• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FRS for reserve aircraft?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
So I was thinking the other day, where would somebody go to train if they were transitioning to a reserve squadron that flew aircraft that the active-duty side to the Navy did not have? C-12s, C-40s and the like. Do you just show up and they train you like the RAG/FRS would?

On a similar note, what about Aggressor squadrons and TPS? Do they just provide specific training on their unique aircraft within the respective unit?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Not sure about the VRs but Reserve Hornet guys do a short stint at 106 (the normal Hornet RAG) if they're not still current or Rhino guys. I believe F-5 guys are still doing their initial training at VFC-111 in Key West because 13 is currently without an operable two-seater. BTW, it's adversary in the Navy. Aggressor is the Air Force term.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
C-40 dudes go to Dallas (CAE, I think). There's also squadrons that have their own FRSesses in-house and train their own.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
C-40 dudes go to Dallas (CAE, I think). There's also squadrons that have their own FRSesses in-house and train their own.

Interesting - figured C-40 bubs could do a "short course" at a P-8 RAG.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not sure about the VRs but Reserve Hornet guys do a short stint at 106 (the normal Hornet RAG) if they're not still current or Rhino guys. I believe F-5 guys are still doing their initial training at VFC-111 in Key West because 13 is currently without an operable two-seater. BTW, it's adversary in the Navy. Aggressor is the Air Force term.

VMFT-401 does initial F-5 training in Yuma as well. Not sure if any Navy dudes go through that squadron or not though.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
F-5 NATOPS training is done where ever there is a two seater available. Typically squadrons do their own in house unless their bird is going to be hard down for an extended period.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Interesting - figured C-40 bubs could do a "short course" at a P-8 RAG.
C-40's have been around a good bit longer than P-8 so the training has been too but perhaps down the road there could be some integration. Probably not though since most VR guys would prefer to stay as far away from VP stupidity as they can.

C-130's is a 3 week course in Ft Worth with civilians then 3 training flights at the squadron.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
C-40's have been around a good bit longer than P-8 so the training has been too but perhaps down the road there could be some integration. Probably not though since most VR guys would prefer to stay as far away from VP stupidity as they can.

They are also different versions of the same aircraft, may not be cost effective to merge the training.

dustydog

pilot
C-40s are three weeks of sims with FTI utilizing Boeing or CAE sims (site dependent). After that 2 flights and an instrument check the you are cleared for IOE.

We want to stay as far away from the P-8 stupidity as possible.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."

True - thought that maybe with P-8 coming online that the training would have been merged.

We want to stay as far away from the P-8 stupidity as possible.

Can't blame you - four years at VX-1 and I still didn't quite "get" the VP mentality.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True - thought that maybe with P-8 coming online that the training would have been merged.

It may never be merged, not only do they fly different versions of the aircraft the training priorities may conflict enough that it would ineffiecent for the VR folks to be trained at VP-30. I imagine the VP folks would put the VR guys at the bottom of the priority list, not even sure they even have the right sims.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I recall the training department getting inquiries about available 73 SIM time and if any could be purchased when the building went up and the new sims were getting installed. The P3 SIMs were leased out to other countries and organizations, I would be surprised if any excess capacity in the 73 wasn't treated the same.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recall the training department getting inquiries about available 73 SIM time and if any could be purchased when the building went up and the new sims were getting installed. The P3 SIMs were leased out to other countries and organizations, I would be surprised if any excess capacity in the 73 wasn't treated the same.

Are they going to be fully certified sims like the ones the airlines use? I remember several Navy sims not being the same as airline ones WRT to certification and capability. And since it is a different type would they be able to be used as 737 and not just P-8 sims?