• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Freedom of speech gone too far..

navyao

In doing some research I came across this from a case before the Texas 3rd District Court of Appeals: "The First Amendment prohibits laws that abridge freedom of speech. There are, however, certain classes of speech that are not afforded the protection of the First Amendment. "Fighting words" are one such class of speech, which are "personally abusive epithets which, when addressed to the ordinary citizen, are, as a matter of common knowledge, inherently likely to provoke violent reaction. Accordingly, we hold that the conduct proscribed under section 42.01(a)(2) falls within the "fighting words" exception and does not violate rights of free speech and expression protected by the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. We overrule appellant's first point of error.

Wouldn't Westboro's protests fall under the "fighting words" criteria?

Concur. That would fall under "creating a disturbance" or "disorderly conduct." The first and fourteenth amendments only protect free speech to a certain extent. When the speech and or signage upset or offend someone than probable cause exists. It doesn't necessarily have to be the family or friends attending the funeral either, it can be Joe Shmuckately driving by, it can be LE. "Thank God for dead soldiers" creates a disturbance. LE should tell the protestors to remove the sign, if not arrest them. It may only be a municipal or at best a misdemeanor but regardless, you get them outta there for the funeral and that's what matters.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read something about these nutbags not long ago that I found interesting: they've apparently latched on to some line in scripture about how, in the Last Days, the saved will be the most hated of men. Ergo, they say, the most hated are the saved. Since we're obviously in the End Times, I guess. So they're not so much speaking their mind and willing to be hated for it, as deliberately trying to be as hated as possible. In that they've succeeded, needless to say.

Freedom of speech and religious expression aren't absolute. You can't sacrifice a virgin or burn down a building because you think God told you to.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, it seems those whackjobs have finally crossed the line. Apparently, according to the Supreme Court, it's fine to thank God for dead soldiers, and say that people are going to hell, etc. But as soon as you target a person or family for harassment, you've committed a tort.

And further, it seems that there are places where the government can't step in, but a private party is free to sue.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
These folks are going to find themselves on the wrong side of God's joke when they're the ones finding themselves spending eternity in Satan's sauna bath while a bunch of gays are checking in with St. Peter.

That the founder is an "ex" homosexual explains a lot. Those most virulently anti-gay are usually the ones scared of being gay themselves.

phrogpilot73

I hope that the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church. If they do, I'm keeping my eyes on the obituaries...

"God Hates Fags, That's Why the Cock Sucker Fred Phelps is Dead."

"Fred Phelps Took it in the Ass, and That's Why He's Dead - Because God Hates Him."

"Fred Phelps is in Hell - And So Are You."

will be the signs I will hold up mere feet from his grave during the ceremony.

GroundPounder

I hope that the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church. If they do, I'm keeping my eyes on the obituaries...

"God Hates Fags, That's Why the Cock Sucker Fred Phelps is Dead."

"Fred Phelps Took it in the Ass, and That's Why He's Dead - Because God Hates Him."

"Fred Phelps is in Hell - And So Are You."

will be the signs I will hold up mere feet from his grave during the ceremony.

Excellent, wish I would have thought of that first. I've still got friends in the area, at least I won't have to pay for a place to stay.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
SCOTUS handed down their verdict, 8 to 1 supporting the Westboro Hate Group's position on Free Speech. Not unexpected in this corner of the world, buit none the less very sad day.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Supreme Court rules for Anti-Gay church over Military Funeral Protests

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/scotus.westboro.church/

I don't even know where to begin with this one. I never in a million years would've thought it would go/end up this way.

The vote ended up 8-1? And the Supreme Court feels that Westboro Baptist has a "broad-based message on public matters" and so now have the right to protest at military funerals.

I'm pretty upset by this crap. What the hell is happening lately?

GreenLantern330

This is just terrible. And anyone who would even considering siding with the Westboro Baptist Church is... well crazy IMO. I can't believe the Supreme Court passed this either. I'm stunned.

GroundPounder

I've seen those folks going back to 86 when I was in school, and they are O2 thieves of the highest order. Even so, the 1st amendment does also apply to them and their vile attempts at gaining attention.

There have been cases where hours of talk radio have been turned over to the Phelps' in exchange for not appearing at funerals, which I totally disagree with. The more media time we give them, the more you encourage them to be outrageous.

In addition to being religious whack jobs, the leadership of the " church " are attorneys and they know to the letter what they can and can't get away with.