• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN FNAEB Appeal

Appeal the decision?

• Fuck yeah, "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • Hell no, "Now go home and get your fucking shine box"

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tomcat_al200

pilot
Good afternoon all,
I was recently FNAEB for DQ'ing on the boat on my second go and I have been determined to be B(1), so I get to keep my wings but not fly anymore. This came as a bit of a surprise as everyone up to the two star recommended in writing that I go fly something other than an F/A-18. I'm staring at a POCR board in the near(?) future, and not feeling all that great at the moment, but I have had two separate retired O-5 who have done time in the Pentagon tell me to appeal the decision.
Like you guys know, you don't get here without drive and I'm all up for continuing to fight, but who the hell do I go to on appealing a 2*'s decision? I would appreciate any info that you could offer up.

Tomcat_al200

pilot
That was the consensus of the FNAEB board, my Skipper, Commodore, and Admiral's Ready Room, but the Admiral decided that I won't fly at all.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If it was CNAL's decision, then your only hope is the AirBoss. Not sure he is going to want to override CNAL though.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Is your worst-case outcome a "no, let's move on, please" or a "NO, and F-U for asking!" ?

Answering that might help make the decision on whether or not to proceed, & whether or not you'll get backing from others.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By appealing, you have nothing to lose. Don't just roll over and play dead. Fight it....the worse that could happen is they say no and you are where you are right now.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If I've read the instruction correctly, and it's been some time, I believe TYCOM is the final authority. Since CNAF is the TYCOM I believe you could technically find some way to request a review/appeal.

Two things though:

1. You'd have to find out if CNAL is authorized to act as final authority in these matters by some arrangement between it and CNAF.

2. I have it on VERY good authority that CNAF and CNAL (the admirals, not just the staffs) discuss these matters regularly. I'd be very surprised if CNAF would even agree to hear the appeal for concern of undercutting CNAL.

I'd be interested to hear if there is more to the story though. What happened with CNAL that caused him to diverge from recommendations all the way up the chain? My very well placed source shared stories with me a few times when similar things happened on the west coast with CNAF, but they were driven by an extremely poor performance by the individual once in the office(s) with the pre-interview board of O-5s/O-6s or the admiral himself.

As others have stated, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain - IF you can find a way to press the matter further forward.

Zanklin

Oh the per diem you'll make...
pilot
Agree with squorch2- If staying Navy is important, don't dismiss the POCR process. I am a former 1310 turned 1200 through the POCR process. PM if you want some advice.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thnk you'll be hard pressed to fight it. I don't think either Admiral takes the decision to end someone's flying career lightly. They've been briefed all the way up and by the time they meet with you, they get a final feel for what they are going to do. They don't have to concur with the recommendations up the chain.

Having worked with both of them, they are solid and fair naval aviators. I don't think your outcome will be different on appeal. I recommend you spend your energy now refocusing on what else the Navy has in store for you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may lose, but there's no reason not to appeal it. It's not like you get penalized for following the process, and if big boss say no, you're right where you are now. What do you have to lose?

As a great fictional aviator once said, never tell me the odds!