• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

hogfan1010

Hey Again

I'm going to CU! I can't wait i am so pumped. I talked to an OC who is there right now. He said it was cool the only downside being that we have to do two extra drills a week and clean up after basketball and football game. I can deal with that to be in outdoor paradise. Let me know if you have any questions.

I was accepted in to CU, and I was pumped as well. I talked with another OC and didn't get such a good vib from her. Now I am torn! I am pretty much leaving it up to my wife. Do you know who you talked to?

haubby

None
Contributor
I was accepted in to CU, and I was pumped as well. I talked with another OC and didn't get such a good vib from her. Now I am torn! I am pretty much leaving it up to my wife. Do you know who you talked to?

I really wouldn't hold too much weight on what one OC says about his/her unit. Experiences will vary but in the end the its all pretty much the same. If you want to go to CU, go to CU and enjoy college life. The games don't end once you enter STA-21 and get to your ROTC unit. In the end its a sweet deal no matter how you look at it.

hogfan1010

I really wouldn't hold too much weight on what one OC says about his/her unit. Experiences will vary but in the end the its all pretty much the same. If you want to go to CU, go to CU and enjoy college life. The games don't end once you enter STA-21 and get to your ROTC unit. In the end its a sweet deal no matter how you look at it.

That is true. I guess 8 years in the Military, I am used to putting up with BS.

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
Warning about CU

I too was looking at CU.....talked to a OC who grad this last may...said that it is a high school ran org that has no respect for OC's. He also said if he could go back and do it again that he would never go to CU and he would of done his research to find a NROTC that respects the prior enlisted. Honestly he made it sound horrible....said he loved living in Colorado though...just not worth the BS of the ROTC unit. Dont know if that helped but was only a few steps away from CU being my choice and being done with the process and only a 20 min conversation with him totally changed my mind. Hope I helped someone out....I know that this is all about getting a degree and moving on...but why spend this next 3 years at a place that has no respect for what you have done for the last 9 (or however many years of service).

tribeach1184

CU Buffalo
I understand about all the bs and am fully aware but I think the environment as a whole is worth the hassle, but different people have differing opinions. I honestly will not change my mind, but if you don't want to deal with all the side drama then maybe you should go elsewhere. I am just grateful to have this opportunity.

Stick

pilot
I too was looking at CU.....talked to a OC who grad this last may...said that it is a high school ran org that has no respect for OC's. He also said if he could go back and do it again that he would never go to CU and he would of done his research to find a NROTC that respects the prior enlisted. Honestly he made it sound horrible....said he loved living in Colorado though...just not worth the BS of the ROTC unit. Dont know if that helped but was only a few steps away from CU being my choice and being done with the process and only a 20 min conversation with him totally changed my mind. Hope I helped someone out....I know that this is all about getting a degree and moving on...but why spend this next 3 years at a place that has no respect for what you have done for the last 9 (or however many years of service).

Guess what, you are NUB all over again so suck it up and play the game. Each ROTC unit is what YOU make of it. No one cares where you came from or what you did in your previous life. The only use of your prior experience will be to help mold the MIDN into good officers someday. You will also get more experience at leadership and mentoring from this opportunity. Don't bitch about getting respect just because you have some time on the pond. Earn that respect. Just remember, there is a shitbag in every organization and if you don't know who it is in yours, then it is most likely you. Loose the big ego you have because being in the ROTC unit will be a humbling experience. Once you demonstrate that you are a good leader and mentor then the respect will come. I do agree that you deserve some very small amount of respect because you have put in some time, but remember you are equals with the MIDN so don't treat them like you are better than they are. Anyone who thinks they are better than someone else is a fool and I would not want them in my workplace. I am not directing hostility at you unless you already have a big head and think you deserve respect just because.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
+1 Stick. I was in a similar conversation with an OC that made it last year that felt he was on a box. After we both calmed down, we both apologized for being childish, but he did say something that should be remembered. We have to shed that "being enlisted" way of thinking. Yes, we should get some respect for going that route because it is a very competative program, but we are going to be Officer Candidates and not longer enlisted. Refer back to what you learned as an enlisted sailor to help mold you and others into better officers, but don't expect something because you have been there before. I really think that we should all take that and run with it because learning the ropes of what your future junior sailors are going through will help you to understand there mentality. Not saying that someone that came in from the Academy or any other MIDN will not be a better officer than one coming from the enlisted side because like Stick said there is always assbags in every part of the military enlisted or officer.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
jbuck and crbnsooner5574,

How long did it take for your assigned box to be checked after the last of your paperwork was turned in? I just got the confirmation email from Ed today that he received my degree plan and acceptance letter (physical is already done). Curious how long it takes to actually be assigned to the ROTC unit.

