• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

widi

Would like to pass on a bit of knowledge I picked up over the last 18 months. Personal statement: keep it short, no longer than half the space provided, the board has a lot of applications to look at and a limited amount of time. Letters of recommendation: three from people that know you well, if using military officers, shoot for O5 and above; purportedly too many LOR can actually detract from your application. Medical clearance: seek to have it complete and part of your packet, only makes you more competitive. Own your packet: trust but verify what you hear/read. Don't give up: keep at it; if you're not competitive put time/energy into yourself and others and try again a year, two or five later. If I remember correctly the average age of selects is early to mid 30's. Finally, I would suggest to those in this thread (or lurking) who don't consider the Navy their only choice to prudently pursue a reserve direct commission in either the Coast Guard (prior service) or Army (prior/non-prior service).

exNavyOffRec

Would like to pass on a bit of knowledge I picked up over the last 18 months. Personal statement: keep it short, no longer than half the space provided, the board has a lot of applications to look at and a limited amount of time. Letters of recommendation: three from people that know you well, if using military officers, shoot for O5 and above; purportedly too many LOR can actually detract from your application. Medical clearance: seek to have it complete and part of your packet, only makes you more competitive. Own your packet: trust but verify what you hear/read. Don't give up: keep at it; if you're not competitive put time/energy into yourself and others and try again a year, two or five later. If I remember correctly the average age of selects is early to mid 30's. Finally, I would suggest to those in this thread (or lurking) who don't consider the Navy their only choice to prudently pursue a reserve direct commission in either the Coast Guard (prior service) or Army (prior/non-prior service).

Confused on your post.

Reserve DCO application are required to have officer interviews (Intel one O-5, and one O-4 minimum), LOR's are dictated by the number of jobs held, at a minimum 3, if in the past 3 years you have had 10 jobs you will have 10 LOR's.

Medical clearance DOES NOT make you more competitive, the board NEVER sees it, the reason is they have no need to know and the info is confidential.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Confused on your post.

Reserve DCO application are required to have officer interviews (Intel one O-5, and one O-4 minimum), LOR's are dictated by the number of jobs held, at a minimum 3, if in the past 3 years you have had 10 jobs you will have 10 LOR's.

Medical clearance DOES NOT make you more competitive, the board NEVER sees it, the reason is they have no need to know and the info is confidential.

Is it beneficial, from a processing point of view, to go to MEPS before selection? Is it even possible? Can the physical examination be performed by a regular medical group? Thanks NavyOffRec!

exNavyOffRec

Is it beneficial, from a processing point of view, to go to MEPS before selection? Is it even possible? Can the physical examination be performed by a regular medical group? Thanks NavyOffRec!

By the book most designators have to go after selection, but we send people to MEPS before all the time, the usual ones are those that have a known medical issue and if so that is the beneficial part.

They actually can, however it can be a pain in the a** much easier to go through MEPS.

PapaK

Your recruiter shouldn't have to get clearance to send you to MEPS, he should just be doing it!!! there are a few NRD's that are control freaks NRD NE comes to mind.

NavyOffRec, I know what you mean. I moved from NRD Chicago to NRD NE and the procedure seems a bit different especially since I had two LCDRs and one LT as recruiters and now have a PO who is new to the officer recruiting process. I just want to be the perfect candidate.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
On the Medical Thing. My civilian job is on a Navy base. I was able to do my Phyical at the branch medical clinic. The recruiter has a deal worked out with them just for this stuff.

Messiah62

I am trying to think of ways that I can improve my "management or leadership" experience. I am 22 and will have my masters a year from now. I think I am very competetive in every other aspect except that I can't really put my leadership skills on paper. I was captain of my high school track team, Patrol leader for boyscouts, etc... That was 4 years ago though so I dont know if it will help.

das

Contributor
Any leadership roles help. And it can be in a community service or volunteer type of environment, too. Coaching a team, acting as an officer of a volunteer group, neighborhood group, or similar...all of these things can be highlighted as leadership experience.

RaginCajun

Greetings!

I have been lurking here for nearly a year, and have now signed up. I'm applying for the next board.

I'm 26, have an MBA, and working on my Doctorate. It's been a long process thus far, but things seem to really be moving with my recruiter now.

PapaK

Welcome RaginCajun. Glad to hear things are moving forward. What's your Doctorate in and what are you applying for? Lastly, how did you light up your recruiter?

RaginCajun

Welcome RaginCajun. Glad to hear things are moving forward. What's your Doctorate in and what are you applying for? Lastly, how did you light up your recruiter?

Doctorate in International Finance -Creating Algorythms to Predict failure

I'm applying for Intel.

Lastly... sad to say, but I found a new recruiter.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm 26, have an MBA, and working on my Doctorate. It's been a long process thus far, but things seem to really be moving with my recruiter now.

Having a Masters is a plus, but much weight is given to your undergrad/grad school grades (which you don't mention). Also, at 26, your age-limit clock is running down, so don't dally on package submission.
BzB

RaginCajun

Having a Masters is a plus, but much weight is given to your undergrad/grad school grades (which you don't mention). Also, at 26, your age-limit clock is running down, so don't dally on package submission.
BzB

3.2 GPA... not great, but it is what it is.
my package should be ready for the next board, from what my new recruiter tells me. I've also done 2 Study Abroad programs, so I'm hoping that helps in some way too. Hell, I even got married in Europe. Hopefully, I get a board of people who think highly of international studies...

PapaK

BzB
BzB, if your statement is to be believed, I should not even bother. At 35 with only two Masters Degrees and a less than perfect undergrad GPA, I have no chance. I fail to believe that.