• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For the new folks, this is why we do not speculate on mishaps...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So I've never got a definitive answer on this, but am I wrong for giving my wife a quick text letting her know I'm okay if there's a mishap somewhere nearby?
I learned this one the hard way, had an FOUO on the deck, burned up a box, sent the crew to medical while we were determining whether it was a Mishap or not...I was the last one to medical, nobody was hurt, just the standard pulse-ox, vitals check. I sent the wife a quick text that "we were CANX due to a burned up box and would be expecting dinner in an hour, everyone was fine, just going to medical"...somehow this ended up at my 2P's wife as "They had a fire and are going to the hospital" and he had a lot of unneccesary ass-pain due to me...in the future, the wife will find out when I get home...I hate cell-phones...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
"I broke the shit out of a jet" is usually my text which actually means "This bitch literally tried to kill me but I'm OK."

brownshoe

Contributor
On a lighter note, thanks for your service Sir, and bring on the Spad stories! I've always thought it would be a fun aircraft to strap on.
He’s told me many during our phone conversations over the past few years and he's shared some really great stories VIA email. He keeps telling me he’s going to post some stories here at AW, but he never does. ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prolly just adverse to "tootin' his own horn" or somesuch.

Uh...I would hope that sharing 'first hand' stories with Shipmates is not considered "tootin' one's own horn". If so, I plead guilty of impersonating Harry James (or Chris Botti?). :D

I enjoy other's TINS (This Is No S**t) stories. The few I've posted have been well received. I have experienced many unique adventures in my Navy time, not because I was anything special, but I was in over 2+ decades (O & E) and one of them was wartime w/ 4 combat deployments. I was pounded on for years to "write them down", or they would be lost forever when I made my final trap on the big CVA in the sky! lol

So, I finally did that over a lengthy time period (still pluggin' away, before the memories get weaker), mainly for my children and theirs, and down the line. I urge others to do the same, your Shipmates, family, friends, & descendents will appreciate it ..as will relatives yet unborn.

Finally, friendly rant over.
BzB

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Uh...I would hope that sharing 'first hand' stories with Shipmates is not considered "tootin' one's own horn". If so, I plead guilty of impersonating Harry James (or Chris Botti?). :D

I enjoy other's TINS (This Is No S**t) stories. The few I've posted have been well received.
BzB

Well said. Not trying to pressure anyone but I'd say that "stories 'round the campfire" play two hugely important roles in Naval Aviation:

1. They help us not make the same mistakes again. Why do we think that the instructors we have in the simulator are "old and crusty" in the words of current students? They are there to share what they've learned the hard and scary way to make us all better. Sometimes it's a ritual form of hazing and sometimes it saves your bacon. In the bigger sense, it also gives us a sense of "big mistakes" that we've made in the past. Why, for example, won't we ever put an ACM aircraft in the field without a gun? Because we've learned from stories of F-4 Aviators who had "been there, done that".

2. It gives us a sense of who we are. Without the stories of the NA's who've gone before, we don't have any sense of our context in the sweep of Naval Aviation. We lose the ability to draw the similarity of experience line between the Corsair, the Phantom, the Tomcat and the Charles/Rhino. I'm sure in the days following Tailhook, it would have been far to easy to give up and become the Air Force (I keed, I keed!) Stories from Subic, Olangapo, Kadena etc...help to keep the memory of better (and different) days alive and swing the pendulum back a bit in the direction of common sense. The bottom line? They are part of what make it fun to do this job. They are part of what makes the next generation want to be in our shoes. Let's not lose them.

Flugelman

Contributor

BzB

BzB,
Didn't mean that in any way negative... I enjoy the TINS as much as anyone. I've even toyed with the idea of posting some of my step-dad's tales from his Korea experiences. He left several stories in his documents which I discovered as executor of his estate.

Best Regards,
Flugelman

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
TINS stories are only received well once one is comfortable with the teller. That's why people hate hearing those stories from the crusty sim guys--"I've met this guy 2 minutes ago and he's already telling me about his tough guy stories from before I was born." That's a by-product of the sim instructors only interacting with studs for a brief and flight. Actual IPs giving the same types of stories are generally well received.

On AW, legit people are often afraid to tell TINS because if they aren't well established, they come off as poseurs, even if they're telling the truth. Actually, that's one of the poseur "tells," showing up on a website and immediately coming off the top rope with BTDTs. Unfortunately, sometimes we lose some good true stories due to our well-founded paranoia.

blackbart22

pilot
Worked around the Air Force for 21 years after my Navy time and learned very early to bit my tonge and don't swap storys. 1. They wouldn't believe me and 2 Their culture is so different from ours that what would be common banter at any O club Happy Hour is considered highly insulting by them. i.e. I was working out of Seattle and one of the civilian company guys introduced me to another as "a Navy fighter pilot". Without thinking, I replyed the way any real AD Driver would - - I wanted to be a fighter pilot but didn't qualify. My parents were married and my IQ was higher than my boot size. The next morning the F-16 test pilot showed up at my desk, put his foot next to mine and said "Do you think I qualify? He was really pissed. Later when I work at the F-15 CTF at Eddie's Flying Patch, I did my best not to mention any of my misadventures.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Worked around the Air Force for 21 years after my Navy time and learned very early to bit my tonge and don't swap storys. 1. They wouldn't believe me and 2 Their culture is so different from ours that what would be common banter at any O club Happy Hour is considered highly insulting by them. i.e. I was working out of Seattle and one of the civilian company guys introduced me to another as "a Navy fighter pilot". Without thinking, I replyed the way any real AD Driver would - - I wanted to be a fighter pilot but didn't qualify. My parents were married and my IQ was higher than my boot size. The next morning the F-16 test pilot showed up at my desk, put his foot next to mine and said "Do you think I qualify? He was really pissed. Later when I work at the F-15 CTF at Eddie's Flying Patch, I did my best not to mention any of my misadventures.

Hey, when they have small penis's they have to feel good about something right? :)