• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight physical prior to OCS?

Fetter

Has anyone (in the last year or so) been sent down to p-cola for the flight physical before they went to PLC-C? My OSO consistently tells me that I have to complete OCS first, but I really can't understand why the corps will grant me an air contract and ship me to ocs before I'm 100% qualified.

Thanks

Lonestar155

is good to go
There was 4 guys that haven't even gone to OCS and they were at the flight physical. Two guys got NPQ'd that had already attended OCS. Your either confused by what your OSO told you, or don't even question it.
One thing I forgot to mention is that you must have a flight physical 6months prior to commissioning. So with that sad, once you complete OCS you will fit into that time frame when you can attend the flight physical. Those 4 guys that attended the flight physical were doing direction commission in the Jan. class. So ya that makes sense why he is making you go to OCS first.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
My recruiter told me I couldn't get a flight physical before OCS when asked directly. He is Navy, howeva.

Fetter

There was 4 guys that haven't even gone to OCS and they were at the flight physical. Two guys got NPQ'd that had already attended OCS. Your either confused by what your OSO told you, or don't even question it.
One thing I forgot to mention is that you must have a flight physical 6months prior to commissioning. So with that sad, once you complete OCS you will fit into that time frame when you can attend the flight physical. Those 4 guys that attended the flight physical were doing direction commission in the Jan. class. So ya that makes sense why he is making you go to OCS first.

Okay, so they don't want to send me for repeat trips because I won't be finishing school until Dec 09; makes sense. The OSO is confident that I'll be qualified and tries to reassure me of that, but really there are so many nami-whammys out there it makes me nervous.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm contracted for OCC-200 in Jan. My flight physical is scheduled for Dec 8-10.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Is there any way to get a Navy flight physical on my own dime? It would be nice to not have to worry about being NPQd for the 2 years of BDCP in which i'll be waiting.

smwatson82

This is a bit of an old thread, but in response to the OP, here is what I picked up when I went for my flight physical in the beginning of December:

OCC guys get their flight physical pre-OCS
PLC guys get their flight physical post-OCS

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Is there any way to get a Navy flight physical on my own dime? It would be nice to not have to worry about being NPQd for the 2 years of BDCP in which i'll be waiting.
No idea, but it's totally not worth it... and here's why.
If you NPQ now, you're a 2 years out BDCP guy. Then you become a college student who just lost his paychecks and has no set career on graduation. Why is anyone going to try to keep you in the Navy?
If you NPQ in 2 years, they've dumped money into you. I know that would make me feel safer about my waiver if I needed one. You're already at least at OCS and there's an investment in your success. Plus you could always redesignate.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the flight physical and the physical that you get at MEPS?
Search. Flight physical is much more stringent.

Fetter

This is a bit of an old thread, but in response to the OP, here is what I picked up when I went for my flight physical in the beginning of December:

OCC guys get their flight physical pre-OCS
PLC guys get their flight physical post-OCS

Thanks. I do wonder if waivers would be more easily granted once one completes OCS/PLC. I mean if someone can endure OCS, I'd think they can endure the rigors of flight. I could be underestimating the stresses an aviator encounters, but I would think that many ground MOS types require a higher level of fitness and overall health qualifications. However, pilots are responsible for more expensive equipment and that must be the big issue.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
I have a random question about Flight Physicals...

If TBS is still backed up, as it has been recently (to my knowledge) would going PTAD at my OSO's Office be another way to get a flight phys before TBS?

I plan to ask my OSO this later this week, but I figured I would ask here as well, to see if anyone had prior experience with this.