• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School DOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Ok, long story short, I originally had a STA-21 pilot slot, got NPQ while in college and offered NFO. I took it, and went on my way to flight school. While in API I realized I had absolutely no desire to be an NFO so I DOR'd. Now I'm up for re-designation and they're saying it's a 50-50 shot at being re-des or just being separated. My question is, if anybody knows of someone who has been through this experience, if I get separated, would I be paying back all my tuition and any other money? Thanks.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Ok, long story short, I originally had a STA-21 pilot slot, got NPQ while in college and offered NFO. I took it, and went on my way to flight school. While in API I realized I had absolutely no desire to be an NFO so I DOR'd. Now I'm up for re-designation and they're saying it's a 50-50 shot at being re-des or just being separated. My question is, if anybody knows of someone who has been through this experience, if I get separated, would I be paying back all my tuition and any other money? Thanks.

Here is an older post. Hozer in post #4 stated this pub to look at. Hope this helps you.

"https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/fol...500.4G_CH2.pdf see page I-3"

Here is the thread I found this information.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...cussions-of-a-DOR?highlight=DOR+Flight+School

Edit: Sorry I guess the first link doesn't work for me but it is the 1500.4G_CH2.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
My STA-21 buddy DOR'd out of the NFO pipeline last summer. He didn't even have the opportunity to redes, they just showed him the door. He doesn't have to repay a dime. If you need, I can get you in touch with him.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
My STA-21 buddy DOR'd out of the NFO pipeline last summer. He didn't even have the opportunity to redes, they just showed him the door. He doesn't have to repay a dime. If you need, I can get you in touch with him.

Thanks. I got some good gouge from ivillareal, and I'm thinking separation is starting to sound like a good idea if I don't want to end up as a SWO hating life. I just hope USAA doesn't immediately jack up the interest rate on that pre-commissioning loan I took out.

OC/EMC

Thanks. I got some good gouge from ivillareal, and I'm thinking separation is starting to sound like a good idea if I don't want to end up as a SWO hating life. I just hope USAA doesn't immediately jack up the interest rate on that pre-commissioning loan I took out.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your degree in and have you looked into restricted line communities?

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
If you don't mind me asking, what was your degree in and have you looked into restricted line communities?

I made the mistake of going for the easiest thing and just having a good time in college. So I chose Criminology, which to me is a waste of a degree. If anything I would go post baccalaureate for a different, more useful degree and then try to get into grad school or med school. Still haven't gotten all the details figured out in my head, but that's the idea. If somehow they allowed me to re-des into Med Corps and allow me to finish the pre-reqs for med school then that would be great, but I don't see that happening.

OC/EMC

I made the mistake of going for the easiest thing and just having a good time in college. So I chose Criminology, which to me is a waste of a degree. If anything I would go post baccalaureate for a different, more useful degree and then try to get into grad school or med school. Still haven't gotten all the details figured out in my head, but that's the idea. If somehow they allowed me to re-des into Med Corps and allow me to finish the pre-reqs for med school then that would be great, but I don't see that happening.

Ouch, yeah, the med corps route would be a long shot, but it can't hurt to try. Is supply corps an option? Intel?

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I wouldn't want to do supply. I'm pretty sure of that. Intel would require some thought, I suppose.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Nope. I never liked that aspect of maintenance. I just liked to turn the wrenches. I never even got my CDI qual. :D

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but there WAS that question about naval officer first, pilot second. I think that there are some pretty rewarding aspects to all the communities, including SWO. You could definately use the time (first tour/initial committment) to set yourself up for better options in the civilian world.

I wouldn't write off the other URL communities because you think you may "hate life". I can guarantee you are going to hate life as a civilian with a degree in Criminology. In my opinion, I would do whatever it took to stay in the Navy for the next 5 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.