• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FITREP Code Words

MasterBates

What do you mean there Van Wilder, isn't the o'club hook sled you built a FITREP bullet? It should be.

Actually I did get an observed FITREP from TW-2 for my work with the Aviation Greens, KingKat and MWR in general, plus helping out some struggling SNAs.

Bevo16

pilot
I hate to wedge a (somewhat) serious comment in the middle of decent humor, but I'll do it anyway.

The key with "potential" is the word right before it. If you are writing a fitrep on an AW3 who is shit hot, and you put that he has "Officer Potential" that's good. If your skipper says that you have "a lot of potential as an officer and aviator" when you are two years into your JO tour, that's bad.

My chain of command did a great job taking care of me and my fitreps when I had to leave the squadron. There was no way that they could give me an EP, but they made sure to note what the special circumstanecs were. They were honest, the situation sucked, it was not my fault, and I still have a lot of good things in front of me.

As a JO, read up on how to write these things, and get into your guy's file and read their previous fitreps. You will figure out why some sailors got promoted and why others didn't.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a funny comment, but going back to the earlier comments of the thread, how far back do they consider FITREPs in aviation? I got an observed one while stashed (it was good, at least I think so, considering I'm not qualified to do anything) and I'm just curious how this whole thing works.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Here's a couple of additional [serious] comments on this topic. If you want to learn how to write good FITREP's you should immediately contact your community manager and volunteer to be an assistant recorder on a statutory selection board or command screen board. During your time as a recorder you'll see two things up close--(1) hundreds of FITREPS from all officer communities, and (2) a bunch of senior officers slicing and dicing FITREPS into digestible briefing chunks for the sessions in the "tank." At the end of the week (or two) you will know more than you ever thought possible about how to write, what's important to write about, and how to manage a wardroom of officers so that those that deserve to play another day can do so without becoming cannon fodder for each other.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Here's a couple of additional [serious] comments on this topic. If you want to learn how to write good FITREP's you should immediately contact your community manager and volunteer to be an assistant recorder on a statutory selection board or command screen board. During your time as a recorder you'll see two things up close--(1) hundreds of FITREPS from all officer communities, and (2) a bunch of senior officers slicing and dicing FITREPS into digestible briefing chunks for the sessions in the "tank." At the end of the week (or two) you will know more than you ever thought possible about how to write, what's important to write about, and how to manage a wardroom of officers so that those that deserve to play another day can do so without becoming cannon fodder for each other.

I can't second this enough. It is probably the best "easy" thing you can do to help yourself out.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
It's good to know that the Navy/USMC performance evaluation system is just a jacked up as the USAF's.

In the "ironed flight suit and scarf" service, our performance reports consist of both an objective and subjective system.

In the objective system, there are 5 or so categories that you are simply marked "Meets Standards" or "Does Not Meet Standards".

This means that the objective system -- the comments -- are required to adhere to all the same buzzword rules, having strong first and last lines, and stratifications that it sound like the USN/USMC ones must.

The USAF's current myopic point of attention is on numeric stratification (e.g. #1 of 69), so this leads to some rather creative ways of determining this stratification when writing reports.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Still, to this day, one of my favorites:

"Can normally be assigned tasks with limited supervision."

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As a FASO OIC signing evals for my PO1s:

"Ranks 20 of 15 PO1s assigned to the detachment"
"There are at least 5 PO1s not assigned to this detachment who provide greater service to fulfilling our mission than this Sailor."

I ran it by the CO first, he said to go for it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Slight course correction:

I did one enlisted eval that included the following in the write-up:

"Airman **** is conspicuous by virtue of his repeated absences" ...

The CO liked it .... :)

Airman **** agreed w/ it; but he did NOT like the 13th Naval District Brig that I sent him to, however ... :)

/slight course correction ...

H60Gunner

Contributor
I always liked "Well rounded" Body fat percentage 26%. Back in the day when body fat percentage was reported in block 20 of enlisted eval. Not mine!

I also have an eval (my own) that reports on the very top line "Sailor of the Year". Then the very next line says no shit "Number two of fifteen outstanding First Class Petty Officers". Didn't make Chief that year!

Do NOT do that to your people, there can only be one "number one" trying to fool the board only makes you look stooopid. And probably makes them say WTF, NEXT!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's good to know that the Navy/USMC performance evaluation system is just a jacked up as the USAF's.

In the "ironed flight suit and scarf" service, our performance reports consist of both an objective and subjective system.

In the objective system, there are 5 or so categories that you are simply marked "Meets Standards" or "Does Not Meet Standards".

This means that the objective system -- the comments -- are required to adhere to all the same buzzword rules, having strong first and last lines, and stratifications that it sound like the USN/USMC ones must.

The USAF's current myopic point of attention is on numeric stratification (e.g. #1 of 69), so this leads to some rather creative ways of determining this stratification when writing reports.

The USMC's is at least better than THAT.

The comments mean a lot, but the marks for RS and RO are marked on a 7 point scale in 14 categories. The marks on an individual are rated against that RS or RO's historical average so that inflation is largely taken out of the picture.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Fair enough for those of you who will be writing O evals anytime soon. For those of us who will sign off E evals in the semi-near future, is there any good guidance? Or is the verbage similar? Have never really seen either in detail....