• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flood of Non-Spanish Speaking Middle Eastern Males Crossing Border

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
When i said trigger happy, i was referring to the poor soft hearted civilians who think we do not have to return fire when when fired upon.

If the Coast Guard is going to guard the waters, then they might as well recruit more seamen and give them guns to go on patrol rather than giving some of these Federal jobs to military contractors as the case has been of late.

If they think the terriost are going to come in through the airports, then they are wrong. They need to give as much attention as they give to airports to borders.

Rog, got you.

On the Coast Guard, you want to equip them and task them with a mission they have next to zero experience with? That'd cost more than beefing up border patrol or putting the Guard down there, or whatever.

Clux4

Banned
You know what i think, getting those guys that were activated to do border patrol will be very difficult as many of them have civilian jobs.
The reason why i said, Coast Guard is this. This guys are already trained to do search and rescue, counter nacotic operations, boat patrols and some of the high-speed things they do, so i think they can handle it.

But you know, we can just sit here and talk about what they can do all day. I don't see anything happening.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
You know what i think, getting those guys that were activated to do border patrol will be very difficult as many of them have civilian jobs.
The reason why i said, Coast Guard is this. This guys are already trained to do search and rescue, counter nacotic operations, boat patrols and some of the high-speed things they do, so i think they can handle it.

But you know, we can just sit here and talk about what they can do all day. I don't see anything happening.

Ok, and most of what they do is on the water. They have no land based training , to include small unit tactics, etc. You are aware that our borders are land, right?

I agree though, nothing will happen. Not until something very very very bad happens to the United States. September 11 was not large enough. It didn't affect most people. Before someone says otherwise, notice how old the news got for the left coasters? Why? It's New York, not LA. It's on the OTHER side of the country. It's sad, but true.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Clux4 said:
You know what i think, getting those guys [NG] that were activated to do border patrol will be very difficult as many of them have civilian jobs.
Then again, they all signed with the possibility that they may get called up for active duty in either foreign or domestic missions. That's nothing new or surprising.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
I am thinking this whole problem has to do with funding. Since the Coast Guard is now doing a greater half of homeland security, why not just broaden their manpower and get them to man the borders and territorial waters since Marines are trigger happy. The problem is that we are spending too much money on defense than we can afford.
Also you have to remember the U.S is a big country, guarding the borders will require alot of manpower.

Considering the Coast Guard is for guarding the waters of the United States....

The Border Patrol does a great job with the squat amount of money they get. Yes, a lot has to do with funding. A lot also has to do with politics. Mexico gets "offended" every time we try to secure the border, and our own people are way too bleeding heart to defend it properly.

Marines trigger happy? They returned fire. That's not trigger happy, that's defending themselves and the border.

Mind you, a true defense of hte border in the current situation will result in people dying.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marines trigger happy? They returned fire. That's not trigger happy, that's defending themselves and the border.

They returned fire on a 18 year old goatherder (US citizen) who shot in their direction with a 22 rifle. In this article, while pretty biased, still shows the the slippery slope that professional soldiers face when given police duties.

http://www.drcnet.org/guide8-97/friendlyfire.html

We have enough trouble trying to quell an insurgency in Iraq, how the heck is the military going to try and police the border? Leave that to the professional police and federal agents who are trained to do it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
They returned fire on a 18 year old goatherder (US citizen) who shot in their direction with a 22 rifle. In this article, while pretty biased, still shows the the slippery slope that professional soldiers face when given police duties.

We have enough trouble trying to quell an insurgency in Iraq, how the heck are we going to try and police the border. Leave that to the professinal police and federal agents who are trained to do it.

That's the one I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the exact details.

I agree completely with you. Troops are not police. Hard to go from the mindset of "kill the enemy" to "arrest the suspect". Leave it to Border Patrol and the rest of the Alphabets to take care of the border.

The insurgency issue... that's tough. Do you go brutal and harsh like Nazi Germany? Well, not many people have the stomach for that. It's also a dicey issue being the Middle East.

Flash said:

We have enough trouble trying to quell an insurgency in Iraq, how the heck is the military going to try and police the border? Leave that to the professional police and federal agents who are trained to do it.

Concur, I think it's a pretty good illustration of the problems. For one thing, without attempting to be insulting in any way, cops theoretically have more training and experience than your avg infantry type. Not with war, but with, well...cop work. I'm not sure if this applies to border patrol, but for ex. the NYPD is all generally a bit older than what you'd see in the military as well...as they require either 2 yrs military or college BEFORE you apply.

Also, most likely, they're from around there, know the area, know what's going on, etc. They're probably going to have a better handle on the situation and will also likely have more training. They've also got instituational experience with what's been happening...sending in military would mean starting from scratch.

And if the cops are really that badly outgunned, maybe we could loan em some gunships or something. ;)

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Another thing

Clux4 said:
Since the Coast Guard is now doing a greater half of homeland security, why not just broaden their manpower and get them to man the borders and territorial waters since Marines are trigger happy.
We'd have to create a Coast Guard Amphibious Assault Unit that's "Marine like" if we're going to have them guard some inland boaders.

To create such a unit would not only stir some controversy, but like you said,
Clux4 said:
The problem is that we are spending too much money on defense than we can afford.
The USCG is doing its domestic role in counter terrorism - on COASTAL waters!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
this whole article sounds real familiar..... WAIT!!!! it was a toom clancy novel!

Which one, I don't remember.

But I guess because someone used it in a book means it's impossible to be real. Right? I mean, no one would actually want to crash a plane into the Capitol area because Tom Clancy wrote about it a few years ago...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
oh calm down... not saying anything bad about your article... it was teeth of the tiger

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Patmack18 said:
Hence why we just make a live bombing range out of the boarder, and give ranchers free reign to "defend their property."

hey man, we're less than 10 min flying time from the border

strap some MK-76's on, and hell, no need for the det's out to El Centro

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
I think the Korean cease fire fixed their border problems. If we want to keep people out just mine the border. A few illegals go up like a roman candle and you'll see immagration figures drop I garantee it!

El Cid said:
I think the Korean cease fire fixed their border problems. If we want to keep people out just mine the border. A few illegals go up like a roman candle and you'll see immagration figures drop I garantee it!

It'd be a pretty long ass belt of mines. And you know they'll probably just start digging tunnels or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.