• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
Can anybody tell me about the flight physical. How long does it take, and what do they do? I took a physcial through MEPS already, and I am wondering what how the flight physical is different. Also, I have been reading the requirements regarding SNA, and for the USMC they require you be at least 66 inches tall. At MEPS they listed me at 5' 5 1/4"; thus I do not meet the requirement by 3/4 inches- why would my OSO bother me to take the ASTB (got a 6/6) and all my package only to find out I am not tall enough. Is there are waiver for minimum height? I think I meet the other requirements for the anthro specs. Thanks.

schmied

OCS 188 Air
I can't answer the hight question, but the flight physical I can. It sucks!!! It is going to take all day, i.e. 0800 to 1600. There is a lot of waiting and going back and forth. Basically you get bloodwork done, blood pressure etc., x-rays, you go to the dentist, eye doc -where they will dilate your eyes so you can't see anything clear for the rest of the day. Drug test, hearing test and a final chat with the flight surgeon. I think that is it.

top_gun

top_gun
The only thing you need to know going into the flight physical that was left out of the previous responce is you are going to get violated by the Dr., so be prepared for it. I was told nothing about it so it came as quite the surprise.

The eye drops are awesome, you will have huge pupils and can creep people out because you look like a freak. Good luck!

schmied

OCS 188 Air
Oh man that sucks!! I didn't get violated @ MEPS or @ the flight physical. The doc must have liked you two...I'm just kidding, I guess I just got lucky.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
yeah... no violation here either, just a visual inspection. You get an EKG, resting and raised heart rate, two eye exams (the second of which requires your eyes to be dialated [dont worry, they put in numbing drops before the dialation drops]), about ten vials of blood work (a lot more than MEPS), hearing, dental (most people including me get this after the eye exams, so you can't read the medical forms you are signing), they go over the color vision test again, they send you walking all over the place, you wait a lot, UA, and thats about it. Good luck, it's not that bad.

SFgirl

As a female, all I got were the eye exams, pee in a cup, EKG, the resting and raised heart rate, the hearing tests, the blood work, chest x-ray, dental and more eye exams. I did my dental before they dilated my eyes though... and the hearing test had me so paranoid that I got the "you are depressing the button when there is no sound" message once :icon_tong ... woops

ip568

None
It's gotten better

A Flight Physical used to be required every year until they found that if they did one just every four years, with brief physicals in the other three years, there was no difference in the chance of in-flight incapacitation. The full physical is a good idea when you enter active duty, but doing it every year seems semseless. It simply meant a full day of your blood, urine, semen, stools, and other substances being sucked by E-2 hospitalman trainees. Then they'd make you so nervous that your BP spiked, resulting in a "down for high blood pressure," which had to be overcome by another week of going to the flight surgeon every day to have it re-checked.

Some really stupid stuff, although the Navy has gotten better at it.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
semen? I never had my emen checked? and when you word it like you did, it really looks bad.

LIFTER

one thing . .. . ..

DO NOT drive home after you get those damn eye drops. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, and drove home during a typical blindingly-bright Southern California morning.

i'm lucky that I made it, to say the least.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
makoslim said:
semen? I never had my emen checked? and when you word it like you did, it really looks bad.

The semen test is the worst, they draw it straight from your testicles like it was a blood test. I never want to do it again.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Taxman2A said:
The semen test is the worst, they draw it straight from your testicles like it was a blood test. I never want to do it again.

By the way, this was a lie. Of course there's no semen test, jesus christ!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Taxman2A said:

good God... :icon_mi_5 :watching_

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Taxman2A said:

Your one sick man Taxman... reading that made me cringe

Status
Not open for further replies.