• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For the new folks, this is why we do not speculate on mishaps...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ya true but it did say that she initially used Facebook to get into contact with the wife which means someone messed up and didn't kill the internet like they should have
They use the civilian cellphone network there and FB is certainly available. There's no switch for that in the base commander's office. ;)

highside7r

None
Correct, many guys have cellphones here and we have 2 types of networks, the standard Spawar system that is normally shut off quickly and Moralesat, which requires someone in the camp to actually pull the plug.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
ya true but it did say that she initially used Facebook to get into contact with the wife which means someone messed up and didn't kill the internet like they should have

It takes time to shut down the whole network. There isn't actually a huge on/off switch on the CO's desk. Plus, it takes time for the word to even get to the CO and SPAWAR people.

When this happened to us, we had the system at River City while the MEDEVAC helo was still airborne and enroute to the STP. It was shut down inside of 10 minutes from the blast. We still had one idiot (from the affected platoon) race to the SPAWAR to start blabbing all over the world.

His excuse? We didn't get it shut down fast enough, so he was justified in contacting the NOK himself.

bluemarlin04

Wow there is some dumb people. I thought it was kind of understood that you dont run your mouth about it. Never did think about the cell phone networks over there.

hopefully the girl who is responsible for this gets punished for her stupidity.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.......We still had one idiot (from the affected platoon) race to the SPAWAR to start blabbing all over the world. His excuse? We didn't get it shut down fast enough, so he was justified in contacting the NOK himself.

I hope that he gets hammered for that utter stupidity, but let's not speculate about that though......;)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
It takes time to shut down the whole network. There isn't actually a huge on/off switch on the CO's desk. Plus, it takes time for the word to even get to the CO and SPAWAR people.

When this happened to us, we had the system at River City while the MEDEVAC helo was still airborne and enroute to the STP. It was shut down inside of 10 minutes from the blast. We still had one idiot (from the affected platoon) race to the SPAWAR to start blabbing all over the world.

His excuse? We didn't get it shut down fast enough, so he was justified in contacting the NOK himself.

Who actually *wants* to do that notification? That's what I don't understand. It's not I job I'd ever want, so I certainly wouldn't try to circumvent the system in order to get the privilege of telling some woman her husband is dead. I can understand the innocent slip ups, to an extent, but to race to the task like it's some kind of Shotgun! dibs on the front seat is nonsensical.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who actually *wants* to do that notification? That's what I don't understand. It's not I job I'd ever want, so I certainly wouldn't try to circumvent the system in order to get the privilege of telling some woman her husband is dead. I can understand the innocent slip ups, to an extent, but to race to the task like it's some kind of Shotgun! dibs on the front seat is nonsensical.
It's the ultimate game of "I've got a secret." That gets some people off.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So I've never got a definitive answer on this, but am I wrong for giving my wife a quick text letting her know I'm okay if there's a mishap somewhere nearby?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No. because if everyone did that, the wives without a text are shaking in fear, or for some, anticipation.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I doubt that's how you'd want your wife to find out, so extend the same courtesy to the spouses of others. All the wives don't have to be having tea together for it become apparent who got a text and who didn't.

You should tell your wife why you can't do this anymore so you don't scare her when you don't text next time there's a mishap. Also, let her know how it will actually go down if something were to happen. I scared the hell out of my wife once when I called from the duty desk after a flight. She saw the caller ID and thought something had happened. Afterwards I told her the SDO wouldn't be the one informing her if something did happen.