• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

k_smittay

Out of the horses mouth-

Forget the OPNAVINST 1420.1A it is under rewrite. Age 29 is the correct age and you must graduate before you turn 29.

v/r
Ed Straten

I guess that is that.

StillAlive

Yeah, I emailed Ed and he told me the same. You'd figure they would broadcast it better the fact that 1420 isn't 100% true. Considering I am basing my package word for word per the instruction.

k_smittay

Yeah, I emailed Ed and he told me the same. You'd figure they would broadcast it better the fact that 1420 isn't 100% true. Considering I am basing my package word for word per the instruction.

Tis the Navy way. Never rely on one source of info. Trust me I wish the instruction would have been true, because I lose a semester of college with the 29 year old max.

StillAlive

Well I got my ASTB scores back after one day short of a month. But what I have been reading in this site, I shouldn't post my scores. I just want to say that studying the ARCO --> & <-- the marine gouge was a great start for me...especially for studying for a week and taking it only once. Thanks to all who started this web forum!

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Well I got my ASTB scores back after one day short of a month. But what I have been reading in this site, I shouldn't post my scores. I just want to say that studying the ARCO --> & <-- the marine gouge was a great start for me...especially for studying for a week and taking it only once. Thanks to all who started this web forum!

StillAlive, to help you out:
"When once you have tasted flight; you will walk the earth, forever more, with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you long to return."
[SIZE=-1]Leonardo da Vinci

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]a great quote[/SIZE][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Comic, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

StillAlive

Is anyone apart of the CVW-8, CSG-2, or CDS-22 that is out right now on CQs? I'm just curious since our underway schedule how other commands will be handling their interview portions of the package.

KyleKremser

First time Package! Please Help!

Hello, this is my first time writing on this site and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right so if I'm not please let me know! I am applying for FY09, this is my first time, and I have a few very important questions so if anyone can help me at all I would be most appreciative! Here is my scenario. I am an ET3 submarines radio operator. I have been in the Navy for about 2 and a half years. When I first arrived at submarine school after boot camp, I had a severe knee injury which required two seperate surgeries. I spent almost a year and a half on Limdu. During my limdu period I was stationed at SSEP and NSSF. While stationed there I was able to qualify 3M 301, QA 301, along with two E5 and above watch stations. While at NSSF I was an instrumental part of the 51G internal communication and navigation equipment repair shop. I recieved an MP and an EP for my first ever rated elvals in the Navy. I worked very hard and ended up rehabilitating my knee back to 100% to score an excellent high on my fall 07 PRT. So as you can see I have no sea time, and I've been told by many officers and other STA-21 candidates that this will not matter. I have LOR's from my chief, a senior chief, a master chief, a warrent officer (div-o), an 0-3 LDO (div-o), an 0-3 (div-o), at least one maybe two if i'm lucky 0-5's and a connecticut senator. I was wondering if this is two many LOR's or that because of my lack of sea time more LOR's would be better? How much does the rank of the Officer writing the LOR matter? I was also wondering should I include college award letters, high school award letters and such due to the fact I have no Naval awards? and Is there anything else I can do besides making my Personal Statement as strong as possible to better help me reach my goal? I am applying for the SWO program with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Any advice at all for my situation would be greatly appreciated!

53Crewman

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Alternate
StillAlive,

I am not a part of those commands but I do leave on a six month Det Tuesday. This is my second package and I just completed my in-house boards today (which went much better than last years). Although it would be possible to complete my package detached, Id rather not mess with it. I (re) started my package in November and set everything up to be done by April 1st. So far so good...