Also, anybody currently attending or plan on attending the University of Kansas? I've already talked to a OC and a LT that are there about ROTC life, sounds great. There aren't many people who want to go to Kansas except those of us that are from there.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
It took about two days. He sent me the confirmation email to say that he had received both of them, and about two days later I checked back and I had a check in the box. It is just him reviewing the degree plan to see that you are going to be able to graduate in the required timeframe, and seeing that the college accepted you. It isn't a big deal. If you are approved physically then you have no problem at all.

hogfan1010

Wow!

Ok, the original post was just about CU and what someone thought about it. Not about all the respect and treating other OC's a certain way, or even about EGOs. Thanks for all the info though. I'm sure most of us know how to gain respect if we are selected into this program.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Yeah, I know better than anyone how fast a little topic can get way out of hand. Everything gets blown out of proportion one way or another, but usually everyone makes up. I know the guys that I have had arguements with are cool with me now as I am with them. Usually it takes a big disagreement to become good friends. I think we are all just anxious to get to Newport and get started. That beer is going to be so well deserved by the time we get there.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
It took about two days. He sent me the confirmation email to say that he had received both of them, and about two days later I checked back and I had a check in the box. It is just him reviewing the degree plan to see that you are going to be able to graduate in the required timeframe, and seeing that the college accepted you. It isn't a big deal. If you are approved physically then you have no problem at all.

Thanks for the quick response. I will check back the middle of next week.

Put my name on that list for a beer the weekend prior to starting class. I'm going to try and make it either Friday night or Sat morning. Right now I'm just trying to ensure everything gets done before transferring. I filled out my special request chit today for house hunting leave in Jan. As soon as I get back from that I will start my 30 day transfer leave period. With the holidays right around the corner work is pretty much non-existent. I show up and count down the hours until I can leave. It's hard to control aircraft when all the pilots are on leave, ha!! And I have to/want to be one of THEM!

Stick

pilot
Ok, the original post was just about CU and what someone thought about it. Not about all the respect and treating other OC's a certain way, or even about EGOs. Thanks for all the info though. I'm sure most of us know how to gain respect if we are selected into this program.

You will understand in due time why I said what I did. When you get to NSI you will start to see it, and then at your ROTC unit it will manifest itself even more. Some people need to be humbled, some just don't understand the opportunity they have been given, and some just need to grow up and get over themselves. Just wait.:)

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
I think from talking to O's on here like Bevo and others. I really think that I learned valuable lessons from those guys before I even start my journey. I was humbled in more ways I can think of and I am going into this with an open mind and a shut mouth. I really think that is my hardest challenge is trying to hold my tongue when I so badly want to say something, but I will learn that soon enough. Hopefully I only have 57 days until I leave whidbey island. It is so damn windy up here tonight. AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
Hmmmm....

You will understand in due time why I said what I did. When you get to NSI you will start to see it, and then at your ROTC unit it will manifest itself even more. Some people need to be humbled, some just don't understand the opportunity they have been given, and some just need to grow up and get over themselves. Just wait.:)

Seeing as how I have talked to you on the phone...I figure you of all people would know that I am not going into this with a big head...just want a ROTC unit that realizes that they dont have to babysit me and get my degree and get out of there. If I offended anyone I guess you can either realize I didnt mean it that way or get over it. Just wanted to pass on the sincere remarks of a OC now 0-1 that went to CU. He just wanted to make sure that I knew I was getting thrown in a ROTC that seemed to treat MIDS and OC's like they were in highschool. ANYWAYS...I am down for a beer Sat night...ive been doing PT on rocks and in my underwear outside to get used to the cold and rough PT conditions of Rhode Island :D