• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Rules and Regs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
cindy said:
The quote was from Gen George Patton, not Hitler.

Editted to say: Yeah, D_mac, you need to seriously brush up on your history lol.

cindy

DMAC 5 Quote: Now, I want you to remember that no bastard won a war by dying for his country....he won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for HIS country!!".....??Adolf Hitler?? Unquote

Bevo16

pilot
You will use the whiz-wheel until you get your wings. In advanced helos there is a program that you can use for some of the low level visual navigation flights to compute the info, but as soon as you get into RI's, it is back to the wheel baby.

Learn it, live it, love it.

Seriously, if you get good with the thing it can be faster than a hand held computer and it also fits in your flight suit.

VAmookie

speaking of A-pool, what are most people doing while waiting to class up. Also, if you're doing virtually nothing, are you still getting paid??

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beating it like it owes you money.

Right now you're thinking, "what does he mean by that?"

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Nope. I know EXACTLY what that means.

Corps...yes, you're still getting paid. Don't worry, you'll work it off later.

Road Program

None
Is the whiz wheel that thing where you turn the little tables and you can get time, speed, and distance? We use those all the time on the bridge. Granted, I'll have to adjust my speeds just a tad, but if they're basically the same thing I got those down.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
That is correct. Damn, that means that I really have to learn how to use the Whiz Wheel. I can't "cheat off my buddies" anymore. Thanks for the quote correction....forgot I had it up here.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The More You Know: The Whiz Wheel is actually a circular slide ruler. You can now brag that you know how to use a slide ruler. Not many people this day do ;)

Road Program

None
Fly Navy...yep, that's the kind we used on a ship. What's the big deal with the whiz wheel? I use it all the time. Do a lot of people have problems with it? It sure beats the hell out of using a calculator...lot's quicker, especially for multiple equations.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
don't worry about the whiz wheel.. you'll use it mostly in ground school... maybe once or twice during primary for in-flight calculations. i'm guessing it differs from one you would use on a ship because it calculates altitudes, groundspeed/true air speed, mach number etc. that you wouldn't need for a two dimensional environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.