I dont know who said not to post ASTB but it shouldnt be an issue. I got all 5's and a 1100 on my SATs. Although these numbers do play a role in selection, if they are not astronomically high, its not what is going to get your foot into the door. From the friends that have gotten picked up (3 total) to the information from P-cola and this site, its a solid endorsement from your skipper, chain of command, and a personal statement that sells yourself. If its guoge and help you want, you came to the right place. Welcome all!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Hello, this is my first time writing on this site and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right so if I'm not please let me know! I am applying for FY09, this is my first time, and I have a few very important questions so if anyone can help me at all I would be most appreciative! Here is my scenario. I am an ET3 submarines radio operator. I have been in the Navy for about 2 and a half years. When I first arrived at submarine school after boot camp, I had a severe knee injury which required two seperate surgeries. I spent almost a year and a half on Limdu. During my limdu period I was stationed at SSEP and NSSF. While stationed there I was able to qualify 3M 301, QA 301, along with two E5 and above watch stations. While at NSSF I was an instrumental part of the 51G internal communication and navigation equipment repair shop. I recieved an MP and an EP for my first ever rated elvals in the Navy. I worked very hard and ended up rehabilitating my knee back to 100% to score an excellent high on my fall 07 PRT. So as you can see I have no sea time, and I've been told by many officers and other STA-21 candidates that this will not matter. I have LOR's from my chief, a senior chief, a master chief, a warrent officer (div-o), an 0-3 LDO (div-o), an 0-3 (div-o), at least one maybe two if i'm lucky 0-5's and a connecticut senator. I was wondering if this is two many LOR's or that because of my lack of sea time more LOR's would be better? How much does the rank of the Officer writing the LOR matter? I was also wondering should I include college award letters, high school award letters and such due to the fact I have no Naval awards? and Is there anything else I can do besides making my Personal Statement as strong as possible to better help me reach my goal? I am applying for the SWO program with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Any advice at all for my situation would be greatly appreciated!

1) You can include as many LOR's as you like and the ranks of those writing them don't matter all that much, HOWEVER, don't bother including those written by officers/chiefs that aren't in your direct chain of command because they can't vouch for you as a sailor and potential officer the same way as those who have lead and observed you already. When I applied last year (1st and only time) I included 4 LOR's, 2 from O-4's and 2 from O-3's. The O-4's were my past and present Dept. heads and the O-3's were my past and present Divo's.

2) Don't bother including college and high school awards in your application package because they will carry no weight with the board and may actually hurt you because they aren't supposed to be there.

3) Besides a strong personal statement, make sure that your test scores are competitive (meaning don't settle for 1000 on the SAT) and verify that your grades are all correct on any college transcripts you submit. Also go through your SMART transcript with a fine tooth comb and make sure that it has documented every military course credit you're eligible for...

Best of luck to you! I'm up @ Newport now going through BOOST and having a blast! :D

haubby

None
Contributor
2) Don't bother including college and high school awards in your application package because they will carry no weight with the board and may actually hurt you because they aren't supposed to be there.

Not so fast there Dave. Seeing how he doesn't have that much time in service, the majority of which were probably in A and C school, having such achievements that prove any sort of leadership prior to enlisting can only help him. No one can vouch for the board but if they indicate any leadership or academic potential, I would say by all means label them an enclosure and send them off to Pcola. I labeled my Eagle Scout certificate as an enclosure to the overall package and I earned that over nine years ago.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
1) You can include as many LOR's as you like and the ranks of those writing them don't matter all that much, HOWEVER, don't bother including those written by officers/chiefs that aren't in your direct chain of command because they can't vouch for you as a sailor and potential officer the same way as those who have lead and observed you already. When I applied last year (1st and only time) I included 4 LOR's, 2 from O-4's and 2 from O-3's. The O-4's were my past and present Dept. heads and the O-3's were my past and present Divo's.

3) Besides a strong personal statement, make sure that your test scores are competitive (meaning don't settle for 1000 on the SAT) and verify that your grades are all correct on any college transcripts you submit. Also go through your SMART transcript with a fine tooth comb and make sure that it has documented every military course credit you're eligible for...

Best of luck to you! I'm up @ Newport now going through BOOST and having a blast! :D

Are you guys still standing watches in King Hall?

53Crewman

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Alternate
Straight from the instruction:

"Additional documents such as award citations, qualifications, and letters of recommendation or appreciation. Copies of Page 4 and Page 7 of the member's service record may be included as additional documentation. Applicants are encouraged to include other documents that demonstrate leadership qualities while involved in extracurricular activities/volunteer work. Sailors who are junior in the Navy may want to include awards and certificates earned in high school."

-OPNAVINST 1420.1A Chapter 8 pg. 9 #11

KyleKremser

Thanks for answering my questions, the main things I wanted to include in the awards section was my college scholarship letter, and a few other academic achievements. As for my LOR's I am only including letters from people I directly worked for. Thanks for all the help!:)