• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For A-6 Intruder Lovers.....

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the book is a lot better. The movie was great, but deviated some from the actual plot and a lot from the characters. I couldn't put it down.

Out of shear coincidence I ran into Stephen Coonts' flight lead from Vietnam in Culpeper, VA. Great guy with some great stories.
While fiction, Flight of the Intruder draws on some actual events, and some recognizable to me.

However for many years one thing bothered me. It appeared we might have known the same woman in Hong Kong. So some time ago, I emailed the author to find out for sure. Stephen Coonts was kind enough to respond. And no, though similar in some ways, we determined she was someone different. ;)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
You and me both. I always wanted to fly the Skyraider, Tomcat, and Intruder in that order. Now I'm just fvcked..

Final Countdown, Midway, and Flight of the Intruder were my "Top Gun".[/QUOTE]

Whatever Dude....
you know your inspiration was Doug Masters in Iron Eagle....just embrace it.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You and me both. I always wanted to fly the Skyraider, Tomcat, and Intruder in that order. Now I'm just fvcked..

Final Countdown, Midway, and Flight of the Intruder were my "Top Gun".[/QUOTE]

Whatever Dude....
you know your inspiration was Doug Masters in Iron Eagle....just embrace it.

I wonder if they'll let me bring my tape player, that's right I said tape player, to my CPT's.

MasterBates

No, but you can jack an Ipod into most ICSs...

At least I've heard you can. Not that I would ever do such a thing. Ever.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Can you listen to oldies off an NDB down here in South Tejas? I used to listen to oldies flying around in my mighty Warrior going 80 kts.

Yankee Uniform Tango
I didn't get to see FOTI till a few months back (I never read the book) and was thoroughly impressed. The lingo and some of the situations seem very consistent with what I've read in countless Vietnam-era memoirs, and even on here (unlike Top Gun which I despise).

Great flick all in all, I wish it got more recognition.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
While fiction, Flight of the Intruder draws on some actual events, and some recognizable to me.

However for many years one thing bothered me. It appeared we might have known the same woman in Hong Kong. So some time ago, I emailed the author to find out for sure. Stephen Coonts was kind enough to respond. And no, though similar in some ways, we determined she was someone different. ;)

That would have been an interesting coincidence :D

@Cron, i you have the time check out the book. One nice thing about Coonts' writing is that he includes a lot of cockpit jargon, switchology, etc. etc. It makes it very interesting to read, lots of details. There are a few exciting missions in the book that they left out of the movie. I also wish the movie would have received more recognition. At the time movies like Hunt for Red October were coming out, and it was popular to make movies based losely off of thriller novels. From what I heard it lost points with readers because it didn't follow the characters or exact plot and the musical score was sub-par according to some. I, however, thought that it was an excellent movie despite that.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I didn't get to see FOTI till a few months back (I never read the book) and was thoroughly impressed. The lingo and some of the situations seem very consistent with what I've read in countless Vietnam-era memoirs, and even on here (unlike Top Gun which I despise).

Great flick all in all, I wish it got more recognition.

The book far outshines the film.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As long as we're makin' up our Christmas wish-lists:

A4s, Forever :D ... followed closely, in order, by the Boeing 747 civie-stret Whale, the A6 'We-get-ours-at night' Intruder, the F4 Smoke-makin'-fire-breathin'-monster, the A7 FruitFly, the A3 Navy-whale, the Boeing 727 '3-holer', the MDouglas Diesel-10, the EA6 Queer, the STOOF a.k.a. "2 T-28's flyin' form on a Dempsey Dumpster", ... and some others ... that I've actually flown ...
:)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

A4s, Forever :D ... followed closely, in order, by the Boeing 747 civie-stret Whale, the A6 'We-get-ours-at night' Intruder, the F4 Smoke-makin'-fire-breathin'-monster, the A7 FruitFly, the A3 Navy-whale, the Boeing 727 '3-holer', the MDouglas Diesel-10, the EA6 Queer, the STOOF a.k.a. "2 T-28's flyin' form on a Dempsey Dumpster", ... and some others ... that I've actually flown ...
:)

So have I. :D

30ab3p0.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

"2 T-28's flyin' form on a Dempsey Dumpster"

Hot damn, what a great lick! I haven't heard that one in at least 30 years!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Yes....because everytime I want to go blow some shit up I think about Stevie Winwood.