. These board results will likely push folks off the fence, towards getting out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Traditionally I've always heard everyone in leadership say that if you're an Operational DH, you'll make O-5... with OP-T it was always a pipe dream.

Just to clarify- we're saying we now have Operarional DHs with EP tickets from the fleet FOS for O-5?

If that's truely the case the question that will soon be making its way through the ready room is "What the fuck is the point of staying in and being a DH then?" Good like to PERS 43 trying to make #s work after folks realize there's a decent chance they're going to get zero reward from big Navy for the pain of being a DH. These board results will likely push folks off the fence, towards getting out.
Just to be clear it's happened before. Happened to buddies of mine.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'll assume the EP DHs who FOSed O-5 were EPs on a competitive FITREP, otherwise some people have a gross misunderstanding of boards/FITREPs.

For a more fine understanding, an individual trait average below the RS cumulative can completely negate a competitive #1 EP. Yes, some RSes have done this, and it sends a very specific message to boards (or boards interpret it a certain way).

I don't know why particular EP DHs FOSed O-5; I'm just offering a possible scenario in the "there's more to the story" category.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This, combined with the airlines insatiable appetite for pilots must be fun for Pers 43 to have to deal with and brief back to the fleet . . . .

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'll assume the EP DHs who FOSed O-5 were EPs on a competitive FITREP, otherwise some people have a gross misunderstanding of boards/FITREPs.

For a more fine understanding, an individual trait average below the RS cumulative can completely negate a competitive #1 EP. Yes, some RSes have done this, and it sends a very specific message to boards (or boards interpret it a certain way).

I don't know why particular EP DHs FOSed O-5; I'm just offering a possible scenario in the "there's more to the story" category.

I don't expect those who FOS'd to dissect their career fitreps in a public discussion to give validation to the results of the board...It doesn't really matter what the more to the story is, it matters about the optics.

The big message that JOs are receiving is there's no really value for them to stay in a being a DH. 10 years ago it wouldn't have contributed to an attrition problem for the Navy, the job market sucked and folks were motivated to stay in for 20 for the job security and the pension. Today, it definitely will- especially on the pilot side of the house.

I'm not sure folks who are still deep into the system understand how easy it is for pilots to get a flying job on the outside these days. Majors take some prep work but literally, if a military pilot (jet, maritime, Helo, whatever) decided to test the waters and publish an application to the regionals at 2330 one evening- they'll have interview invites from most within 24hours, outliers are a week. Other parts of the industry are showing a quick turn around as well.

I posted one application at around 130am and got woken up to a call to conduct a phone interview the following morning...

If the Navy makes it appear overly difficult for folks who are burning themselves out staying on path to succeed, and makes the metric it takes to reach success undefinable, folks will just get out and go somewhere where career progression is easily to understand and they're compensated for their efforts tangibly and stay reserves for the medical and comradery and beer money as well as the pension when they're older.

No bonus amount will matter to most folks if they can't see themselves progressing in their careers and job opportunities are plentiful on the outside.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's good to hear, as kicking O-4's out before retirement would be a disaster....I wouldn't gamble any more of my time with the Navy if there gonna send me packing at year 17 because (continued) poor manpower management...

To be clear, the Navy has had a policy/rule/reg as long as I have been in that allows FOSX2 O-4's get to 20 to retire but the law allows services to admin sep FOSX2 O-4's and some actually do. A couple of years ago the USAF did one of its wholesale cuts to manning and depending on the designator manning levels at the time they sep'd some O-4's in fields that were at or above manning levels. A couple of folks I work with were sweating it a bit to see if their designators and YG's were going to be one of those under the knife. I think the Army has done the same from time to time depending on whether they need the bodies or not.

So long story short, it has been the Navy's policy to let O-4's get to 20 to retire but they could change it if they want to.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So long story short, it has been the Navy's policy to let O-4's get to 20 to retire but they could change it if they want to.
Unless you have prior active duty time and are retirement eligible, then it's 7 months after 2nd FOS....see ya!

robav8r

None
Contributor
From what I have seen the Navy has not done that with O-4's, the standard since I have been in is to let O-4's who FOSX2 to extend until they get retirement. That is what I have been saying in my posts on this thread, do you know something different?
I think he means that if you are already over 20 years because of prior, enlisted service, then you have to retire after 7 months of notification of your 2 x FOS.