• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I would not waste money applying unless you have a really good shot at getting picked up. Not to stress anyone out, but this will be the most competitive year that STA-21 has seen thus far. Don't waste money on a bunch of colleges if you don't think you have a solid package.

I'm pretty sure we wouldnt be worried about applying to multiple schools if we weren't sure that our package is competitive. Theres no real way to know if this year is going to be more competitive or not. Yes, there has been a trend of the number of selectees going down but the number of applicants has gone down as well. Plus you have to take into account all the force retirements and retention borads that have all happened in the past year. So unless you are the Commander of Navy Manpower or some other type of flag officer that makes these decisions, theres really no way to tell.

exNavyOffRec

I'm pretty sure we wouldnt be worried about applying to multiple schools if we weren't sure that our package is competitive. Theres no real way to know if this year is going to be more competitive or not. Yes, there has been a trend of the number of selectees going down but the number of applicants has gone down as well. Plus you have to take into account all the force retirements and retention borads that have all happened in the past year. So unless you are the Commander of Navy Manpower or some other type of flag officer that makes these decisions, theres really no way to tell.

Several years ago I had a sailor picked selected for STA-21, but he had to scramble to find a college to accept him because he was "sure" his hometown college would take him, so he didn't apply anywhere else.

The numbers should remain about the same from last year to this year given the future of the manning, but like you said the number of applicants is a variable, it will be interesting to see if it truly does go down, and if so by how much.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
The numbers should remain about the same from last year to this year given the future of the manning, but like you said the number of applicants is a variable, it will be interesting to see if it truly does go down, and if so by how much.

I would ask "How much lower could it possibly go?", but that would be a dumb question. 1 selection each, or none.

exNavyOffRec

I would ask "How much lower could it possibly go?", but that would be a dumb question. 1 selection each, or none.

Given how things have gone my feeling is if there is a decrease it will be minimal, if you look at how we get out officers you have long term and short term, long term is USNA and NROTC as both are about 4 years out, short term is OCS, in the recent years short term had a dropoff a few years ago, and has essentially stabalized, you can also look at the overal force structure of the USN, we are decreasing Seabee numbers and the number of ships isn't jumping up.

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
Even if overall numbers don't change this year, I'm hoping they aren't so nuke-heavy (sorry nukes). Hoping Specwar gets more than 1 slot this year. Since they had such a large influx of nukes for FY12 then maybe it will even out and the other options will get a little more love this year.

exNavyOffRec

Even if overall numbers don't change this year, I'm hoping they aren't so nuke-heavy (sorry nukes). Hoping Specwar gets more than 1 slot this year. Since they had such a large influx of nukes for FY12 then maybe it will even out and the other options will get a little more love this year.

It is always nuke heavy, the reason is nukes and pilots have the most medical restrictions, if a person starts as a nuke or pilot and something medically DQ's them they can slide into something else, selecting all those nukes ensures the end result will be accomplished.

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
It is always nuke heavy, the reason is nukes and pilots have the most medical restrictions, if a person starts as a nuke or pilot and something medically DQ's them they can slide into something else, selecting all those nukes ensures the end result will be accomplished.
Last year was definitely much heavier on nukes than usual. FY10 nukes got 20% of the overall slots, FY11 it rose to 26%, last year it was 47%. Definitely an unusually large portion of the spots, even for nukes. I'd be really surprised if they get the same or higher percentage this year. But as we all know, nobody can know for sure until October. Tick tock...

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Last year was definitely much heavier on nukes than usual. FY10 nukes got 20% of the overall slots, FY11 it rose to 26%, last year it was 47%. Definitely an unusually large portion of the spots, even for nukes. I'd be really surprised if they get the same or higher percentage this year. But as we all know, nobody can know for sure until October. Tick tock...

Nukes will always have more spots, and will probably still make almost half of the selections. Nukes are already expensive, and for Nuke officers the requirements for them to get in are strict. What better way to get a nuke officer than to recruit individuals who have the potential to make it through all the degree requirements? Lucky turds. Not to say they don't deserve it or anything.

I am hoping with the p-8s coming out, they are looking for a lot of new JOs to train for Pilot and NFO.

exNavyOffRec

Don't look at overall percentage look at individual numbers, overall percentage can be misleading, if the overall numbers go up say for core, then the overall percentage of nukes will drop if their numbers stay the same, but if the numbers for nukes stay the same then x number of selections is still x number of selections.

If you are looking at what gives the best shot at getting picked up look at the number of spots and number qualified, of course what it doesn't say is how many they deemed not qualified for a specific designator.

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Did you hear from somebody "official" that this year was going to be the most competitive year, or are you just gauging from what seems to be almost common sense seeing how the trend has been? I assume its going to be slimmer this year also.

I am just saying this year will be very competitive. I don't pass along unverified rumors, that is just my opinion.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Ok, breaking away from the topic.

What is up with the "Ratings Received" stats bar? The message counter is cool though.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Popo ... Is your picture a Corvette or an RX-7 ?? I think I walked right by you going into the NEX the other day. You have the only car with that same color paint.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is up with the "Ratings Received" stats bar? The message counter is cool though.

What's up is just what it says: A compilation of all ratings given to your posts in 9 catagories, ranging from thumbs up/down, agree/disagree, funny, informative, bad gouge, & dumb... since you became an AW member (only one can be 'awarded' per post). The column to the right is the same compilation of ratings you have been 'awarded' by others, in the same 8 catagories.:)

*CAUTION: If you try to award your own post any POSITIVE rating, your CRT screen will implode & your CPU turn to butter!:eek:
BzB

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
What's up is just what it says: A compilation of all ratings given to your posts in 9 catagories, ranging from thumbs up/down, agree/disagree, funny, informative, bad gouge, & dumb... since you became an AW member (only one can be 'awarded' per post). The column to the right is the same compilation of ratings you have been 'awarded' by others, in the same 8 catagories.:)

*CAUTION: If you try to award your own post any POSITIVE rating, your CRT screen will implode & your CPU turn to butter!:eek:
BzB

I just noticed those buttons on the bottom left. Nice. That could be useful. Kind of like a scarlet letter.