• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fleet Battles Backlog at Flight School

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like 1993-1995 (article stated 1995) when I went through. I was lucky, I only waited 8 months to start API but many folks waited over 12 months. Of course there weren't T-34C issues either at the time.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bunk, do you know about these rudder issues? This was the first I've heard of it (although I did know that maintenance on the birds wasn't improving).

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Bunk, do you know about these rudder issues? This was the first I've heard of it (although I did know that maintenance on the birds wasn't improving).

***Scuttlebutt*** During a routine inspection they found a crack in the rail the rudders slide along (or something like that). Come to find out there was not a scheduled inspection for that particular part. When other aircraft were inspected they found a boat load of planes with the same issue. As stated the fix is pretty involved and here we are. ***End Scuttlebutt***

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
As a frame of reference - I graduate college on May, 6th 2000 and started API exactly a week later. Had to drive back to Gainesville over the next two weekends to finish moving all my stuff.

exo

kmac,
The issue was cracks in the bracket that holds the rudders in position. They downed the whole fleet once because they found the cracks in ONE rudder bracket and checked them all in a couple hour inspection. Two days later, they downed the entire fleet again because they they decided it would be prudent to check the brackets with a something-scope for microscopic cracks..... which of course we didn't have on Det in Roswell. Once that inspection was over, which took about an hour longer and involved downing more plans on our Det, the entire TW4 fleet was downed again because TW5's maintenance guys sent the wrong instructions on how to inspect the rudder brackets and the TW4 maint. had to repeat the whole process out in Roswell.

I don't know what the article is talking about how the repairs took six weeks because most of our det birds were back up in about 3-4 days.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
kmac,
The issue was cracks in the bracket that holds the rudders in position. They downed the whole fleet once because they found the cracks in ONE rudder bracket and checked them all in a couple hour inspection. Two days later, they downed the entire fleet again because they they decided it would be prudent to check the brackets with a something-scope for microscopic cracks..... which of course we didn't have on Det in Roswell. Once that inspection was over, which took about an hour longer and involved downing more plans on our Det, the entire TW4 fleet was downed again because TW5's maintenance guys sent the wrong instructions on how to inspect the rudder brackets and the TW4 maint. had to repeat the whole process out in Roswell.

I don't know what the article is talking about how the repairs took six weeks because most of our det birds were back up in about 3-4 days.

How many airplanes did you have on det? Or rather, how many maintainers per airplane did you have? It's easy to finish a workload quickly when it is a small load and you have some help.

exo

At that point in the det we had about 20-23 planes, as far as how many maintainers... I have no idea how many. Total there were about 20 guys there, I'm not sure how many of them were actually guys who would be turning wrenches on the planes. The hanger could only fit about max 3 planes...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The T-6 cannot come fast enough. Is VT-2 or VT-6 next? January, right?

RUMORINT in PCola said it was issues with corrosion in the wing spar on the tubro weenie. No more studs to CC until october.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
At that point in the det we had about 20-23 planes, as far as how many maintainers... I have no idea how many. Total there were about 20 guys there, I'm not sure how many of them were actually guys who would be turning wrenches on the planes. The hanger could only fit about max 3 planes...

Damn, would be nice if it only took a few days to fix at Whiting.

The T-6 cannot come fast enough. Is VT-2 or VT-6 next? January, right?

RUMORINT in PCola said it was issues with corrosion in the wing spar on the tubro weenie. No more studs to CC until october.

6 is next. 2 is last.

Same rumor is jumping around MATSG. We haven't sent a guy to Corpus in a while.

exo

There have been corrosion on the wing spars for a long time. It's one of the reasons there are so many birds sitting around at Corpus never being flown. Our skipper told us that they had received some additional funding several months ago to replace those degraded wing spars and a lot of those birds should be operational by mid summer. And although I'm sure it's optimistic, he said we should be back to a normal full schedule by mid summer. If anything, the backlog has been reduced in Corpus as of late, though there are still people who are waiting till fall to class up. People get lucky though, there are a fair amount of JG's close to finishing primary now, whereas I'm a couple weeks from finishing and have been in the program about 7 months. It's pretty hard to predict with the swings that there are.