• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future Blue Angels/thunderchicken aircraft

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I was an SNA in Flight Systems (API) in Pensacola when the Blue Angels first flew in from El Centro in their brand new F-4's. Their first public appearance in them. All classes were let out in mid morning, and we all went to Sherman Field for an impromptu airshow. They came smoking in from the west (literally) and proceeded to stoke the fires of several hundred young flight students. Great motivation

I know the feeling...walking out of class down there in the spring and seeing the Blues coming over the top in the diamond 360, or hearing the op. solo rattle the windows on the sneak is the greatest motivation out there. Cradle of Naval Aviation....without a doubt.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last spring I had the opportunity to tour their building in P'Cola, and the Command Master Chief mentioned there was speculation about going to the Rhino, but nothing certain.

That seems highly unlikely.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The blues fly mostly stock F/A-18s. Only mods are smoke system, inverted fuel and oil systems and ejection seat harness that is integral to the seat.
web_060924-F-5145S-003.jpg

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are those?

Their fuel and oil systems are modified to allow sustained inverted/0g flight. Most aircraft have time limits that would prevent some of their extended maneuvers.

MasterBates

They allow the oil and fuel systems to maintain their prime (as in, keep on suckin and pumpin) when the aircraft is upside down, or otherwise in a negative g situation.

Some aircaft can do it, but have time limits. T-34C comes to mind. I'm guessing that the Blues are moded for extended inverted/negative g flying.

Maybe a Hornet Driver can more accuratley speak to the normal -18 inverted flight and -g limitations.

JJCaesar

pilot
Blue's Limitations vs. Fleet Hornets

Fleet Hornets are limited to transient negative G, and no more than 10 sec. inverted (except pre-LOT X being limited to 5 sec.). They've got a spring retaining clip for the tension spring on the control stick and a large analog clock next to the HUD for timing (solos). The smoke arm light and inverted pump lights are on the left upper dash/glare shield. Chaff/Flare switch activates the smoke (which is not visible with AB selected). Ferried Blue's jets for two seasons from El Sweato to Pensacola after they finished spring training (I was a RAG IP then in -106). They are fast (light/pylons removed and the paint has a high gloss). Was able to supercruise in the Gulf of Mexico on the way from Houston Ellington to P-Cola (M 1.08 at Mil). Great nose authority. There's a nasty rumor that the smoke reservoir was full when I launched from El Centro and empty when I landed in P-Cola. So I've heard...

HUDcripple

pilot
IIRC there are no negative G mods required, just a NATOPS waiver to exceed the 10 seconds of inverted/neg G flight. None of the maneuvers require sustained 0 Gs.
I was at 122 when they were building the Rhino demo (Boeing and USN routines) and getting permission for 30 seconds of inverted flight was just a matter of talking to the engineers. Also got a waiver for 1080 degrees of continuous roll. The FRS decided to keep the USN demo within NATOPS, but Boeing does a little extra for the FMS program.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I read that they wear the gold flight suit this year on certains shows because of an anniversary. They wore the gold suit on sunday at the airshow in cleveland and blue the other days.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
I read that they wear the gold flight suit this year on certains shows because of an anniversary. They wore the gold suit on sunday at the airshow in cleveland and blue the other days.

Ah, that's right. Happy 60th!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Or it could be a regular old desert flightsuit.

Brett

snake020

Contributor
Ya, it was a bright yellow suit when they were in AK in Aug. Wasn't sure if they just changed the color of the flight suits for the non-flying officers because for the Friday pre-show party the Blues were in their blue ones, but sure enough when they egressed they were wearing those yellow suits.