• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Rules and Regs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I'm going to P-cola to check into A-pool or API (not sure in my particular case) in November and want to get a jump if I can. I have a book that one of my friends who attrited gave me, Flight Rules and Regulations, 1997 edition (CNATRA P-909(REV. 10-97) PAT). Is the most up to date edition they're using or has there been an update.

I'd like to start studying early if I can, but I don't want to fill my head with outdated info...there's only so much stuff I can cram in there. Thanks.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
It will probably be correct for the most part. Don't worry about getting ahead in API. Just enjoy your time off. FRR especially requires 0 extra studying.

GatorNFO

SNFO in Primary
Rather than study FR&R, try to get your hands on the Nav book or even Aero. Those two are what will put you ahead of the game. If not dont sweat it. The current wait time in A-Pool is 2 to 4 months of doing nothing.

petescheu

Yeah, you'll have pleeeeeenty of time in A Pool, don't even worry about it. And the book you want is AIM/FAR 2004; you can get it for like 15 dollars almost anywhere.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go study the scattered ass on Pensacola Beach. Don't bother with anything API-related till you class up... there's no point. And when you're languishing in primary in Corpus or stuck in advanced in a hole like K-rock, Corpus, or Meridian, you'll be thankful you didn't waste all that time needlessly studying in a fun town.

/fine, don't believe me

edit: if you're a FO, nevermind the various locations

cindy

Recommend you try to complete the SNFO IFS before you get to P'cola, is possible. CNATRA 3501.2 if memory serves, and have copy somewhere.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
shoo24 said:
Yeah, you'll have pleeeeeenty of time in A Pool, don't even worry about it. And the book you want is AIM/FAR 2004; you can get it for like 15 dollars almost anywhere.

You'll get the AIM/FAR 2004 issued to you in IFS so there is no need to buy it. As of right now, SNFOs are not doing IFS but that is supposed to change in the new fiscal year.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Get your NAV book and a whiz wheel from the Instructor Bay. Do that homework. It'll earn you hours of sleep that your classmates won't get in Week 4.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I second what squeeze said. I was stressed out over it, and when I classed up I realized I did good by kicking back for 6 months. The current FRR is a 2002 edition. No that much has changed in the air though.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
ever play that game memory where u turn over one card and try and remember where its match is? most of API/Primary/Advanced tests are recognizing key words and their associated answers. API will play with you a bit more and change words around but the idea is the same. Kinda sux to say but you can't really "study" for API beforehand. The instructors will emphasize certain topics and tell you to disregard others. So don't waste your precious beach time worrying about FR&R. Can't say I even remember half the things I learned in API... yes, just like there is a steep learning curve.. there is also a steeper forgetting curve.. that's why they teach it to you again in advanced... aero, metro, inav, fr&r and systems.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
virtu050 said:
Can't say I even remember half the things I learned in API... yes, just like there is a steep learning curve.. there is also a steeper forgetting curve.. that's why they teach it to you again in advanced... aero, metro, inav, fr&r and systems.

Oh man...never did I realize that till we had an Aero CAI (computer aided instruction) here in Advanced. They started throwing all these L/d Max, Coeff of Drag graphs, and all that crap we learned in API. Me, my classmate, and the IUT in the class were like "WTF is this sh-t". Sure, we had learned it at API, but had long since forgotten it due to its 100% uselessness to pilots. Thankfully, it was clickably easy and the test had nothing to do with the CAI. Still, it scared us for a sec b/c we had completely brain dumped just about everything we had learned in API.

Bevo16

pilot
squeeze, your last name isn't Pasquali by any chance is it?

There is very little that is actually useful from API

The value of the Weather class can be summed up in 3 words: "Don't fly into thunderstorms".

Getting an intro to the whiz-wheel is good, but you will not really get the hang of it until insturment ground school in primary. After advacnced, you can throw the thing away.

FRR is a decent intro for the airspace, but it way to short to be much use.

Aero is decent, but once you understand how a stall works you are pretty much done.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Probably a dumb question but.....do they allow you to use electronic E-6B's in Primary, or do you still have to use the Whiz Wheel? Just curious.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
D_mac05 said:
Probably a dumb question but.....do they allow you to use electronic E-6B's in Primary, or do you still have to use the Whiz Wheel? Just curious.

Yeah, it's called the GPS. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bevo said:
The value of the Weather class can be summed up in 3 words: "Don't fly into thunderstorms".

LOL

By the way... nice counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.