• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
Update - after jumping through some hoops to complete my medical readiness I finally got my PQ letter yesterday. This morning my processor emailed my Final Select letter. They said they are just waiting to receive my COMDOCS now. Wow - after all the paperwork, interviews, travel, online postings/research, phone calls and waiting I'm almost there. And this is only the beginning I'm sure.....

hopeful_one

Ok, so my processor emailed and said my COMDOCS came in. My NRD isn't local so he said he would need a few days to prepare them and have them mailed to me. He said I could probably have them by Tuesday and have my officer friend swear me in and sign everything quickly. I was leaning toward doing that so I get all the paperwork in and make it "official". And then I was going to have a more formal commissioning ceremony a week later with my family and friends. However (and maybe you guys can give me some feedback on this) the processor said that my date of rank is already listed as May 20 and it really doesn't matter or make a difference if I do the oath/sign docs next week or in two weeks. So I'm thinking I might just wait and do everything at the formal commissioning ceremony. Can any of you guys shed some light on that? As long as I have my final select and date of rank - swearing in sooner doesn't really change anything does it? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Ok, so my processor emailed and said my COMDOCS came in. My NRD isn't local so he said he would need a few days to prepare them and have them mailed to me. He said I could probably have them by Tuesday and have my officer friend swear me in and sign everything quickly. I was leaning toward doing that so I get all the paperwork in and make it "official". And then I was going to have a more formal commissioning ceremony a week later with my family and friends. However (and maybe you guys can give me some feedback on this) the processor said that my date of rank is already listed as May 20 and it really doesn't matter or make a difference if I do the oath/sign docs next week or in two weeks. So I'm thinking I might just wait and do everything at the formal commissioning ceremony. Can any of you guys shed some light on that? As long as I have my final select and date of rank - swearing in sooner doesn't really change anything does it? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

My comm/docs came in and I drove down the next day to swear in. The date that I swore in is not my date of rank, its the day that was already listed on the documents. My OR said that I had up to 30 days to swear in before the comm/docs would "expire". I'm thinking that you will be fine to wait and swear in at your formal commissioning ceremony. I swore in quickly with my friend who is a Blackhawk pilot and I planned on having a formal ceremony in a few weeks. It's been 10 months now and no formal ceremony to date. A ceremony is not really that important to me but my family would have loved to have one. I figure that I will have my family at my LTJG promotion party and they can get pictures there. IF the ceremony is important to you, do it! You will not regret waiting a few extra days to pin on your bars. You have another 20+ years of commissioned service ahead of you, what's two extra weeks in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck and congratulations!

hopeful_one

My comm/docs came in and I drove down the next day to swear in. The date that I swore in is not my date of rank, its the day that was already listed on the documents. My OR said that I had up to 30 days to swear in before the comm/docs would "expire". I'm thinking that you will be fine to wait and swear in at your formal commissioning ceremony. I swore in quickly with my friend who is a Blackhawk pilot and I planned on having a formal ceremony in a few weeks. It's been 10 months now and no formal ceremony to date. A ceremony is not really that important to me but my family would have loved to have one. I figure that I will have my family at my LTJG promotion party and they can get pictures there. IF the ceremony is important to you, do it! You will not regret waiting a few extra days to pin on your bars. You have another 20+ years of commissioned service ahead of you, what's two extra weeks in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck and congratulations!
Bam Bam - thanks! That helps a lot. I think I will wait and do everything at the formal ceremony. I waited this long so I'm sure I can wait a couple more weeks. On that note if anyone is planning to commission soon and is in the DC/MD area I'm planning to do mine at the National Cryptologic Museum at Fort Meade. If you want to jump in on that and do a joint commission send me a PM. I just want to thank everyone on here for all the advice, stories and knowledge they have shared since I first started putting a package together. I'm not sure I would have made it without the resources I found here. Good luck to everyone planning to put a package in for the next board!

I might talk to your recruiter about when you should commission before you make your final decision. It makes sense that the DOR on your documents is your DOR regardless of when you swear in however, it also doesn't make sense that it is not because even though your docs have that date, you aren't actually serving as an officer yet so how could that time count towards your time in rank? The officers in my unit adamantly insisted that I commission as soon as I could because one of the officers they commissioned with chose to wait for a ceremony and that ended up costing him a whole additional year wait for O-2 and all other subsequent promotions because of the way the officer promotion timelines work. I don't completely understand it yet either but everybody I talked to said the same thing.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I might talk to your recruiter about when you should commission before you make your final decision. It makes sense that the DOR on your documents is your DOR regardless of when you swear in however, it also doesn't make sense that it is not because even though your docs have that date, you aren't actually serving as an officer yet so how could that time count towards your time in rank? The officers in my unit adamantly insisted that I commission as soon as I could because one of the officers they commissioned with chose to wait for a ceremony and that ended up costing him a whole additional year wait for O-2 and all other subsequent promotions because of the way the officer promotion timelines work. I don't completely understand it yet either but everybody I talked to said the same thing.

My DOR in NSIPS and all the BOL applications is the date that is actually on my paperwork and not the day that I took the oath. 02 is two years from your DOR as an 01 and 03 is two years and however many days it takes to get to the first of the next month. Example, If you commissioned on the 15 of Aug 2012, you would pin on 02 on 15 Aug 2014 and 03 on 1 Sep 2016.

bryanteagle6

I missed the March board with a clerical error. I have completed my package and interviews for the September board. This thread and ppl are great! I am doing my physical at MEPS in July before the board. I'm from Ohio - there were only 4 ppl at my interview day and one was from DC for improved chances. I enjoy reading the "experienced" ppl share their process so far. Congrats on your commission and I hope to work with you soon! I just wanted to get in the fight per se - in this thread.

hopeful_one

Update - I finally took my oath this past weekend. I had a commissioning ceremony at the National Cryptologic Museum at Fort Meade. My family came into town. Had a bunch of my officer friends participate in the ceremony too - MC, invocation, swearing in. An IW 0-6 agreed to be a guest speaker too and said a few words. Then my brother (prior enlisted) gave me my first salute and after that my enlisted friend gave the first official salute. It was a pretty cool experience and I'm glad I went through with it. Feels pretty good to finally be a commissioned officer.

EcuaC

All you that have already commissioned, I'm jealous!! I'm still waiting on MEPS or for them to clear my medical with my private physician!!