• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
They're not real happy with the Akula they were supposed to get either. Maybe they'll still buy the Shitty Kitty!

Shpion1

Contributor
India and CMO

They're not real happy with the Akula they were supposed to get either. Maybe they'll still buy the Shitty Kitty!

Mumbles, think the Kitty purchase was a "scare" tactic to get the Russians to fix the Gorshkov sometime this millenium at something close to plus half of original contract. No real intention to sell or buy.

Akula having it's own problems, heck as far as I remember without going too deep it was a later hull number that sat incomplete for a number of years too in Komsomolks na Amur. Weather not too cool over there either.

Nice to get them to buy some of our stuff. Also gets them away from the Russian materials which although they are capable with, not too much support on the back end which hurts them a lot. And the Russians do play hardball with their stuff as far as quid-pro-quo. We do to with the Pressler ammendment (see Pak F-16s) but we're quite a bit more reasonable than the Russkies. Hopefully we'll sell them some Rhinos too and move into other arenas. We need a good ally in that arena to counterballance the PRC growth. having a capable ASW ally who flies same birds as we do can't hurt.

The CMO being shitcanned really surprized me...not because of the concept, but while I was at Wing 11 couple of years ago, it seems that CMO is all that the Commodore, MO and OPSO did. Poor MO, if I see him I'll buy drinks all night, cause he worked that freaking thing day and night, and wasn't too convinced that it would work, but was given his marching orders.

P-8 will be good for the community. Saw earlier guys talking about 6 or 7 birds per squadron. At this point, who gives a shit. Having 4 up birds per squadron is a memory that not too many can recall. Good bird, capable, and more so as they add more stuff on to it. If only the WarPig will make it through the phase in period. And that new hangar next to 30 looks pretty sweet.

Just saw the request from NAVFAC for the Design/build for the sim building. that thing is going to be huge. Don't think that they went with our recommendation for an overpass for pedestrians across Yorktown. crossing that street gonna be a bitch.

MiG15

pilot
None
P-8 Timeline

Any updates on when the P-8 will show up to the RAG and/or squadron(s)?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Here's what the final report says in that regard:

There is a novel approach at play here with lower number of aircraft per squadron and considerably less personnel to maintain it. Boeing sold the concept based on Airliner legacy support. I have no doubts that many eyes will be on the forst squadrons to transition comparing what was predicting with what actually happens. There will be plenty of time while production line is still hot to add more for pipeline or attrition or whatever. India is close to buying some and there will likely be an EP-3 replacement based on the P-8A now that Army fell on their faces with ACS so the line will be open for forseeable future (Boeing will likely work hard to ensure it stays that way).

p8amma.jpg

As to picture, I chose that one because I see the "other" one every time I drive to Pax and this was a refreshing change. I willing to bet it was to show a Himalayan type background perhaps (in support of prposal to India perhaps?). How's these two^^vv?

AIR_P-8A_MMA_Changed_Wing_lg.jpg

The reason Boeing used the mountainous background is because they do all of the 737 test flights out of Renton Field near Seattle and that is the local landscape. They use the mountainous background in a lot of their posters.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I was in primary, they showed us a promo video where it emerged from under-sea and climbed out of the water and into a severe thunderstorm. I hope they are doing that at the Renton plant too, cause that would be bad ass

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the transition to the P-8, and the lack of a replacement (yet) for the EP-3, will there be a training pipeline split for those headed P-8 and those headed EP-3, at least until the EP-3 replacement shows up?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
With the transition to the P-8, and the lack of a replacement (yet) for the EP-3, will there be a training pipeline split for those headed P-8 and those headed EP-3, at least until the EP-3 replacement shows up?

Through the training command, no. Supposedly in 5 years the TC-12s will be gone and all multi-engine students will fly T-44Cs. That includes E-6 bubbas. I do not know VP-30s plans for this.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any idea what might happen on the NFO side of the house, considering we just go straight to VP-30?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Ahh, forgive my single-anchor master race mentality... I haven't heard any rumors of the NFO pipeline changing, I think P-8 planning was one of the reasons they send SNFOs straight to VP-30 now.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That music actually played everytime I flew the C-12. The P8 will probably get a whole new soundtrack.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good Lord . . . that's like Stealth, but cheesier.