• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Meter no longer pegged

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Two of my instructors just got tapped for IA... one's a pilot, the other is a NFO. They didn't sound pleased about it.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
pennst8 said:
Two of my instructors just got tapped for IA... one's a pilot, the other is a NFO. They didn't sound pleased about it.

Nobody is pleased per se but, "If you take the king's coin, then you do the king's bidding."

What is frustrating for most people is that they are just getting notified. We got some heads up at my command. I found out about two weeks ago that I was probably going and I don't leave for another two weeks. I can deal with that. I know of some guys that are finding out right now. That is BS.

S.O.B.

pilot
SteveG75 said:
If you want to know what we are doing over there, PM me you SIPRNET address and I'll tell you. If you don't have a SIPRNET address, you don't have the clearance to know.:banghead_

WOW! SIPERNET :confused: What’s that? I’m just a dumb Helicopter Pilot. Could you tell me and then kill me? I wan't to know that bad. :eek:

P.S. The truck driving thing was a joke. Seriously, best of luck.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
S.O.B. said:
WOW! SIPERNET :confused: What’s that? I’m just a dumb Helicopter Pilot. Could you tell me and then kill me? I wan't to know that bad. :eek:

P.S. The truck driving thing was a joke. Seriously, best of luck.

Well, VCNO is chatting about it:
On other topics, Willard said Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Mullen believes the Navy electronic warfare community "and specifically our aviators" could help in the campaign against improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which have caused so many casualties in Iraq. He said the Navy is using a variety of technologies, including jammers, to work through the IED threat. The Navy EA6 community will provide nearly 300 electronic warfare experts to Iraq and Afghanistan to try to assist in spectrum management and other IED warfare issues
http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/se...ly_story.jsp?view=story&id=news/WING02246.xml

boobcheese

While I am merely an OC and the threat of IA duty is a very distant concern, it seems odd to me that anyone who *****es about IA gets a ration of sh*t and is told to suck it up. With all the active duty forces being over worked, over deployed, and generally spread too thin (even with the heavy augmentation from the reserves), the White House resits the notion of increasing troop levels. I may be horribly uninformed, but the motivation for this seems to be based on politics rather than a sustainable strategy to combat terrorism. I realize increasing troop levels now would have little effect for at least a couple of years but I think anyone with common sense could have forseen from the get go that the GWOT would require a large sustained effort. I think people have the right to be pissed about this and we all need to be asking why there isn't more being done to match troop levels to the demands being place on the military.

Reactions: ben

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Everyone says "once you get out of the training command, your life will be more stable," less bull**** to deal with, etc. Finding out that you're leaving for a year two weeks prior sounds like a heaping helping of bull****. The Navy is a pretty cool job and all, and I'm proud to serve, but I think this whole IA deal could be done a lot better. How, I don't know, but anytime I'm getting two weeks notice to pack for a year, I'm calling shenanigans. Standing by for gung ho-badasses to tell me to suck it up, etc...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
primary28 said:
Everyone says "once you get out of the training command, your life will be more stable," less bull**** to deal with, etc. Finding out that you're leaving for a year two weeks prior sounds like a heaping helping of bull****. The Navy is a pretty cool job and all, and I'm proud to serve, but I think this whole IA deal could be done a lot better. How, I don't know, but anytime I'm getting two weeks notice to pack for a year, I'm calling shenanigans. Standing by for gung ho-badasses to tell me to suck it up, etc...

While it may not be "right" (and I agree there should be more lead time), you don't necessarily have to suck it up. Never forget you volunteered for your job.

FatKid

Pags said:
While I may just be a wet behind the ears JO, I'm pretty sure they commissioned me to be an officer first and an aviator second.

Fair argument, sounds like you will make a great CO.

I took a four year obligation as an officer and an eight year obligation as an aviator. The navy has recovered their cost and then some.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
pennst8 said:
A couple people have posted suggesting attrites/DORs being sent to these IA jobs. Any chance they'll send newly minted O-1s to fill spaces while they're waiting to go to flight school?

I know a lot of people who would consider volunteering for that, myself included (in a few months). More balls than brains perhaps...

[Edit after the fact - just saw gatordev's earlier post about lack of experience... which would rule out what I was thinking...]

Some folks are going over prior to starting API. MATSG-21 asked for two Lt's to volunteer for a six month TAD assignment with RCT's 1 and 7 to work air support coordination at the regimental level just a couple of days ago. Within half a day or so they had so many volunteers that they stopped taking names. A good portion of us are dying to go over, even if it is on the ground.

Pags

N/A
pilot
FatKid said:
Fair argument, sounds like you will make a great CO.

I took a four year obligation as an officer and an eight year obligation as an aviator. The navy has recovered their cost and then some.
yeah, i sound like a huge company man. i'm sure my tone will change if and when i'm tapped; especially since it won't be for awhile, I'm sure by that time I'll have some semblance of a normal life that I won't want to give up for a year of IED patrol.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gtxc2001 said:
to work air support coordination at the regimental level just a couple of days ago.

2 sugars and light on the Cremora please.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
gtxc2001 said:
Some folks are going over prior to starting API. MATSG-21 asked for two Lt's to volunteer for a six month TAD assignment with RCT's 1 and 7 to work air support coordination at the regimental level just a couple of days ago. Within half a day or so they had so many volunteers that they stopped taking names. A good portion of us are dying to go over, even if it is on the ground.
my advice to all the dudes who haven't started flight school yet in P'cola (and even to the ones in flight school) is to scrap that newbie TBS motivation off of yourself and enjoy, guilt free, all the free time you have because the Corps & the Navy will get there's when you get to the fleet. trust me, i'm almost done with my first tour & i'm burnt, and i haven't deployed like some dudes i know

side-note ... as for USMC IA billets, i've been watching the message boards over the last 4 or so months & it seems like from the time a request for an IA is sent out to the time it is filled to the time of that person's departure is around 2 weeks ... most of those IA's billets are running from 180-240 days.