• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Were most of you able to get into the school of your choice? The only reason someone wouldn't get their first choice would be if the unit is full, right? Should I call the unit and ask about available spots and how fast they fill up?

Being I'm not selected yet, when would be the best time to enroll at the school and start the paperwork? I'm already talking to Kansas University (Engineering Department) about my degree, the requirements and a possible degree outline. Since I know the degree I want is possible, should I wait until the results come out to make anything official?

It seems like I'm the only one asking questions but I'm sure everybody's advice is helping lots of others. Thanks!! The advice on here is by far more helpful than anyone or anything I've come across.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Were most of you able to get into the school of your choice? The only reason someone wouldn't get their first choice would be if the unit is full, right? Should I call the unit and ask about available spots and how fast they fill up?

From what I understand, most units have plenty of space to fill up. Getting a spot should not be difficult at your University of choice.

Being I'm not selected yet, when would be the best time to enroll at the school and start the paperwork? I'm already talking to Kansas University (Engineering Department) about my degree, the requirements and a possible degree outline. Since I know the degree I want is possible, should I wait until the results come out to make anything official?

I started all of the University applications after I was selected. Right now, the best place to put your focus is on gathering documents required for the package; setting up the ASTB (assuming you're going Pilot/NFO); taking the ACT or SAT; acquire LORs from prior COs and/or XOs as well as a Chief that you've served under; fine-tuning your personal statement, and ensuring your STA-21 package is all nice, neat, and in accordance with the Navy admin manuals - an Admin Officer is who helped to get mine assembled properly.

Now is also a time to begin thinking about your interview boards and getting your flight physical done(again, for Pilot/NFO option).

It seems like I'm the only one asking questions but I'm sure everybody's advice is helping lots of others. Thanks!! The advice on here is by far more helpful than anyone or anything I've come across.

I highly recommend the search function as well - look at posts going all the way back to the beginning under the Enlisted Communications Forum - there's TONS of good gouge.

Good Luck and Godspeed!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU

You can always apply now and if you get accepted just defer your acceptance for a year. That's what I did so I had my acceptance letter in hand long before the selection results came out, but the advantage it gave me is that as soon as I knew I was selected I mailed out my acceptance letter to guarantee myself a spot at my school of choice!

I also agree about getting your physical knocked out prior to submitting your application, especially if you are going Pilot/NFO!!

k_smittay

Here is the secret to getting the school of your choice...

Only submit one acceptance letter to whatever school you fancy.

No brainer.

I would have a back-up acceptance letter and degree plan at the house just in-case you get a call from p-cole saying you can't go there, but.. I havent heard of anyone not getting their choice of schools.

Also, get a SNA physical before you apply for the program. Do it the same calendar year of your application and it will transfer over. The HIV test will still be valid as well and will save you some time.

StillAlive

So I have taken my ACT for the first time since high school and received a 28 on it. I do not know all of the breakdowns for the 4 sections because I am currently at sea for the time being. So my question is what makes a competitive score? I know the minimum is 20/21 (math/verb), and I tried to perform a search for ACT scores, but the search engine would not allow such a search. Everyone says to study and do well, as the scores do matter, but again, I haven't seen anyone post scores.

haubby

None
Contributor
Its been my perception that the ACT/SAT scores are just a wicket for you to make in order to gain acceptance in the program. I scored a 24 on the ACT but my math score was the minimum 21 and I'm in the program. Keep in mind that your scores will also be looked at by colleges when it comes time for you to apply to them. So the better you do, the easier it will be to gain acceptance to the college of your choice. Hope that helps.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
So I have taken my ACT for the first time since high school and received a 28 on it. I do not know all of the breakdowns for the 4 sections because I am currently at sea for the time being. So my question is what makes a competitive score? I know the minimum is 20/21 (math/verb), and I tried to perform a search for ACT scores, but the search engine would not allow such a search. Everyone says to study and do well, as the scores do matter, but again, I haven't seen anyone post scores.

Good job on the scores, you did higher than me. Have you taken the ASTB yet? I'm waiting for my test to arrive at my CCC's office so I can get it over with. I'm nervous as hell!! Let me know how your package is coming along. If everything goes well we might be in Newport this time next year.

BOCOD

You do need to ask for the age waiver in your personal statement because the instruction says so. ACT scores dont mean crap because I got selected and had a 21.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I am confused about the age waiver. There are mixed suggestions concerning how to handle it (request it or not). I appreciate all the input and will take it all into consideration as I finish compiling my package. Being there are two different options mentioned I think I will call Pensacola and confirm which they prefer. Once I find out I will let everybody know.

k_smittay

I am confused about the age waiver. There are mixed suggestions concerning how to handle it (request it or not). I appreciate all the input and will take it all into consideration as I finish compiling my package. Being there are two different options mentioned I think I will call Pensacola and confirm which they prefer. Once I find out I will let everybody know.

When I talked to Ed Straten before I applied I asked him about the age waiver, he said to not worry about it as long as you can graduate by age 29. He said it is automatic if you have 2 yrs service. I did not "request" it in my package and here I am. Just ensure you can graduate by 29. They don't budge on that at all.

StillAlive

Has anyone heard of enlisted personnel getting picked up for Pilot after the age of 29? I keep hearing on this forum "29" as the age limit for Pilot, but straight out of the instruction it states:
"Age. STA-21 Pilot Option candidates must be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to their 27th birthday. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to the 31st birthday with active duty or prior active duty service computed on a month-for-month basis." - OPNAV 1402.1A, Ch. 8, Sect. 2, Para. 3.b​

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Has anyone heard of enlisted personnel getting picked up for Pilot after the age of 29? I keep hearing on this forum "29" as the age limit for Pilot, but straight out of the instruction it states:
"Age. STA-21 Pilot Option candidates must be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to their 27th birthday. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to the 31st birthday with active duty or prior active duty service computed on a month-for-month basis." - OPNAV 1402.1A, Ch. 8, Sect. 2, Para. 3.b​

As a pilot option are you able to finish a degree and commission prior to your 27th birthday? If not they can waiver upward to the 31st (provided they feel like it, and you meet the requirements of the MILPERS instruction referenced in the 1420). You also have to factor in the time for NSI, and whether or not the individual needs BOOST.
Example: You've just turned 28/ need the full 3 years to complete and commission. (Add time of NSI/BOOST probably won't waiver)
Example: You've just turned 29 and need 1 year to complete and commission. (Probably get the waiver)

To answer your question. Yes I have seen people get picked up at 29, but they were pretty close to degree completion. Just make sure to read all the references in the instruction of the program you are applying for. maybe even include in your statement that degree completion won't be a problem, because you have X amount of credits