• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fresh Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Merke

Hello all. I have been enjoying (and greatly appreciating) all the posts about everything related to what I'm applying for, and now its time for me to introduce myself! I just recently turned in my application for OCS in June 2004. Aviation is my first choice (I dream of helicopters), so I'm studying my tail off for the test, which I'm scheduled to take in Febuary. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, looking at all the info I've piled up in front of me (Airplane and Helicopter Handbooks, Navigation handbooks, ARCO's Study Guide, the study guide off of this website, etc etc!), I don't really know where or how to begin. Suggestions? Comments? Don't tell me to just start running my a$$ off and working out, because I'm already doing that. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a bar to practice hanging from though..
(Oh, did I mention I'm a Painting Major at the University of Washington, Seattle? [and I'm a girl too! Sorry, WOMAN] My OSO got a great big ole grin on his face when I told him that, "There's nothing wrong with that! Nothing!" he then said. I'm a painter who wants to be a Marine. Something's a bit repressed, don't you think?)
So I just wanted to say hello to everyone, wish me luck applying and studying and training, and any advise from anyone is ALWAYS welcome.

reapergm

Im a painter! Nothings wrong with that. I mean, I paint with brushes AND paintball guns sometimes! :) I did alot of art in college. I graduated with Psych and I wanna fly. Ive seen some weird stuff oo this site. Wasnt someone on this site majoring in Egyptian or something and now flys jets? I dunno. Who cares..., study for the ASTB. I took it before I saw this sites guide, but I heard its almost exact. Get your PFT scores up there. You can get a decent pullup bar from Sports Authority or Modells. Get one that holds on between both sides of your door, not the twist one for in between the doorframe. As a "WOMAN" you should be in good shape. A couple of weeks ago my OSO had a helo ride event. The Capt. who gave us the ride was a woman.. K.. Hope my 2 cents helped. If I dont get into 185, maybe Ill see you in 186.

Ann Merke

Thanks for the thoughts Reaper- didn't occur to me to buy a pullup bar- I am still in shock that my school's fancy, brand spankin' new workout facilities (its a HUGE mutha) doesn't have ONE hang/pull-up bar. Not one.
My OSO is about to do a plane ride event, I won't be able to make it, but it sounds pretty cool. I wish they would do a helo ride.

See ya maybe in 186!

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I wouldn't worry about Nav Handbooks and whatnot. Maybe check out the ARCO books, but the Marine Study Guide seems to be the best thing out to help prepare for the ASTB.

I'm getting my application together for PLC (air) too. So hopefully we'll both make it. You sound motivated, good luck.

My friend is a Marine Op who's about 6ft, and weighs only about 150. He's also always talking about drugs and came up with names like "BoyGeorge" and "EltonJohn" for his rifle. THe Marines are getting some really "outofthemold" types I guess.

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
I second what DB said about the studying. Definitely study the Marine Study Guide, it's good gouge and become very very familiar with the spatial apperception section of the Arco book. You don't need to worry too much about the other stuff you have...too in-depth for the test. Also, really work on practicing against the clock. Not keeping track of time killed me on the MVC section. Good luck and hopefully we'll all see you this summer.

Jake

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Originally posted by DBLang
I wouldn't worry about Nav Handbooks and whatnot. Maybe check out the ARCO books, but the Marine Study Guide seems to be the best thing out to help prepare for the ASTB.

I'm getting my application together for PLC (air) too. So hopefully we'll both make it. You sound motivated, good luck.

DBLang,
How far along are you with the Application for PLC? Are you applying PLC-Combo or Jrs? When do you plan on submitting it for the boards?

Anyone know when the last board date is for PLC-Combined? Thanks much.

reapergm

Red - Fancy gym? Check this out... see if it has a Cable Crossover Machine. Like 10 feet wide, 7 feet high. 2 sides, connnected at top, with cable pulls on each side. I wish I had a picture. Anyhow, most gyms have these, and most of them have pullupbars in between. You just probably never noticed. If not, pullupbar.

Ann Merke

I've been to my school's newly remodeled gym multiple times looking for pullup bars, on machines, in corners, anywhere. I'll look for this so-called Cable Crossover Machine, but I don't recall seeing it. I asked a couple employees at the gym and none of them knew of any pullup bars, one memorably looked at me for a minute, then said, "I'm not sure, well, there are dumb-bells in the weight room..." I looked at her silently for a couple seconds, thanked her and left. Then next morning I ordered an at-home doorway pullup bar online, thank you for the idea Reaper. I'll just go to the gym for everything else.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
EA-6B

Right now I'm filling out the rough application. I still need to get a few more PIQs, but I'm working on that and should have it done by next week. After that I need to go to MEPS so I can start taking the PFTs. The PFT shouldn't be too bad, I've been getting ready since my senior year in highschool. I'm a college freshman, so I'll submit in december when I get my first grades. That is, if everything goes as planned.

Hey, I'm female too but I'm applying for the navy. (for the second time) I'm a legal studies major with criminal justice and psychology minors and I want to be an NFO. I don't think it really matters what your major is that much. It's more about how much you want it I think... and how good your grades are in whatever major you choose and your test results and what else you are involved in. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think if you want it enough you'll eventually get it (at least I hope so!!!)

riley

I graduated with a degree in supersonic jet fighters and a minor in electronic gadgetry that blows the bad guys to hell.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with everyone else that it doesn't matter what you studied in school - as long as they can tell you are passionate, sincere, and capable.

Ann Merke

Originally posted by riley mcconnell
I graduated with a degree in supersonic jet fighters and a minor in electronic gadgetry that blows the bad guys to hell.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with everyone else that it doesn't matter what you studied in school - as long as they can tell you are passionate, sincere, and capable.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition, Riley!

Hey, being the Marine OCS hopeful that I am, do you all think that dating an AFROTC boy would count against me in my application? Should I mention that and try to get a waiver? Or just hope they never notice... or just drop the boy.. Life is complicated!

Status
Not open for further replies.