• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FRS for reserve aircraft?

dustydog

pilot
Pretty sure the P8 sims aren't FAA certified level D. Navy didn't want to pay for the certification or give out 737 type ratings.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
...it would ineffiecent for the VR folks to be trained at VP-30. I imagine the VP folks would put the VR guys at the bottom of the priority list, not even sure they even have the right sims.

True story. Even if they had the right sims VP-30 probably wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Company reached out to me because they saw I had a P-3 background and a they needed someone to fly P-3s overseas on short notice for a program and asked if I was interested. I said yes, and got respooled to head out (approval of my nom package for the program, change in passport visas, coordinating to leave in the middle of current aircraft initial training etc.)... until it turns out VP-30 couldn't support a short re-current syllabus to support and the customer had to pull the plug on the whole thing.

I was actually pretty excited about the whole deal until I learned VP-30 was going to be involved and then I started having flashbacks of P-3 stump the chump sessions and 5 hour preflights.

VP-30 was about a months worth of training (25hrs in the aircraft) crammed into four when I was a student due to having to match up all Pilot, NFO, FE, AW classes with each other... I don't see VP-30 magically gaining efficiencies just because they train on P-8s now, even if their sims got certified. It is has been and will continue to be much easier for C-40 guys just to go through a civilian type rating course for the 737.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention sim capacity, as in at least in Jax we really don't have the periods available to add another training syllabus to sim demand. Things will calm down once all the squadrons are transitioned, but being at the wing and having to deal daily with the cat fight that is the sim schedule between ARP/ORE demands, VP-30, the squadrons, and random other organizations that need P-8 sim time already it's not fun.